WEEK 6 Ohio State vs Nebraska

GoBuckeyes2786
Varsity

WEEK 6 Ohio State vs Nebraska

Post by GoBuckeyes2786 »

What's everyone's thoughts for this game?

Should be a dandy! Night game at the shoe, it's gonna be an electric atmosphere! Best urban has seen and I'm looking forward to being there for this one myself!

Both teams coming off big solid wins. OSU big win against a great D on the road. The cornhuskers rallied back from down 17 with 20 unanswered to beat Wisconsin. Big test for the buckeye D to contain Martinez and burkehead running the ball. Also Nebraska D played really well the second half against montee ball. Can Braxton and Hyde run the ball well and open up for the passing game? Bucks needs to get out on em early and don't let of the gas!

My prediction: OSU 31 Nebraska 20

GoBuckeyes2786
Varsity

Re: WEEK 6 Ohio State vs Nebraska

Post by GoBuckeyes2786 »

Also, Dubs or Bleeding Red or anyone for that matter, when is the best time to arrive in Columbus to the stadium area for a 8pm night game? I always get to the games a few hours early to enjoy the pre game festivities and shops outside but I didn't know how different it would be for a night game and a big game at the that. Ive always caught the noon and 3:30 kickoffs. I wanna be sure I get there before it gets too crazy, get parking close (usually Neal ave parking garage) and enjoy all that's going on. Thanks gentlemen!

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

I've never caught a night game either.
Keep in mind that I show up no later than 8 am for a noon kick,
So I'd advise on 3:30-4:00.

Get up to the shops, take in the tailgates, and if you need to blow time, head to Skull Session, it'll start at 6.
So get into St Johns between 5 and 5:30.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I WATCHED THE HUSKER/BADGER GAME AFTER THE BUCKEYE GAME. THAT WAS A VERY PHYSICAL GAME. I THINK IT WILL BE A STIFFER TEST THAN SPARTY.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

If the Buckeyes play like they did against MSU, they will not win this game.......

GoBuckeyes2786
Varsity

Post by GoBuckeyes2786 »

seofan_via_dublin wrote:I've never caught a night game either.
Keep in mind that I show up no later than 8 am for a noon kick,
So I'd advise on 3:30-4:00.

Get up to the shops, take in the tailgates, and if you need to blow time, head to Skull Session, it'll start at 6.
So get into St Johns between 5 and 5:30.

Thanks dubs! Im usually between 8-9 for noon kickoffs as well. We plan on getting there around 2 that afternoon so should be good. I have a friend and his girlfriend going with us for their first ever game so wanted to have plenty of time to show them all the pre game and around campus, see the team walk through, eat and all that good stuff.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

braxton miller is going to have to take better care of the ball. he's hold's it too loosely from his body, and when running towards the sidelines , he won't transfer the ball to the inside arm.it will nail us in a bad situation if he does not correct this simple thing.

GoBuckeyes2786
Varsity

Post by GoBuckeyes2786 »

Agreed YTB. Had they not had those 3 turnovers that game would have been more lopsided of a victory for osu. Have to imagine they woulda atleast got FG's on those possessions they were moving so well. But aside from that fault, it's hard to complain too much about Braxton, he's carrying the team right now. Says alot about the team in my opinion to go on the road against a great defense, turn the ball over 3 times to MSU 0 and still get the W. That doesn't happen often. The defense held well also and didnt allow any points off of those turnovers

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

GoBuckeyes2786 wrote:Also, Dubs or Bleeding Red or anyone for that matter, when is the best time to arrive in Columbus to the stadium area for a 8pm night game? I always get to the games a few hours early to enjoy the pre game festivities and shops outside but I didn't know how different it would be for a night game and a big game at the that. Ive always caught the noon and 3:30 kickoffs. I wanna be sure I get there before it gets too crazy, get parking close (usually Neal ave parking garage) and enjoy all that's going on. Thanks gentlemen!
Dont know if you have ever been to Skull Session or not, but.......

If it was me, I would get there early enough to go to Skull Session at St Johns arena. It will start at 5:40pm but if you decide to go, I would get to St Johns entrances by 4:30 to get a good seat. Trust me, St Johns will be rocking as we take on Nebraska at home. The place should be electric even the hour before Skull Session starts.

