College Football Playoff Committee Recommends 12 Team Playoff

Omega
SEOPS H

College Football Playoff Committee Recommends 12 Team Playoff

Post by Omega »

IRVING, Texas – A sub-group of College Football Playoff's (CFP) management committee today presented a proposal to change the current four-team format to a 12-team event.

The proposal was made to the full CFP management committee and is the first step in a process that will not conclude before this fall.

"The four-team format has been very popular and is a big success," the members of the four-person working group said in a statement. "But it's important that we consider the opportunity for more teams and more student-athletes to participate in the playoff. After reviewing numerous options, we believe this proposal is the best option to increase participation, enhance the regular season and grow the national excitement of college football."

The working group was appointed by their management committee colleagues and has met over a two-year period to discuss possible new formats. The proposal calls for the bracket each year to include the six highest-ranked conference champions, plus the six highest-ranked other teams as determined by the College Football Playoff selection committee. No conference would qualify automatically and there would be no limit on the number of participants from a conference.

The four highest-ranked conference champions would be seeded one through four and each would receive a first-round bye, while teams seeded five through 12 would play each other in the first round on the home field of the higher-ranked team. (The team ranked #5 would host #12; team #6 would meet team #11; team #7 would play team #10; and team #8 would meet #9.) Under the proposal, the quarterfinals and semifinals would be played in bowl games. The championship game would continue to be at a neutral site, as under the current format.

The four members of the working group (Big 12 Conference Commissioner Bob Bowlsby, Southeastern Conference Commissioner Greg Sankey, Mountain West Conference Commissioner Craig Thompson, and Notre Dame Athletics Director Jack Swarbrick) presented their recommendation today during a virtual meeting of the full management committee that administers the CFP. (excerpt)

https://collegefootballplayoff.com/news ... posal.aspx

The pursuit of money is the root of all evil or GO BUCKS!

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
countywide35
SEOP

Re: College Football Playoff Committee Recommends 12 Team Playoff

Post by countywide35 »

Literally just read this and was about to post it up.
Good work Omega.

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

it’s definitely a big business and I do think that eventually it will be at a 12team format.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

countywide35 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:44 pm it’s definitely a big business and I do think that eventually it will be at a 12team format.
I am old. I was happy with the old non BCS bowl game set up. I think it generated more actual interest in college football than the CFP does now. I will always root for the Buckeyes to make the playoffs, but it would be nice to see some new teams in contention.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Omega wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:17 pm
countywide35 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:44 pm it’s definitely a big business and I do think that eventually it will be at a 12team format.
I am old. I was happy with the old non BCS bowl game set up. I think it generated more actual interest in college football than the CFP does now. I will always root for the Buckeyes to make the playoffs, but it would be nice to see some new teams in contention.

Agreed. Snd I think this 12team format will generate a new team in the finals. At some point. They will will be the big upsets now. The low seed upset the high. Also eliminated will be the non power 5 left out. The coastal Carolinas UCF Boise State type seasons. Will now get to be a part of this ? Is that correct ?

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Omega wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:17 pm

Shmaybe on the UCF's. I think the current CFP setup and contract with ESPN runs through the 2025 season and five seasons is a long time where anything can change. With college players now being able to get paid for use of their name, likeness, and image, who knows what the unintended consequences be?

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Another benefit to playoff expansion to 12 teams is it could lead to more exciting nonconference games in the regular season. We could see more powerhouses face each other in the regular season when there is no fear that a loss will jeopardize a playoff bid.

For example, you could have Ohio State and Clemson play a home and home series. The loser of that game will still be a top 12 team if they win out. The loser of that game will likely still be a top 12 team in most years even if they go on to lose a second game during the regular season.

Fans win by seeing more interesting regular season matchups. Fans also win by not feeling like the season is over - or in danger of being over - with a loss in these big game events during the regular season.

purpleblood1
JV Team

Post by purpleblood1 »

It might happen, but I think it won't happen for 5-10 years since the (N)ational (C)ommunist (A)gainst (A)thletes will finally allow this to happen.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

I liked 8 teams better but it's better than just 4. I hate seeing a good deserving team get knocked out with one tough loss. It will keep more fans into their teams for championship hopes. Agree with the previous post it will probably be awhile before we see this.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

I read on article the day this was released that it could begin as soon as 2023. it would not happen in 2021 and actually would or could not be voted on until fall of 2022. The 10 year contract that we are in now actually allows changes to be made and contract to be renegotiated early. so this could be just a couple of years.

The NCAA really has no say in college football championship and haven't since really late 80's or early 90's. I think we will see some kind of expansion in 2023 but i still don't believe this 12 team plan is the only plan out there.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

I have always said this is the best way to do it:

8 team playoff
*5 teams from the Power 5 conference champions
*3 at large bids- to qualify they must have either won their conference (MAC, USA, Sun Belt, etc) or won their division of the conference (Conference runner up in the Power 5)

#1 plays #8
2 plays 7 and so forth

Top 4 seeds HOST the first round (bring some southern teams up north for a change and let the top 4 schools make more money by hosting)
Second and 3rd round of the playoff goes to a Bowl based independent venue

Seems so logical that I would see them never going to this lol.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Big time college football will always follow the greene$t pathway. Playoffs and pay for play recruiting (name, image and likeness compensation). Buckle up for the ride, change is coming.

Valenth
SEOP

Post by Valenth »

In the end to expand as much as 12 teams.. you know they're wanting more games... the NCAA and Bowl series is looking at $$$

Return to “College Sports”