2022 Ohio State Football Off-Season Thread.

Omega
SEOPS H

Re: 2022 Ohio State Football Off-Season Thread.

Post by Omega »

TOSU Loses Out On Top Defensive Recruiting Targets

From Eleven Warriors:

Tackett Curtis’ commitment to USC comes just two days after Troy Bowles’ commitment to Georgia, knocking two of Ohio State’s top linebacker targets for the 2023 class off the board. (excerpt)

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-sta ... its-to-usc

Ryan Day gets top notch recruits at the offensive skilled positions. Defense not so much. Does this lend credence to Ohio State being a finesse team?

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Omega wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:41 pm TOSU Loses Out On Top Defensive Recruiting Targets

From Eleven Warriors:

Tackett Curtis’ commitment to USC comes just two days after Troy Bowles’ commitment to Georgia, knocking two of Ohio State’s top linebacker targets for the 2023 class off the board. (excerpt)

Ryan Day gets top notch recruits at the offensive skilled positions. Defense not so much. Does this lend credence to Ohio State being a finesse team?

Seems like having guys like Andy Katz and offensive lineman that can run block first for a big N/S type runnin TB we have gotte. Away from.

I understand to a point on the offensive side of the ball as the game has changed so much that being able to score at will and 50pnts a game is the norm anymore but to me to win a national championship YOU MUST be able to run the football FIRST

And it truly baffles me that us being known as LineBacker U seems we have gotten away a little bit from the emphasis of being a dominant team. It’s almost acceptable that the defense gives up 50pnts as long as the offense scores 51.

I would like more then anything this year to see our defensive side of the ball play like their hairs on fire….

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

countywide35 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:38 am
Omega wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:41 pm TOSU Loses Out On Top Defensive Recruiting Targets

From Eleven Warriors:

Seems like having guys like Andy Katz and offensive lineman that can run block first for a big N/S type runnin TB we have gotte. Away from.

I understand to a point on the offensive side of the ball as the game has changed so much that being able to score at will and 50pnts a game is the norm anymore but to me to win a national championship YOU MUST be able to run the football FIRST

And it truly baffles me that us being known as LineBacker U seems we have gotten away a little bit from the emphasis of being a dominant team. It’s almost acceptable that the defense gives up 50pnts as long as the offense scores 51.

I would like more then anything this year to see our defensive side of the ball play like their hairs on fire….
Although his job is safe, this is a make or break year for Coach Day in terms of legacy. I can see anything from an undefeated regular season to possibly four losses. As you said, having to score 50 points a game to win is fine, but can they do that against Notre Dame, Wisconsin, Iowa or Michigan? We just have to let each game unfold.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Ryan Day Speaks at Big Ten Football Media Days

From The Ozone:

The Big Ten conference held its annual Big Ten football media days at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis on Tuesday and Wednesday. Ohio State head coach Ryan Day had his formal press conference as well as an informal, hour-long meeting with the media on Wednesday afternoon.

Day discussed team leadership, opening the season against Notre Dame, and quarterback C.J. Stroud’s growth. Here are the highlights of what was said.

+ This is an exciting season. “We could have probably brought 10 or 15 guys here today.” Ronnie Hickman has had a really good offseason and gives veteran leadership. Jaxon Smith-Njigba is one of the more competitive guys he’s ever been around. C.J. Stroud grew a lot last year into a Heisman Trophy finalist.

+ “I’d describe the team as ‘edgy’ this offseason.”

+ There is a lot of excitement around this season and this team. “We have to play well in our first game and that starts next week.”

+ On Stroud’s growth, Day said he has always had good leadership but that has grown a lot. This offseason he has taken a lot of guys on the defense over to his house and cooked for them and has approached it like a coach. “It’s great to see.”

+On preparing for the non-conference teams, Day said he never knows what he’s going to get with them. They have to focus on themselves, fundamentals, and make in-game adjustments.

