Notre Dame's Brian Kelly To LSU (Marcus Freeman New Head Coach?)

Omega
SEOPS H

Notre Dame's Brian Kelly To LSU (Marcus Freeman New Head Coach?)

Post by Omega »

From Alabama. com:

LSU is expected to hire Notre Dame’s Brian Kelly as its head football coach, according to multiple reports late Monday.

Yahoo’s Pete Thamel, SI.com’s Ross Dellenger and The Advocate are reporting that the 60-year-old Kelly could be officially hired as soon as Tuesday. Kelly is 113-40 in 12 seasons at Notre Dame, including 11-1 in 2021.

Kelly would replace Ed Orgeron, who was fired amid a 6-6 season. Orgeron coached his final game on Saturday, a 27-24 victory over Texas A&M.

https://www.al.com/sports/2021/11/lsu-e ... s-say.html

Did not see that one coming. Fickle to Notre Dame? Urban to Notre Dame?
Last edited by Omega on Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Re: Notre Dame's Brian Kelly To LSU

Post by OHHS old timer »

Omega wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:05 pm From Alabama. com:

LSU is expected to hire Notre Dame’s Brian Kelly as its head football coach, according to multiple reports late Monday.

Yahoo’s Pete Thamel, SI.com’s Ross Dellenger and The Advocate are reporting that the 60-year-old Kelly could be officially hired as soon as Tuesday. Kelly is 113-40 in 12 seasons at Notre Dame, including 11-1 in 2021.

Kelly would replace Ed Orgeron, who was fired amid a 6-6 season. Orgeron coached his final game on Saturday, a 27-24 victory over Texas A&M.

Well...that kinda shocking but he did that to Cincinnati. Would Fickle leave Cincy? Urban pack up in Jax and move? I'm don't think Meyer would.....age...just my thought.

Maybe Campbell from Iowa St....maybe Aranda from Baylor (doubtful...I think he just got there from BYU).

Just a name to throw in the basket....Mike Vrabel. But what do I know. Gonna be a CRAZY couple of weeks, that I'm sure of!!!

I'm not old, I'm mold....still growing!!
2019 NCAA Tournament Pick 'em champ
Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

OHHS old timer wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:39 pm

It would not surprise me if Notre Dame already has their next coach selected. Riley going to USC set of this cascade of change.

Well...that kinda shocking but he did that to Cincinnati. Would Fickle leave Cincy? Urban pack up in Jax and move? I'm don't think Meyer would.....age...just my thought.

Maybe Campbell from Iowa St....maybe Aranda from Baylor (doubtful...I think he just got there from BYU).

Just a name to throw in the basket....Mike Vrabel. But what do I know. Gonna be a CRAZY couple of weeks, that I'm sure of!!!

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Omega wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:06 pm
OHHS old timer wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:39 pm

It would not surprise me if Notre Dame already has their next coach selected. Riley going to USC set of this cascade of change.

Vrable is an interesting name. Midwest ties via OSU and parochial ties through Akron Walsh Jesuit. I think Fickle would be the prime target with Cincinnati being a fertile recruiting ground for the Irish. That and Fick's success at UC speaks for itself.

Another story to watch is Ohio State. Ryan Day is perfectly safe as HC, but the Michigan loss may lead to retirements and firings among the assistant coaches. All but three may be gone in the near future.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

Surprised the heck out of me! Thought that was his dream job but like old timer said I also remember he did the same thing to Cincy. What would make him do it other than money? Only thing I can think of is maybe he figures he can get more talented players since Notre Dame's standards are so high? I also don't see Meyer replacing him. Fickel would have to think hard about that since he comes from a Catholic Family and the money they would throw at him!

OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Post by OHHS old timer »

Some sports writers have added Pat Fitzgerald of Northwestern to the list for ND job.

He is another Midwest guy.

Some of these writers are suggesting one of the names we've mentioned to ND...the other to Oklahoma. As I said yesterday, I don't have the foggiest idea..

I'm not old, I'm mold....still growing!!
2019 NCAA Tournament Pick 'em champ
Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

OHHS old timer wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:32 pm Some sports writers have added Pat Fitzgerald of Northwestern to the list for ND job.

He is another Midwest guy.

Some of these writers are suggesting one of the names we've mentioned to ND...the other to Oklahoma. As I said yesterday, I don't have the foggiest idea..
Honestly the coaching carousel and the ripple effect on recruits and transfers is more intriguing than the looming conference championship games and fight for playoff spots.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

Meyer said yesterday is not interested in coaching college and committed to Jags. So throw his name out of the mix. Don't see him being in the pros much longer so that is subject to change.

Omega
SEOPS H

Re: Notre Dame's Brian Kelly To LSU (Marcus Freeman New Head Coach?)

Post by Omega »

Notre Dame defensive coordinator Marcus Freeman to be elevated to head coach of the Irish

Freeman, who has never been a head coach, is a bold choice to lead the Irish. Yet he gets glowing reviews and his quick promotion may help keep Notre Game's recruiting class intact with the early signing day around the corner.

cbolt
SEOP

Re: Notre Dame's Brian Kelly To LSU (Marcus Freeman New Head Coach?)

Post by cbolt »

Yea I think this hire was catering to the players for sure! I wish him the best but don't see them being at the same level with Kelly gone.

Return to “College Sports”