Ohio State 59 Akron 7 September 25, 2021

Omega
SEOPS H

Ohio State 59 Akron 7 September 25, 2021

Post by Omega »

The Akron Zips come to Columbus to serve as a test lab for Ohio State as the Buckeyes continue to search for consistency on offense and competence on defense.

Akron is coming of a 35-14 victory over Bryant University, an FCS team from Rhode Island. The Zips had previous losses to Auburn and Temple. The Zips are led by QB DJ Irons.

TOSU enters the game looking for an identity on offense. Do they ride the talent of TreVeyon Henderson running the ball? Do they seek to reestablish a passing game? Do they play other QBs to at least get some game experience for the backups?

The Buckeye defense is what it is, not good. Will the coaching staff continue to have tryouts on who will call the plays? Will the coaches finally figure out who the best eleven are on defense and actually play them as a unit?

At least following Ohio State games is interesting with outcomes in doubt until the fourth quarter and the stats providing more questions than answers.

The game is a 7:30 kick on the Big 10 Network. Rumors are circulating in Columbus there may be up to 45,000 empty seats in Ohio Stadium for this game.

Ohio State 45 Akron 28.
Last edited by Omega on Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Re: Akron (1-2) vs. #10 Ohio State (2-1) September 25, 2021

Post by Bleeding Red »

Absolutely zero chance Akron scores 28 points. They might score 10 with a late game garbage score.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Some sobering Ohio State defensive stats through three games:

#'s. Rank. Stat

28.7 90th POINTS ALLOWED PG
181.7 100th RUSH DEFENSE YPG
289.7 117th PASS DEFENSE YPG
471.3 118th TOTAL DEFENSE YPG
100% 104th OPPNENT RED ZONE SCORING SUCCESS

BigGuy10
Varsity

Post by BigGuy10 »

Ohio State has to find some leadership. From the looks of it, our Freshman are who's playing with the most heart and if that's the case, play em!

We have to get someone consistent calling our defensive plays or we'll never get in a rhythm.

I understand he's a true freshman as are our other QB's, but I'm not sold on Stroud yet. I would personally like to see McCord get a fair share of snaps to see how he handles in game situations. Have to give it a shot!

If Akron puts up 28 points vs us, OSU is an 8-4 ball team this year... My guess for the final is 52-13 with Akron getting a couple FG's in there. This is the week we need to right the ship and get the ball rolling, schedule doesn't get any easier from here! Go Bucks!

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

BigGuy10 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:17 am Ohio State has to find some leadership. From the looks of it, our Freshman are who's playing with the most heart and if that's the case, play em!

We have to get someone consistent calling our defensive plays or we'll never get in a rhythm.

I understand he's a true freshman as are our other QB's, but I'm not sold on Stroud yet. I would personally like to see McCord get a fair share of snaps to see how he handles in game situations. Have to give it a shot!

If Akron puts up 28 points vs us, OSU is an 8-4 ball team this year... My guess for the final is 52-13 with Akron getting a couple FG's in there. This is the week we need to right the ship and get the ball rolling, schedule doesn't get any easier from here! Go Bucks!
Totally agree with everything but Stroud. This crap defense is putting pressure on his play at QB. He literally must score on every drive to win games.

Eicheburg- played 50+ snaps against Tulsa at LB. ZERO tackles. Only 3 tackles in 3 games. Yet these idiots keep sending him on the field.

Get the young guys in and put these poor performers on the bench.

And no idea where Miyan Williams went to. Teague is back on the field behind Henderson? GTFO! Teague sucks, he had several lookout blocks and one of which got Stroud ear holed.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Dallas Gant, a starting linebacker for the Buckeyes in the season opener against Minnesota, has entered the transfer portal. Gant saw little action in the last two games. Is this a hint of things to come?

https://saturdaytradition.com/ohio-stat ... r-3-games/

gobucs20
Freshman Team

Post by gobucs20 »

It sounds like a great time to Carrico some reps.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Well a supposed cupcake game is suddenly generating some drama.

CJ Stroud, who has started OSU's first three games, will only be available in dire emergency this Saturday against Akron. Stroud's shoulder injury is the stated reason.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 829442001/

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

What a bizarre game. Eichenbergs backup gets tired of not playing then throws a tantrum before leaving the field. Never seen anything like that before. Probably be the norm from now on with the me first players of today. :(

OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Post by OHHS old timer »

gobucs20 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:47 pm It sounds like a great time to Carrico some reps.
He got in very late but recorded a tackle

I'm not old, I'm mold....still growing!!
2019 NCAA Tournament Pick 'em champ
Omega
SEOPS H

Re: Ohio State 59 Akron 7 September 25, 2021

Post by Omega »

Very strange game indeed.

McCord and Miller's try out at QB showed why Stroud is likely to remain the starter. The backups had their moments, but at best looked no more than servicable.

Buckeye defense put some decent numbers, maybe found some young guys with energy, but proved nothing since the opponent was Akron.

The player drama with Pope and coach drama with Coombs might indicate a split and unhappy locker room

Return to “College Sports”