+On expectations for year one of the Jim Knowles defense, Day said they have to play winning football which starts with stopping the run. The offseason has been excellent as far as installing schematics. Almost the entire Rose Bowl team is back from last year so the experience is there but the schematics are different. There’s an aggressiveness about them. “We expect a top 10 defense and that’s what we want.”

https://theozone.net/2022/07/two-minute ... edia-days/

Kind of a bold statement on his expectations for his new defensive coordinator, but the rest is standard coach speak. At least the media day event is a signal the regular season is just around the corner.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

good read

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

FOUR-STAR CORNERBACK DIJON JOHNSON DECOMMITS FROM OHIO STATE

From Garrick Hodge of Eleven Warriors:

After four-star cornerback Dijon Johnson visited both Florida and Miami over the weekend despite Ohio State preferring committed prospects to no longer take visits to other schools, it was only a matter of time before the Florida prospect decommitted.

Johnson officially announced his decommitment from Ohio State on Saturday, re-opening a spot for OSU to fill at cornerback and delivering a blow to the Buckeyes' top-ranked 2023 recruiting class. With Johnson no longer in the fold, the Buckeyes now have 19 commits total in the current cycle. (snip)

Ohio State has seen its fair share of top-100 prospects decommitting, including two in the last recruiting cycle. Both Jaheim Singletary and Terrance Brooks were committed to Ohio State in the 2022 class before Singletary flipped to Georgia and Brooks signed with Texas.

After pulling off an upset and landing top-55 prospect Jason Moore on July 10, Ohio State has not had much momentum since then on the defensive side of the ball. The Buckeyes failed to convert on several top targets, including Caleb Downs, Tackett Curtis, Troy Bowles and John Walker.

Obviously, no one on the Ohio State staff is going to be thrilled about the loss of Johnson, considering they viewed him as a multi-year starter at the collegiate level. But cornerback is a position the Buckeyes can withstand a blow at in the 2023 cycle.(snip)

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-sta ... ohio-state

Day and company have elite recruiting results in the offensive skilled positions, elsewhere their recruiting is just good. Yet is "good" good enough to close the talent gap against the Bama's and UGA's of the world?

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Ohio State Suffers Another Decommitment And Flip To Alabama

From Eleven Warriors:

The hits keep on coming for Ohio State.

Four-star 2023 tight end Ty Lockwood decommitted from Ohio State on Tuesday, bringing the Buckeyes down to 18 commits in the current class. His decommitment comes after he received an offer from Alabama and visited Tuscaloosa this past weekend. He committed to the Crimson Tide on Tuesday. (excerpt)

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-sta ... ohio-state

The Saban Recruiting Death Star is in full gear. Are the other schools offering better NIL packages or is something rotten in old Columbus towne?

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Ohio State has opened fall camp in preparation for the season opener against Notre Dame. College football is just a month away.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Ohio State Ranked 2nd In Initial Coaches Poll

RANK TEAM RECORD PTS 1ST VOTES

1 ALABAMA 0–0 1634 54
2 OHIO STATE 0–0 1564 5
3 GEORGIA 0–0 1542 6
4 CLEMSON 0–0 1356
5 N DAME 0–0 1284
6 MICHIGAN 0–0 1232
7 TEXAS A&M 0–0 1219
8 UTAH 0–0 1134
9 OKLAHOMA 0–0 1027
10 BAYLOR 0–0 891
11 OK STATE. 0–0 859
12 OREGON 0–0 734
13 NC STATE 0–0 726
14 SPARTY 0–0 711
15 SO CAL 0–0 602
16 PITT 0–0 450
17 MIAMI 0–0 433
18 TEXAS 0–0 383 1
19 WAKE FRST 0–0 381
20 WISCONSIN 0–0 369
21 KENTUCKY 0–0 353
22 CINCINNATI 0–0 339
23 ARKANSAS 0–0 334
24 MISSISSIPPI 0–0 327
25 HOUSTON 0–0 257

The usual suspects to start.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

4-Star Arvell Reese 6' 04" LB from Glenville commits to Ohio State

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Crystal Ball has Jayden Bonsu a 4-star safety picking Ohio State over Miami Florida.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Eleven Warriors has summarized an interview on the BTN given by OSU defensive coordinator Jim Knowles. It gives a glimpse into Knowles first Buckeye defense in 2022:

Asked what he’s enjoyed most about being at Ohio State so far, Knowles replied: “The resources ... you get whatever you need to win.”

