Additional Big 10 Conference Expansion 🤔?

Omega
SEOPS H

Additional Big 10 Conference Expansion 🤔?

Post by Omega »

Can you say Big 10? Big 11? Big 14? Big 16? Big 18?

I knew you could!

There are news reports that Oregon and Washington are strong candidates to join the Big 10 Conference.

The moves come on top of Southern Cal and UCLA leaving the Pac 12 for the Big 10 starting in 2024.

It is reported the move is contingent upon the Big10 completing its search for a new commissioner and the Ducks and Huskies willingness to accept less than a full share of media revenue for a period of time.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... r-AA181ase

https://thespun.com/big-ten/football-wo ... ansion-new

If this would come about, I guess the remnants of the Pac 12 would be absorbed by the Big 12 and/or ACC resulting in four super conferences.

Thoughts?

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Re: Additional Big 10 Conference Expansion 🤔?

Post by OHHS old timer »

I think alot of folks knew something like this was going to happen.

BIG12 will gladly take up alot of the remaining PAC-12 is my guess. Have heard they are also looking at Boise St and maybe....BYU

I don't have a clue on ACC....

I'm not old, I'm mold....still growing!!
2019 NCAA Tournament Pick 'em champ
Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

OHHS old timer wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:55 pm I think alot of folks knew something like this was going to happen.

BIG12 will gladly take up alot of the remaining PAC-12 is my guess. Have heard they are also looking at Boise St and maybe....BYU

You are correct Old Timer. We are heading to four super conferences, and beyond that, I would expect some of those schools in the Super Four to separate further in a new division for "professional" college football.

I would hate to see that, but recognizing players as employees and negotiating a labor contract that spells out the rights and responsibility of school and player is the only way to get NIL and transfers under control.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

OHHS old timer wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:55 pm I think alot of folks knew something like this was going to happen.

BYU is already going to the Big 12.

The ACC may also be in some jeopardy as FSU & Clemson have both expressed their discontent with the equal revenue sharing model. Supposedly FSU brings in about 15% of the pie and gets 7%. Ultimately, those schools know it’s going to be hard to stay relevant with $36mil/year when the B1G & SEC are pulling $70-80mil+. Over the long haul, even a buyout of $100mil would be better than than falling so far behind in 5 years that they’re no longer relevant at all.

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

Big XII has already added Cincinnati, UCF, Houston and BYU to begin play this fall. There has been a lot of talk about Arizona, Arizona St, Colorado and Utah possibly joining the conference. These schools joining could depend on what happens with Oregon and Washington. I know it's all about football and TV viewership but Big XII basketball just gets even stronger with these additions.

Will Clemson and Florida St be the next two schools to join the SEC? Current ACC TV deal runs through 2036 and the cost of leaving hits the pocketbook pretty hard.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Raiderball wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:02 pm Big XII has already added Cincinnati, UCF, Houston and BYU to begin play this fall. There has been a lot of talk about Arizona, Arizona St, Colorado and Utah possibly joining the conference. These schools joining could depend on what happens with Oregon and Washington. I know it's all about football and TV viewership but Big XII basketball just gets even stronger with these additions.

Will Clemson and Florida St be the next two schools to join the SEC? Current ACC TV deal runs through 2036 and the cost of leaving hits the pocketbook pretty hard.
I live about 30 miles from Clemson and most of their off season talk centers around the Tigers joining the SEC. As you point out, the ACC has a $120 million grant of rights penalty for leaving. The conversation now for Clemson is where to get the exit fee.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Welcome to the B1G Ducks and Huskies!

Miles Wood
Waterboy

Post by Miles Wood »

When is the greed going to end? Nothing says rivalry like Washington vs Rutgers.Wait til non revenue softball or baseball teams have to make coast to coast trips just for conference games.

"The Autumn Wind Is A Pirate"

Return to “College Sports”