Ohio State 41 Tulsa 20

Omega
SEOPS H

Ohio State 41 Tulsa 20

Post by Omega »

A game in which the only question should have been who is Ohio State's backup quarterback, suddenly has intense scrutiny on the Buckeye defense.

The Bucks, coming off a 35-28 upset loss to Oregon , have some bleak defensive stats**:

Scoring defense: 33 points per game (tied for 109th nationally, 12th in the Big Ten)

Total defense: 456.5 yards per game (112th nationally, 13th in the Big Ten)

Pass defense: 236 yards per game (122nd nationally, 11th in the Big Ten)

Rush defense: 203 yards per game (102nd nationally, 14th in the Big Ten)

Opponent third down conversions: 53.33 percent (tied for 117th nationally, 14th in the Big Ten)

Opponent red zone conversions: 100 percent (tied for 89th nationally, tied for 9th in the Big Ten)

Sacks: 2 (tied for 102nd nationally, 12th in the Big Ten)

Tulsa is 0-2, coming off a 28- 23 loss to Oklahoma State. Their earlier loss was 19-17 to FCS school UC Davis.

Kick off is 3:30 pm and will be broadcast on FS1 cable. TOSU is any where from 27.5 to 31 point favorites. I hope I am wrong, but I see another struggle with the Bucks winning 42-31. We can blame scheme all day long, but sometimes your players do not live up to their recruiting rankings.

** stats from 24/7 Bucknuts

https://247sports.com/college/ohio-stat ... 70826577_2
Last edited by Omega on Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Re: Tulsa (0-2) @ #9 Ohio State (1-1) 09/18/21

Post by Bleeding Red »

If you can't see deficiencies in the schemes ^^^^^^^ I can't take anything you say about college football seriously.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Bleeding Red wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:29 pm If you can't see deficiencies in the schemes ^^^^^^^ I can't take anything you say about college football seriously.
Red, I am of the school if you do not have the Jimmies and Joes, the X's and O's do not matter. Ohio State's d-line was being physically dominated and linebackers were being out run to the edge. I will buy scheme as to Coomb's inability / un-willingness to make adjustments as a game progresses , but what I saw the last season plus two games this year is that the OSU defense just does not have the talent advantage to simply dominate an opponent on sheer athleticism. If that's because of inadequate recruiting evaluation or poor player development, I do not know, but it is not normal to see OSU's defense being dictated to. Apparently Coach Day is upsetting the apple cart among the defensive coaches and players, so hopefully they will be better motivated to get results. It will be interesting to see what follows.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

need to get back on track and with it an attitude......biggest improvement all year is made from week 1 to week 2.......lets hope we see this

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
BigGuy10
Varsity

Post by BigGuy10 »

Tulsa isn't Oregon... Bucks will be ready this week as I'm sure Ryan Day has lit a fire under some people. Buckeyes offense will be fine, defense can get it shaped up. Buckeyes win 52-20

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

If Tulsa scores 20, it will be another big black eye for the OSU defense.

Offensively they will not be able to stop the Bucks. The question is.....where does this defense (or lack thereof) go from last week's loss vs Oregon.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Rumors of Ryan Day replacing Kerry Coombs as defensive play caller?

From the Columbus Dispatch via MSN:

Two days before Ohio State’s next game, coach Ryan Day said he still had not decided who will make defensive calls against Tulsa.

Day has not hidden his disappointment with the way the defense has played under coordinator Kerry Coombs. The unit had numerous breakdowns in Saturday’s 35-28 loss to Oregon, and Day promised changes.

He is still pondering them, including who will call the defense.
"I'm going to see how practice goes today, and probably make a decision tonight", Day said.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... NewsSearch

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Apparently there may be issues of unrest and mistrust amongst the OSU football team and staff. There are accusations floating that two internet "insider" writers for Buckeye Scoop:

• may have paid OSU player (s) to spy for inside team and
player information.

• may have improperly influenced the early enrollment of Quinn
Ewers with benefits outside of NIL from a Columbus
automobile dealership.

• may be fostering team dissension by planting rumors that
Kerry Coombs will be fired as DC sooner than later.

Hopefully these rumors are just rumors. There are no citations other than the two writers have been fired. Yet if there is any substance, it may explain part of the Buckeyes lackluster start to the season. Dissension, mistrust, and jealousy over NIL are not conducive to the concept of team.

Omega
SEOPS H

Re: Ohio State 41 Tulsa 20

Post by Omega »

Ohio State out lasts Tulsa 41-20 in a game that was closer than the final score.

The Good:

OSU rushed for 316 yards on 40 attempts with TreVeyon Henderson netting 277 for an OSU freshman rushing record previously held by Archie Griffin since 1972.

The Ohio State place kicking game with 2 field goals and 5 extra points.

Ohio State's defense showed moments of being the aggressors. They mixed up defense alignments, got some pressure on the QB, and showed at times some decent coverage from the secondary. They held Tulsa to 59 yards rushing on 28 attempts.

The Bad:

Tulsa gained 487 total yards with 428 coming through the air.

Ohio State committed 8 penalties for 71 yards.

OSU QB Stroud was not sharp, throwing 14-24 for 185 with one TD and one Int.

Game attendance was only 76,000.

The unknown:

Why does Ohio State keep rotating defensive players?

When will Stroud start to see the game slow down and take control?

Is OSU really that athletic? Are Ryan Days recruits soft, more finesse than power? Urban Meyer's players are mostly gone from the roster.

Is their some unknown dissension on the team? Discipline problems? Bruised ego's? Lingering covid?

The Buckeyes are simply in dissaray, moments of brilliance followed by mediocrity.

Return to “College Sports”