2022 Ohio State Football Off-Season Thread.

Omega
SEOPS H

Re: 2022 Ohio State Football Off-Season Thread.

Post by Omega »

For those interested, ticket sales announced for OSU's spring scrimmage on April 16th:

https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/spring-ga ... le-friday/

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

In the first seven months of NIL, OSU football players signed 173 deals for $2,678,893. Buckeye athletes in all sports had a total of 619 deals for $2,985,559.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-sta ... s#comments

Good for the athletes. Perhaps not so good for competitive balance in collegiate sports. The rich getting richer?

Texas and Texas A&M athletes are rumoured to each have sponsors lined up who are able to payout $20 million annually in NIL. Where will a blue chip recruit be tempted to go?

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

CorMontae Hamilton no longer on Ohio State football team. The RS-Jr defensive lineman was buried on the depth chart.

His departure leaves the Buckeyes at least 6 players over the scholarship limit of 85.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-sta ... tball-team

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

In the times have changed department, OSU quarterback CJ Stroud recieved free trip to the Super Bowl from NFL player agent David Mulugheta. Apparently legal in this pay for play NIL era in college football.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

OSU Spring Football Practice To Start March 8

The Ohio State football program announced on Thursday it will kick off its fourth spring under head coach Ryan Day with the first of 15 practices on Tuesday, March 8.

The Buckeyes will also practice on Thursday, March 10, before taking a week off for spring break, then will hold three practices per week over the next four weeks leading up to the annual spring game in Ohio Stadium on Saturday, April 16.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Ohio State 5 Star Offensive Lineman Harry Miller Announces Medical Retirement From Football

Miller will stay a part of football program in a support role as he pursues his degree in mechanical engineering.

I am a fan of Miller. He is kind of a throwback to the true student athlete of old. He is equally adept at quoting the classical literature of Fyodor Dostoyevsky as he was bulldozing defensive linemen. A 4.0 student and a young man of faith, he is a roll model for all.

Fortunately under AD Gene Smith and Coach Day, Ohio State does devote time and resources towards the total well being of its athletes. Miller received support although he could not contribute on the playing field last season. College football needs more Harry Millers.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-sta ... m-football

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

THE Foundation, a 501(c) 3 non profit has been established by Cardale Jones and Brian Schottenstein as a source to raise money to pay OSU athletes for use of their name, image and likeness while at the same time raising money for charity. Today Urban Meyer was named to the Board of Directors.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/forum/oh ... -nonprofit

While OSU football fans should be encouraged that State is going all in to use NIL as a recruiting tool, my old fart mind can conjure up many unintended consequences.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

With Buckeye spring practice nearing the halfway mark, Sports Illustrated has a synopsis of OSU coach interviews:

https://www.si.com/college/ohiostate/fo ... e-progress

The TLDR version is offense great. Defense not so much, with struggles in learning the new system from new coaches.

There is a rumored report behind an unidentified pay wall site that the defensive transition to Jim Knowles' system borders on being an unmitigated disaster.

As with any thing else, the truth likely lies somewhere in the middle. Spring practice is for learning and evaluating. Installing a new scheme is going to take time.

Honestly, the defense has no where to go but up in 2022. If any kind of improvement comes about, the Buckeyes will be in the conversation for a Big 10 championship and CFP berth.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Other news out of spring practice, CJ Stroud is testing a helmet that gives real time data on force of blows and how they tie into head injuries.

https://www.si.com/college/ohiostate/fo ... dell-axiom

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

Omega wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:26 am
baseball16 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:50 am
Geronimo wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:29 am When the Buckeyes was picking talent they had a blind eye when it came to Joe Burrow !!! ;)
Hindsight is 20/20
Burrow was a 2-3 star that was behind 4-5 stars. Plus he played behind one of the most prolific College Qb's ever. JT was a great College QB that ran Urban's offense perfectly. He continues to hold many records. Yes, he didn't pan out in the NFL but neither did Tebow. Tebow was without a doubt one of the top winning Qb's ever! I am sure he had some guys under him that felt they threw the ball better than him! JS.
Bb16, [mention]Geronimo[/mention] ,

The Burrow at OSU debate is best summed up as opportunity lost for the Buckeyes due to Urban Meyer's stubborn but often misplaced loyalty to players. Burrow was not and is not the best passer or best runner. What makes Burrow a success is the intangible will to win bolstered by daring and innate knowledge of the game.
Hard to argue against haskins. The year Burrow left haskins had one of the best seasons ever for a QB. 50 tds, 70% completion rate and almost 5000yds. If Joe had stayed probably no Fields to the buckeyes

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

OHIO STATE DEFENSIVE BACK LEJOND CAVAZOS ENTERS TRANSFER PORTAL

From Eleven Warriors:

The redshirt sophomore defensive back entered the transfer portal on Monday, an Ohio State spokesperson confirmed.

