Ohio State 33 Penn State 24 Saturday October 30, 2021

Omega
SEOPS H

Ohio State 33 Penn State 24 Saturday October 30, 2021

Post by Omega »

Penn State travels to Columbus this Saturday for a top twenty match up with the Ohio State Buckeyes. The game has lost some of its luster when the Lions were upset by Illinois this past weekend. Still Penn State has the talent to test whether or not the recent Buckeye strong performances are real or have been a result of playing the sisters of the poor.

PSU's chances rest on the health of quarteback Sean Clifford. A healthy Clifford gives the Lions a dual threat QB style that has given OSU fits in recent years. On defense, the Lions have the talent to make the Buckeyes actually have to earn their yardage.

The game is set for a 7:30 kick on ABC. OSU is wearing all red alt uniforms and are asking the crowd to "red out" Ohio Stadium.

Ohio State has opened as 15 point favorites. It would be tempting to think the Bucks will win going away, but recent history against the Lions suggests a tightly contested game. Throw in the weirdness of Halloween weekend, we might see a game in doubt until the fourth quarter.
Last edited by Omega on Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: #20 Penn State (5-2, 2-2) @ #5 Ohio State (6-1, 4-0) Saturday October 30, 2021

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

PSU losing defensive tackle PJ Mustipher for the season do to injury was a big blow to the Nitts as well. Clifford will play but won't be 100% by Saturday. He didn't look healthy in the Illinois game. This one still should be a dandy none the less. Thriller, well, maybe not. Can't wait to see the all scarlet uniforms the bucks will be showcasing. They looked cool from some pics I've seen.

OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Re: #20 Penn State (5-2, 2-2) @ #5 Ohio State (6-1, 4-0) Saturday October 30, 2021

Post by OHHS old timer »

Buckeyes win going away....by 21.

Clifford makes the Lions offense go. Very lackluster vs Illini. He will have a target on the uniform. Remove the head....kill the snake as the old saying goes.

I'm not old, I'm mold....still growing!!
2019 NCAA Tournament Pick 'em champ
OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Post by OHHS old timer »

OHHS old timer wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:28 pm Buckeyes win going away....by 21.

Clifford makes the Lions offense go. Very lackluster vs Illini. He will have a target on the uniform. Remove the head....kill the snake as the old saying goes.
Sorry, Trench. PSU doesn't have much of a chance. That being said.....I'll take my crow with ketchup should the upset happen.

I'm not old, I'm mold....still growing!!
2019 NCAA Tournament Pick 'em champ
cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

I agree old timer! I don't think trenchy's lions will be able to hang this year with Clifford being banged up. PSU offense needs to stay on the field and eat up time and shorten the game to keep that other machine offense off the field. PSU defense is good but will be worn out by the second half if their offense has too many three and outs. I just don't think there is an offense good enough in the Big Ten to upset them this year. Good defenses but that won't cut it. Still not impressed with the TTUN offense either. The games I have seen them play they have struggled to score points. I'm thinking somewhere around 38-20 for this game but just in case I like Texas Pete.
Last edited by cbolt on Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

This will be the strongest team the Bucks have played after the Oregon loss. Lots of point from the Bucks facing the lower part of the BIG. The Bucks defense needs to be better than what The Penn State Offensive line can throw at them. A lot of passing time could eat the Bucks up. Will it be the last drive of the game telling the winner?

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

noreply66 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:46 pm This will be the strongest team the Bucks have played after the Oregon loss. Lots of point from the Bucks facing the lower part of the BIG. The Bucks defense needs to be better than what The Penn State Offensive line can throw at them. A lot of passing time could eat the Bucks up. Will it be the last drive of the game telling the winner?
I think you may be on to something. The series record indicates close games more often than not:

https://gopsusports.com/sports/football ... versity/38

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

OHHS old timer wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:29 pm
OHHS old timer wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:28 pm Buckeyes win going away....by 21.

Sorry, Trench. PSU doesn't have much of a chance. That being said.....I'll take my crow with ketchup should the upset happen.
We will see. Beer, peanuts and salty pretzels are ready here. But as I said above. I don't look for a nail biting thriller with banged up lions coming to the shoe. Penn State should still be tougher than anyone the Bucks have encountered thus far. Won't surprise me what happens in this one. On a side note. Those legendary white Penn State away uniforms won't be hard to see in a scarlet/red out. :lol: Will be easy to see a white uniformed target/receiver down field for Clifford in an all red background. :lol: Can't wait till kickoff.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

OSU rolls by 17

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

Pretty good game and much more competitive than I thought it would be. PSU defense played their hearts out slowing down the Buck offense more than anyone so far. Lack of a running game really hurts the PSU offense. If they had that they might still be undefeated.

Omega
SEOPS H

Re: Ohio State 33 Penn State 24 Saturday October 30, 2021

Post by Omega »

Buckeyes won 33-24, but Penn State deserved better for their effort.

Penn State's red zone defense was outstanding as the Lion's defense stopped OSU on downs once and forced 4 field goals.
That is 23 points the Bucks left on the field.

Ohio State's defense was gashed but made stops when it mattered, generating a defensive touchdown.

For Penn State, Clifford was 35 of 52, for 361 yards, with one touchdown and one interception. Clifford also coughed up a fumble on a sack that was returned for a defensive touchdown by Jeron Cage. The Lions added only 33 rushing yards for a total offense of 394 yards.

For Ohio State, Stroud was 22 of 34 for 305 yards with one TD.
TreVeyon Henderson had 25 carries for 152 yards and one TD.
Ohio State had 466 total yards on the night.

Again, full credit goes to Penn State's defense as they made OSU earn every yard and point. As to OSU they got kicked in the teeth but survived. A win is a win. Lots of room for improvement

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: Ohio State 33 Penn State 24 Saturday October 30, 2021

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Nitts played well considering some key injuries. Agree with not running the ball more. Don't know what Franklin's deal is there. Have a nice strong O line to make a few holes here and there. Congrats to the Buckeyes on the win.

Return to “College Sports”