USC Coach's Point of View

Orestes
S

USC Coach's Point of View

Post by Orestes »

This is a post from another site. This guy posted last year saying he was connected to a couple USC coaches, and said that they felt they would win easily because OSU's older players were not as talented as the more recent recruits. He also posted before the game saying what the USC coaches thought of the match-up and it turned out to be pretty spot on... Here is his post-game post... Again, not my thoughts...

I posted on here on Friday about my Dad's friend out in So Cal that is friends with 2 USC coaches and their pregame comments, just to recap.

1. They were extremely scared of our defense - BINGO

2. They were going to dumb down their offense so that Barkley didn't lose the game - BINGO

3. They were going to scheme to shut down Pryor and they thought they could - BINGO

4. The winning team would have under 20 points - BINGO

Well, I just talked to my Dad's friend because he asked me to buy him a few programs and I needed to get his address. I asked if he has had a chance to talk to his friends on the staff. He said he had and this is what he said:

1. Saturday was the best college football atmosphere he had ever been in. No other place has even been close. He actually kind of felt bad for the fans because they wanted and needed the victory so much. He stopped short of saying he felt bad for the OSU coaches and players.

2. It was very frustrating for USC's o-line and d-line. He said that OSU dominated them on both sides in the trenches. He said that after a few possessions, USC made some adjustments and Ohio State recognized them very quickly and re-adjusted and continued to dominate.

3. He thought JT called a good game.

4. He thought the difference in the game was TP's INT to start off. He said that the USC players could tell that TP lost all of his confidence after that and looked like a different player. Even though there were only a few plays before, they could tell a difference and started to scheme around his lack of confidence. He said that if that pick wouldn't have happened he believes TP would have had a much better game.

5. He said that Ohio State is the best team that USC has played since the '05 Texas team and that our defense and o-line play was better then Texas. That Texas team has us beat at the QB, RB and WR positions.

6. He truly believes that barring any letdown, Ohio State will run the table from here on out.

qualified101
SEO

Re: USC Coach's Point of View

Post by qualified101 »

i will play devils advocate.

of course they will say that now that they have won. usc wants college football to think that it was a bigger win than what it actually was while also providing an excuse for the close game. why would usc want say anything bad about tressel, they have owned him and dont want him to leave. its called marketing. they are marketing their team for the post season.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

qualified101 wrote:i will play devils advocate.

of course they will say that now that they have won. usc wants college football to think that it was a bigger win than what it actually was while also providing an excuse for the close game. why would usc want say anything bad about tressel, they have owned him and dont want him to leave. its called marketing. they are marketing their team for the post season.

Marketing to whom? This was a private conversation that one side decided to post on a message board. It wasn't a media interview.

Last year, the same coach felt that OSU didn't have the athletes across the board, but that OSU was beginning to pull them in with regularity. The guy didn't really mince words.

I think people are forgetting that USC in "big stage" non conference games has absolutely destroyed their opponents (Big 10, Big 12, and SEC alike). They have only struggled or lost against weak teams and Pac10 opponents who see them every year. This has happened for 6 or 7 straight years. Then again, since OSU appeared to be as good if not better (had them on the ropes all night), this must be the random year that they suck.

Billy Hoyle
Waterboy

Post by Billy Hoyle »

If OSU had any ability whatsoever to throw the ball down the field they would have won this game. They just don't have confidence in Pryor's ability to stretch the field vertically and until they do, it'll be the same ole Buckeyes

fightingtigers45
S

Post by fightingtigers45 »

this must be the random year that they suck.

Im not saying they suck...but I will say this...this USC team isnt as good as any USC team in the last 5+ years...Every season they have had a veteran QB who has been in the system (Palmer, Leinart, Booty, Sanchez)...Now they have a freshman...Also...they lost so much from last years incredible defense...In my opinion, if Ohio State was going to beat USC they had to do it Saturday...This is USC's down year...The sad thing is, they are down but they are still a top five team.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

fightingtigers45 wrote:

Im not saying they suck...but I will say this...this USC team isnt as good as any USC team in the last 5+ years...Every season they have had a veteran QB who has been in the system (Palmer, Leinart, Booty, Sanchez)...Now they have a freshman...Also...they lost so much from last years incredible defense...In my opinion, if Ohio State was going to beat USC they had to do it Saturday...This is USC's down year...The sad thing is, they are down but they are still a top five team.

Leinart was a sophomore in 2003, which yes, is big compared to a true freshman.

However, Barkley did beat out Corp and Mustain (who played significantly as a true freshman for the SEC West champions). Otherwise, they have the O-line back, most of the WRs back, the FB back, and their RBs back.

Revisionist history at its best, as people were predicting OSU to get man-handled or hammered before the game. Well, not here on an Ohio-based message board, but among present non-OSU fans and people nationwide.

fightingtigers45
S

Orestes wrote:
fightingtigers45 wrote:

Leinart was a sophomore in 2003, which yes, is big compared to a true freshman.

However, Barkley did beat out Corp and Mustain (who played significantly as a true freshman for the SEC West champions). Otherwise, they have the O-line back, most of the WRs back, the FB back, and their RBs back.

Revisionist history at its best, as people were predicting OSU to get man-handled or hammered before the game. Well, not here on an Ohio-based message board, but among present non-OSU fans and people nationwide.

Leinart was a redshirt sophomore in 2003, so that means he was in the system for two years before taking over. Barkley has been there since January.

Mustain was undefeated for Arkansas, I believe, but never really showed any great passing skills...He relied on giving the ball to Darren McFadden and Felix Jones. Ultimately, he lost the job to Casey Dick.

I thought OSU would lose by a few scores as well, but their defense surprised me a bit. It was better than I originally thought. As good as they played, they buckled when it mattered the most.

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

Yeah, but when you're on the field all night against USC's offense, they are bound to score at some point. OSU's O gave the D little help.

I think like Meyer and Carroll, JT needs an O-coordinator.

fightingtigers45
S

Orestes wrote:Yeah, but when you're on the field all night against USC's offense, they are bound to score at some point. OSU's O gave the D little help.

I think like Meyer and Carroll, JT needs an O-coordinator.

JT's offense was great in 2005 and 2006 with Troy Smith, Santonio, and Gonzo...I understand the talent isnt what it was then, but it seems as if the ability to get things done has diminished as well...I wonder why that is? Is it because Tressel is a bad coach? No. JT is a good coach, he just lacks some cajones at times.

Return to “College Sports”