Southern Ohio standout QB on ABC!

Trivium5
Freshman Team

Southern Ohio standout QB on ABC!

Post by Trivium5 »

ABC is showing a story on Trevor Walls from Waverly. Check it out!

Spenceman
Freshman Team

Re: Southern Ohio standout QB on ABC!

Post by Spenceman »

Will he start this Saturday?

Incognito
Varsity

Post by Incognito »

link?

candystore
Varsity

Post by candystore »

Good luck this saturday trevor

west siders
All State

Post by west siders »

what are they showing this on? College Gameday? 3:30 game? bucks game at 1:00?

Trivium5
Freshman Team

Post by Trivium5 »

Oops, sorry guys. It was the day of the post. It was on ABC6 news around 6:30. Sorry! :122247

fast1
Riding the Bench

Post by fast1 »

Trevor Walls' senior season at Waverly High School had ended.

He'd put up big numbers as the quarterback.

He'd led Waverly to the state playoffs twice.

He was a 4.0 student of impeccable character.

Yet no Division I school would offer him a scholarship.

Then, a month before signing day, family friend and former Waverly assistant coach Tim Daily got in touch with then-New Mexico State coach Hal Mumme, a college friend.

Walls knew nothing about New Mexico State, but Mumme knew quarterbacks. A decade earlier, he coached Tim Couch at Kentucky. Mumme watched tape and was quickly impressed.

"Hal Mumme's first comment to me was people back east must not like quarterbacks anymore," Waverly coach Rusty Wright said. "He was dumbfounded that nobody would offer him a scholarship."

Walls went on an official visit to Las Cruces and felt at home. Now, he could be the Aggies' starting quarterback Saturday when New Mexico State plays Ohio State.

"It's going to be exciting," Walls said. "I've been to a couple games there. I know what the atmosphere is like. I'm just excited for it."

This year has been a struggle for Walls and New Mexico State (3-5), which has lost its past two games by a combined score of 79-10. A redshirt freshman, Walls has thrown for two touchdowns with five interceptions. He has completed only 51.7 percent of his passes.

First-year coach DeWayne Walker has rotated Walls and sophomore Jeff Fleming in hopes of finding a spark. Walls said he doesn't know whether he's starting Saturday.

In truth, Walls is probably playing before he's ready, and he has had to adapt to a different offense under Walker, who took over for the fired Mumme this year.

"We have a system where a mobile quarterback fits our system a little more," Walker said. "He's getting acclimated more and more. Again, he's still a baby. I'm sure, come spring ball and next season, he'll be a much better player."

If there's one thing Walls has shown, it's the ability to improve. He began serving as a ball boy as a fourth-grader at Waverly, a village of 4,400 located 60 miles south of Columbus. Wright hardly viewed Walls as a future star.

"He was a short, fat, dumpy kid," Wright said with a laugh. "You looked at him, and it didn't look like he was going to be very athletic."

Walls played tight end until switching to quarterback as a freshman. He started his last three years, going 10-0 during the regular season as a junior and 9-1 as a senior. He threw 67 touchdown passes with only 23 interceptions, and 14 of those came his sophomore year.

"The amazing thing about this kid is that his senior year he played eight games with a separated left shoulder," Wright said. "He never missed a practice. He's tough as nails."

Wright gushes about Walls' character, which added to his frustration that Division I colleges wouldn't offer a scholarship. Wright believes Walls was ignored largely because Waverly is a Division IV school off the beaten track.

He said Walls' only formal offer came from Division II Findlay. The Wallses are big Buckeyes fans, but the extent of Ohio State's interest was to invite Trevor to its spring game in 2007.

Then New Mexico State entered the picture.

"I didn't know what to think," Walls said. "I hadn't really heard of them before. I thought I'd give it a shot. I came out and I liked it. I like everything about it -- the weather, the people, the players. It's a nice fit."

Walls' mother, Brenda, said her son has felt so at home in New Mexico that he has returned to Waverly only three times since he began college.

Well, Waverly will be headed to Columbus on Saturday. At least 300 relatives and friends plan to be at the game.

"It's going to be fun," said Trevor's father, Rick. "We've been Buckeye fans our whole life, and he gets to play in the 'Shoe."

Well, they won't be Buckeyes fans there.

"We all have T-shirts that say, 'Buckeyes for life, Aggies for a day,' " Wright said. "You're going to see a whole section (of us).

"This is a great moment for Waverly. He means a lot not only to Waverly but southeastern Ohio. There's a lot of pride by the people who know him, just in the kind of kid he is. He is the ultimate role model for young people to follow."

Return to “College Sports”