Cavazos was not in attendance for Ohio State’s student appreciation day on Saturday, and now, he’s opted to leave the team altogether to continue his college football career elsewhere in search of increased playing time.

A four-star recruit in the class of 2020, Cavazos appeared in 11 games last season as a backup cornerback but appeared unlikely to be any higher than fifth on the cornerback depth chart in 2022 with Denzel Burke and Cameron Brown returning as starters and the emergence of second-year cornerbacks Jordan Hancock and Jakailin Johnson.(excerpt)

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-sta ... fer-portal

The first of several Buckeye players expected to enter the transfer portal. You hate to see it but with the Buckeyes currently over the scholarship limit and with new coaches evaluating players, turnover of players is unavoidable.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

And speaking of the transfer portal

OHIO STATE SAFETY BRYSON SHAW ENTERS TRANSFER PORTAL

From Eleven Warriors:

The redshirt junior safety entered the transfer portal on Monday, an Ohio State spokesperson confirmed.

Shaw started 12 games for the Buckeyes as their top free safety in 2021. He recorded 59 total tackles and had an interception against Michigan.

He was not expected to remain in a starting role in 2022, however, with Josh Proctor returning from a leg injury and Ronnie Hickman, Kourt Williams and Tanner McCalister also in line to play major roles on the back end of Ohio State’s defense.

That said, Shaw’s departure is a hit to Ohio State’s depth and experience in the secondary, as he played the third-most snaps (666) of any Buckeye defender last season. As recently as Saturday, Shaw was taking first-team reps in practice at the bandit position with Proctor and Williams only practicing in a limited capacity.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-sta ... fer-portal

I liked Shaw. Kind of a throw back to the old style of defensive back. Tough kid who plays hard. Yet honestly he does not have the athleticism needed if OSU is to compete for a Big 10 or National Championship. Shaw possibly may have been All American material playing for Woody or even Tressel. Just shows how much the game has changed in speed.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

I liked Shaw, thought he always played hard. But he did sometimes seem lost, out of position and a bit slow. He will hurt for depth at the position. He should be able to fine a school more to his playing style and finish with a nice career wherever said school may be. Good luck to him!

Bob Bolshavic
Freshman Team

Post by Bob Bolshavic »

Shaw had a faster 40 time than all the other guys listed (4.4) so he wasn't slow by any means. I hate seeing all these guys transfer around like this. I wish it were the Woody and Tressel days again when you could count on players being around a little while unless they were good enough to leave for the pros after their third year from high school. Sigh

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

Bob Bolshavic wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:29 am Shaw had a faster 40 time than all the other guys listed (4.4) so he wasn't slow by any means. I hate seeing all these guys transfer around like this. I wish it were the Woody and Tressel days again when you could count on players being around a little while unless they were good enough to leave for the pros after their third year from high school. Sigh
Going to disagree. Shaw was definitely a bit slow at times, I found it surprising because he does have some speed to him, good closing speed. But he got burnt quite a bit. He was typically out of position, that could have contributed to that, my guess is it did. He would constantly take bad angles and then he’s beat. Wasn’t fast enough to recover. 40 time means nothing btw, silly to bring that up. Better get used to kids coming and going, it’s only going to get worse.

