Sullinger- Stay or go?

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Sullinger- Stay or go?

Post by Bleeding Red »

Lots of talk of whether or not Sully stays at OSU for one more year or leaves after the finish of this season.

I think if OSU wins the tournament, he is gone. I think if they lose, he will stay.

There are quite a few very good big men coming out of college this year. He is still rated high in the draft, but I am sure it is not where he thought it would be coming into this season.

Thoughts?

VegasEagle
Varsity

Re: Sullinger- Stay or go?

Post by VegasEagle »

If hes smart he will stay all four years.....He is not ready for the pros still too slow and needs go develop a outside shot......

runhallerun
Freshman Team

Post by runhallerun »

Stay!

He's not close to ready! Like his game! But don't think he will ever have the skill set to be a star in the NBA, maybe a solid role player. If I am an NBA GM, I would be looking at Thomas. That kid has some work to do but he has a great NBA future. IF he continues to develop his game.

Bottom line if both Thomas and Sullinger come out next week. I say Thomas goes ahead of Sullinger. I might be wrong, but I doubt it!

runhallerun
Freshman Team

Post by runhallerun »

Sully's skill set not lacking! I should have said athletic ability!

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

He needs to stay. his feet are to slow, and he will get eaten up in the NBA. One more year will make all the difference.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

No way he stays. He is a projected lottery pick in 99% of mock drafts. Staying another year or two is not going to make him a better athlete (which is his only downside as a player).

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

I think he thinks he is more than ready and he is goine.
I.M.O. he is far from ready.

VegasEagle
Varsity

Post by VegasEagle »

peake wrote:No way he stays. He is a projected lottery pick in 99% of mock drafts. Staying another year or two is not going to make him a better athlete (which is his only downside as a player).
Not doubting you but that just goes to show how weak college basketball is... If a kid like Sully is a lottery pick then my thoughts of NBA basketball just went into the crapper.... Sully reminds me of Glen Big Baby Davis a role player at best...

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

I think if Sully goes, he is going to be an Elton Brand type role player. He will average 10-14 pts a game and under 10 rebounds a game. He will be no all star until they get him in better shape and playing better defense. He will be respectable, but not an immediate star in the NBA. Anthony Davis has shown the gap in talent as far as the best big man in college this year.

I agree with the comments about Thomas. He is the scoring machine but his defense is mediocre. I think he is more ready right now for the NBA than Sully is.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

I agree w Bleeding Red, but I doubt him staying another year or two will make him any thing better then an Elton Brand type of player over his career. Which imo there is nothing wrong with. Brand btw averages 18ppg and 9 reb over his career. Not too bad.

VegasEagle
Varsity

Post by VegasEagle »

Bleeding Red wrote:I think if Sully goes, he is going to be an Elton Brand type role player. He will average 10-14 pts a game and under 10 rebounds a game. He will be no all star until they get him in better shape and playing better defense. He will be respectable, but not an immediate star in the NBA. Anthony Davis has shown the gap in talent as far as the best big man in college this year.

I agree with the comments about Thomas. He is the scoring machine but his defense is mediocre. I think he is more ready right now for the NBA than Sully is.
For his sake I hope you guys are right I just dont see it... I see the Power Fwds of the NBA eating Sully alive he just looks lazy out there and he is cry baby and at some parts of the season I worried about his toughness..... Call me crazy but when I think of a PF I think of explosiveness and to me there is nothing explosive about this kid...

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

VegasEagle wrote:
Bleeding Red wrote:I think if Sully goes, he is going to be an Elton Brand type role player. He will average 10-14 pts a game and under 10 rebounds a game. He will be no all star until they get him in better shape and playing better defense. He will be respectable, but not an immediate star in the NBA. Anthony Davis has shown the gap in talent as far as the best big man in college this year.

For his sake I hope you guys are right I just dont see it... I see the Power Fwds of the NBA eating Sully alive he just looks lazy out there and he is cry baby and at some parts of the season I worried about his toughness..... Call me crazy but when I think of a PF I think of explosiveness and to me there is nothing explosive about this kid...

I agree 100%. He looks good against post players that are not going to ever play in the NBA. Sullinger does look lazy, but I think alot of that is on defense and not getting in foul trouble. He can certainly improve on his defense and beating the guy to the spot to take a charge....but he seems too slow to do that. I am too getting sick of him staying down on the other end of the floor crying over a call instead of getting his butt back on defense. He is not explosive and takes way too long when he gets the ball in the posts.

The kid is definitely a game changer in college, but he wont look so good against NBA players.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

I heard a quick snippet of him saying "watch out for Williams next year." Because he is inheriting the center position left by Sullinger already being gone? His Freudian slip is showing.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Needs some more work

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

dazed&confused wrote:I heard a quick snippet of him saying "watch out for Williams next year." Because he is inheriting the center position left by Sullinger already being gone? His Freudian slip is showing.
Or maybe Sully is planning on moving to the PF spot with Williams coming in at the 5 like they should have done this season? Who knows. I would be surprised if he stays another year though.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

TribeManiac10 wrote:
dazed&confused wrote:I heard a quick snippet of him saying "watch out for Williams next year." Because he is inheriting the center position left by Sullinger already being gone? His Freudian slip is showing.
Or maybe Sully is planning on moving to the PF spot with Williams coming in at the 5 like they should have done this season? Who knows. I would be surprised if he stays another year though.

I have to agree with tribe in that maybe he is going to stay another year and work on playing the PF position. He needs to. There is no way that he will be able to back down centers in the NBA like he is doing now in college. He needs to work on his dribbling and his outside shot before he can even think about the NBA. I have to agree with in that if he is a lottery pick than the NBA is hurting.

Williams will be a force and IMO should have gotten more PT this time. The time he got in against cuse really saved the Bucks butt. He was hitting the boards and was aggressive enough on offense to cause two fouls

run-n-gun
Varsity

Post by run-n-gun »

I think he stays, because he has a different type of commitment than most players. He grew up in Columbus and dreamed of playing for the Buckeyes. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he stays, but if he goes, then I will be surprised.

clbbig12
Freshman Team

Post by clbbig12 »

If I were advising sullinger two words are all that need to be said. Greg Oden.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Sullinger's defense last night was terrible. Even without foul trouble people were blowing right by him to the rim. No way he will be an immediate impact in the NBA if he goes in the draft. Just way too slow.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

He's not getting taller or more athletic.
The only reason for him to stay is love of the school and fan base...
...and the way they treat him, I can't blame him for leaving!

Return to “College Sports”