Who do you think will be the new coach at Penn State?

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Who do you think will be the new coach at Penn State?

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Penn State is one of the "big boys" and can no doubt land one of the top coaches in football. Since Penn State will probably start from scratch and clean house, who do you think the Lions will bring in as coach?

VegasEagle
Varsity

Re: Who do you think will be the new coach at Penn State?

Post by VegasEagle »

I think the guy who is coaching the rest of the season hes been there for like 30 years

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

Matt Millen

VegasEagle
Varsity

Post by VegasEagle »

tigercannon71 wrote:Matt Millen
Never thought of him very well could be though

fightingtigers45
S

Post by fightingtigers45 »

Urban is more likely to take this job than the one in Columbus.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Some talk is to get rid of everyone. It may have been a good job before but whoever comes in will have a lot of national coverage of their every move. As well as all the assistants and those who will replace those who lost their jobs.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

It will be incredibly hard to get a top level coach right now for PSU.

Nobody is going to touch this with a 10 foot pole!
By the time legal gets done with PSU, they'll be much poorer and much harder to recruit to.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

Why would Urban take the Penn State job? The recruits are gone and as of now you dont know how many coaches might be fired or whats going to happen. At Ohio State he talent, recruiting wont be a problem, and aside from any punihsment from the NCAA he knows what he is getting into.

I threw out Millens name because he has been all over Sportscenter talking about this and he did play at Penn State.

fightingtigers45
S

tigercannon71 wrote:Why would Urban take the Penn State job? The recruits are gone and as of now you dont know how many coaches might be fired or whats going to happen. At Ohio State he talent, recruiting wont be a problem, and aside from any punihsment from the NCAA he knows what he is getting into.

I threw out Millens name because he has been all over Sportscenter talking about this and he did play at Penn State.
Less pressure, ability to completely clean house.

You don't think Urban could recruit there? Lol.

Truth be told, I think he wants this job.

And I didn't say he would take it. Said more likely. I don't think he will take any job this offseason.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Less pressure with national media watching every move the coach and everyone there makes. Including every recruit who comes in and every mistake they made or will make. Also how many players that are there now will want to transfer.

The_Legend_of_Northwest
All State

Post by The_Legend_of_Northwest »

LOL, I missed this thread and started my own.

I was thinking maybe a Pat Fitzgerald or Mike Leach. Most likely I think Tom Bradley will keep as a way to try and supply some stability to the program

fightingtigers45
S

farmer wrote:Less pressure with national media watching every move the coach and everyone there makes. Including every recruit who comes in and every mistake they made or will make. Also how many players that are there now will want to transfer.
You think a lot of players will transfer away from Urban Meyer?

Also, Urban will have pressure wherever he goes. But PSU won't demand a win now atmosphere the first year or two. They will allow Urban to be Urban.

At OSU, he is facing the NCAA and a fan base as demanding as the one he just left.

The Flying Dutchman
Varsity

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

If PSU cleans house and hires Meyer, I don't think many players transfer. As far as recruiting goes Meyer would have no trouble simply because of his success everywhere he has been. As long as any coach associated with the past is gone then Meyer and his staff would be under no scrutiny because they had nothing to do with this. I think some of you are simply afraid to think what Meyer could do at PSU and hope he ends up at OSU instead.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

have they named an interim coach. i would figure it to likely be galen hall. i'm pretty sure he's the o-coordinator. and has a wealth of coaching experience.and was the head coach at florida years ago.

The_Legend_of_Northwest
All State

They named Tom Bradley the interim coach he was the DC

WitnessProtection
All Conference

Post by WitnessProtection »

Tom Bradley will coach the rest of 2011. I could see him keeping the job for a few years.

Urban Myer is a likely candidate. His record speaks for itself. Not sure if he will actually go back into coaching or not, though. I think Momma Myer likes having him on a shorter leash.

I like Pat Fitzgerald. Younger guy. Lots of charisma and energy. He's done a fine job with Northwestern -- 3 bowls in his first 5 seasons.

Miami's Al Golden is a PSU alum and would be a great candidate. He said Wednesday that he's committed to The U, though.

I really like Chris Peterson from Boise State. He's innovative and would bring a different dynamic to Happy Valley. I doubt he wants to leave Boise, though. He's sittin' on a gold mine out there right now.

Paul Johnson from Georgia Tech is another guy who I think would make a good candidate. He's got that program going in the right direction. He's been a winner everywhere he's coached - Georgia So., Navy and GT. Two 1-AA titles with GSU. Bowl appearances in 5 of his 6 seasons with Navy. At GT, 3 bowls in his first three seasons. Tech is 7-2 so far in 2011. In 15 years as a head coach, he's only had 2 losing seasons.

Mizzou's Gary Pinkel would be a decent choice. Mizzou has six straight winning seasons under Pinkel (4-5 this year, though) and 7 bowls since he took over in 2001. Also won 3 Big 12 North titles in the last 4 seasons.

Mike Leach ... hmmm. The pirate captain is an offensive genius, but I don't think he's what Penn State really needs right now. Or ever. lol

The_Legend_of_Northwest
All State

The reason I put Mike Leach on my list is the fact that he makes the team instantly watchable.

VegasEagle
Varsity

Post by VegasEagle »

Just got off the phone with Urban he said nope and laughed

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

Guys, this is the very tip of the iceberg!
If details that come out in the coming days/weeks are true, then you can kiss Penn st goodbye.
Not just as a football program, but as a school.

The department of education will be investigating wrong doing.

There are two investigative journalists following a lead that Sandusky was using the youth program to pimp young boys to prominent PSU boosters!

The local media has had info on Sandusky since 98, and have withheld the stories for fear that JoePa would have them black balled!

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

seofan_via_dublin wrote:Guys, this is the very tip of the iceberg!
If details that come out in the coming days/weeks are true, then you can kiss Penn st goodbye.
Not just as a football program, but as a school.

The department of education will be investigating wrong doing.

There are two investigative journalists following a lead that Sandusky was using the youth program to pimp young boys to prominent PSU boosters!

The local media has had info on Sandusky since 98, and have withheld the stories for fear that JoePa would have them black balled!
Ouch!!! This is on the fast track to being the biggest scandal of all-time in college football history!!!! Actually, perhaps the biggest scandal in all of collegiate athletics/academics period!!

Return to “College Sports”