Bob Bolshavic
Freshman Team

Post by Bob Bolshavic »

PTrojan59 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:03 am
Bob Bolshavic wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:29 am Shaw had a faster 40 time than all the other guys listed (4.4) so he wasn't slow by any means. I hate seeing all these guys transfer around like this. I wish it were the Woody and Tressel days again when you could count on players being around a little while unless they were good enough to leave for the pros after their third year from high school. Sigh
Going to disagree. Shaw was definitely a bit slow at times, I found it surprising because he does have some speed to him, good closing speed. But he got burnt quite a bit. He was typically out of position, that could have contributed to that, my guess is it did. He would constantly take bad angles and then he’s beat. Wasn’t fast enough to recover. 40 time means nothing btw, silly to bring that up. Better get used to kids coming and going, it’s only going to get worse.
Why would it be silly? Just pointing out he wasn't as slow as some them guys he was being compared to. I don't think anybody has looked that fast back there for awhile now. Multiple defenders getting burnt,taking bad angles and not having the closing speed to catch up. Ronnie Hickman was guilty of a lot of that. Ohio State wouldn't have recruited Shaw if they didn't think he was talented enough. They obviously liked what they saw in practice or he wouldn't have seen the field. I don't know why he decided to transfer frankly, all the stuff I was reading was he was going to see a lot of playing time this year, maybe not as a starter. Also has experience under his belt and will learn from his mistakes. Maybe he just didn't like the new system. Who knows? I guess we'll find if he was good enough at his next stop wherever that may be.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

Bob Bolshavic wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:06 pm [quote=PTrojan59 post_id=<a href="tel:1995950">1995950</a> time=<a href="tel:1649149398">1649149398</a> user_id=1013]
[quote="Bob Bolshavic" post_id=<a href="tel:1995949">1995949</a> time=<a href="tel:1649143757">1649143757</a> user_id=3685]
Shaw had a faster 40 time than all the other guys listed (4.4) so he wasn't slow by any means. I hate seeing all these guys transfer around like this. I wish it were the Woody and Tressel days again when you could count on players being around a little while unless they were good enough to leave for the pros after their third year from high school. Sigh
[/quote]
Why would it be silly? Just pointing out he wasn't as slow as some them guys he was being compared to. I don't think anybody has looked that fast back there for awhile now. Multiple defenders getting burnt,taking bad angles and not having the closing speed to catch up. Ronnie Hickman was guilty of a lot of that. Ohio State wouldn't have recruited Shaw if they didn't think he was talented enough. They obviously liked what they saw in practice or he wouldn't have seen the field. I don't know why he decided to transfer frankly, all the stuff I was reading was he was going to see a lot of playing time this year, maybe not as a starter. Also has experience under his belt and will learn from his mistakes. Maybe he just didn't like the new system. Who knows? I guess we'll find if he was good enough at his next stop wherever that may be.
[/quote]

No I don’t disagree with you, I think he was very talented. Kid got thrown in last year when he wasn’t expected to contribute like he was asked. That job was Proctors and then he’s down and Shaw had to step up. I think he showed flashes, but at the same time he was out of position a lot. Honestly you’re correct about Hickman, maybe that was on Coombs? Shaw should transfer somewhere a bit smaller that fits his style of play and have a nice career.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Ohio State notes one day out from the spring game:

1.) Big recruiting weekend for Ohio State football

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... NewsSearch

2.) While the first team offense is set in stone, spring practice seems to be focusing on establishing offensive line depth and run blocking changes under new O-line coach, Justin Frye.

3.) Defensive is where championships are won or lost and all eyes will be on new defensive coordinator Jim Knowles. Can he teach fundamentals and install new schemes to improve the Buckeye defense from bad to at least average?

Also the scrimmage game will have at least limited live tackling.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

OSU's spring practice has concluded with the Spring Game. The offense defeated the defense 34-26 under a modified scoring system.

Positives on offense:

Competent play by back up quarterbacks Kyle McCord (so) and Devin Brown (fr).

Great potential shown by backup running back Evan Pryor( rs fr)

Positives on defense:

Jack Sawyer displayed he will be tough to block.

The defense showed a more aggressive style of play and on occasion the db's actually turned and looked back for the ball on occasion.

The only real negative was an injury to Mitch Melton who had to leave the game.

Overall, it was a controlled scrimmage. Offense good, defense still a unknown quantity under new DC Jim Knowles. I am really looking forward to the coming season against a tough schedule. The Buckeyes have the potential to regain the Big 10 championship and qualify for the playoffs. Whether or not the defense improves will be the key.

9.5 INCHES
All Conference

Post by 9.5 INCHES »

Hilarious! No one interested on the columbus spring game...... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “College Sports”