Knowles is embracing the high expectations at Ohio State. “Here, you’re expected to win, and I think as a coach, that drives you. That fuels you.”

Knowles on how he would describe his defense to fans: “I don’t want the fans to know what defense we’re in before the snap, so that would be a good way to describe it. We want to be simple but multiple.”

Knowles said he wants to make sure he’s utilizing all the talent he has at his disposal and not relying too much on scheme. “Everywhere else I've been, you want to make sure the players have enough to win the ballgame. Here, you want to make sure that they just know what to do and they can play fast.”

Eichenberg and Hickman are “the quarterbacks of the defense,” Knowles said. He said Taron Vincent, Zach Harrison and Jack Sawyer are among those providing leadership up front.
(excerpt)

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-sta ... son-on-btn

I guess we will find out early against Notre Dame if the retooled Buckeye defense can compliment the offense enough to propel OSU to a Big 10 championship and playoff berth.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

TOSU Names Football Captains For 2022

Ohio State has selected six captains for the 2022 season.

Fifth-year senior wide receiver Kamryn Babb, third-year quarterback C.J. Stroud, fourth-year tight end Cade Stover, fourth-year linebacker Tommy Eichenberg, fifth-year defensive end Tyler Friday and third-year safety Kourt Williams have been named Ohio State’s captains for the 2022 season.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-sta ... t-williams

I am of the opinion if you have more than one captain for either offense or defense you really have none.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

noreply66 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:30 pm Crystal Ball has Jayden Bonsu a 4-star safety picking Ohio State over Miami Florida.
He has committed.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Omega wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:17 pm TOSU Names Football Captains For 2022

Fifth-year senior wide receiver Kamryn Babb, third-year quarterback C.J. Stroud, fourth-year tight end Cade Stover, fourth-year linebacker Tommy Eichenberg, fifth-year defensive end Tyler Friday and third-year safety Kourt Williams have been named Ohio State’s captains for the 2022 season.

I am of the opinion if you have more than one captain for either offense or defense you really have none.
Yeah, agree. That's too many.

OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Post by OHHS old timer »

TRENCHFOOT wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:17 pm

I agree TRENCHFOOT, in my days of attending FSU games Coach Bowden had 4 team captains at best. He basically trusted his players.

I'm not old, I'm mold....still growing!!
2019 NCAA Tournament Pick 'em champ
Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

OSU RB Evan Pryor To Miss 2022 Season With Knee Injury

The Buckeyes suffered the first significant injury of the preseason summer camp as second year running back Evan Pryor reportedly has been lost for the season with a knee problem.

Pryor was third on the depth chart, but was expected to gather significant playing time due to his speed and pass catching ability.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-sta ... nee-injury

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

OHHS old timer wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:27 pm
TRENCHFOOT wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:17 pm

I agree TRENCHFOOT, in my days of attending FSU games Coach Bowden had 4 team captains at best. He basically trusted his players.
I liked ole Bowden. Good man with a good heart, and amazing coach. He's definitely on my legends list of coaches that's no longer with us. I miss the good ole days, old timer.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Perhaps the best way to close out the 2022 OSU football off season thread is with the following Ohio State preview by the College Football Nerds.

It is a 23 minute YouTube video that I found to be honest in its praise and criticism on the Buckeye chances in 2022:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AURptNHvpdk

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Kenyatta Jackson DE, Kyion Grayes WR, Dallan Hayden RB loses black stripes.

Return to “College Sports”