If you like the band and want to see all of the players walk through and listen to a senior and Coach Meyer get up and talk, go to it. And its free. I normally dont go to Skull Session for the rinky dink games (Youngstown St, Akron, etc) but it gets a little crazy for B1G opponents, especially good ones. We normally leave shortly after the players walk out and head to the Shoe. If you go to Skull Session, dont stay too long or you will be getting late getting in the Shoe for the game since they shut everything down immediately after Skull session to get the band into the Shoe.

A few other things:

1.) I used to shop alot at Conrads before the game. Now I go to the Barnes and Noble by the stadium which is off Tuttle Park Plaza. Its kinda tricky to find, but it is near the southeast side of the stadium one block over toward High St.....but a 3-4 minute walk from the Shoe. Much cheaper and much better quality clothing and memorabilia.

2.) If you like to drink, there is always Hineygate. Not a good idea to plan both it and the Skull Session both. Once I get to Hineygate I dont want to leave till its gametime ;-)

But you should plan on getting on Lane Ave before 3 ish to get parked and waltz around a little if you plan on going to Skull session.

I know of a great place close to St Johns and the Shoe where you can park for $20 and have your car watched if you are interested. PM me if you want details.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Very happy to see the Buckeyes get out of East Lansing with a win......OSU beat a very good defensive team on the road, and now come home vs. a very good offensive squad in the Cornhuskers. Nebraska has been defensively challenged this year, and this may bode well for the Buckeye offense. If OSU can hold Big Red to 21 points or under, and I think they can, they should be able to get the win.

I am quite certain that the Buckeyes remember losing a 27-6 lead in Lincoln last year, which should give them a little extra motivation.
Last edited by trojandave on Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

I for one was surprised the Bucks pulled out a win at Sparty. OSU showed some character I really did not think they had.
That said, Nebraska will be tougher to beat as they have more offensive weapons. Given the game is a night kickoff at the Shoe, I can see OSU squeaking out a hard fought win by a field goal. Let's face it, the BIG does not have any top 15 caliber squads, but the competition within the conference is more equal than it has been in years. With such balance, the Bucks probably will be in a dog fight in each of their remaining games. 2012 is the stepping stone to return OSU to football prominence.

GoBuckeyes2786
Varsity

Post by GoBuckeyes2786 »

Bleeding Red wrote:
GoBuckeyes2786 wrote:Also, Dubs or Bleeding Red or anyone for that matter, when is the best time to arrive in Columbus to the stadium area for a 8pm night game? I always get to the games a few hours early to enjoy the pre game festivities and shops outside but I didn't know how different it would be for a night game and a big game at the that. Ive always caught the noon and 3:30 kickoffs. I wanna be sure I get there before it gets too crazy, get parking close (usually Neal ave parking garage) and enjoy all that's going on. Thanks gentlemen!
Dont know if you have ever been to Skull Session or not, but.......

If it was me, I would get there early enough to go to Skull Session at St Johns arena. It will start at 5:40pm but if you decide to go, I would get to St Johns entrances by 4:30 to get a good seat. Trust me, St Johns will be rocking as we take on Nebraska at home. The place should be electric even the hour before Skull Session starts.

If you like the band and want to see all of the players walk through and listen to a senior and Coach Meyer get up and talk, go to it. And its free. I normally dont go to Skull Session for the rinky dink games (Youngstown St, Akron, etc) but it gets a little crazy for B1G opponents, especially good ones. We normally leave shortly after the players walk out and head to the Shoe. If you go to Skull Session, dont stay too long or you will be getting late getting in the Shoe for the game since they shut everything down immediately after Skull session to get the band into the Shoe.

A few other things:

1.) I used to shop alot at Conrads before the game. Now I go to the Barnes and Noble by the stadium which is off Tuttle Park Plaza. Its kinda tricky to find, but it is near the southeast side of the stadium one block over toward High St.....but a 3-4 minute walk from the Shoe. Much cheaper and much better quality clothing and memorabilia.

2.) If you like to drink, there is always Hineygate. Not a good idea to plan both it and the Skull Session both. Once I get to Hineygate I dont want to leave till its gametime ;-)

But you should plan on getting on Lane Ave before 3 ish to get parked and waltz around a little if you plan on going to Skull session.

I know of a great place close to St Johns and the Shoe where you can park for $20 and have your car watched if you are interested. PM me if you want details.

Thanks Red for all the info! I've been to skull session a few times but it's been a handful of years back. I considered going but just depends, it's always so crowded and as u stated especially for a big game!

I'm glad u mentioned the Barnes and noble, I had forgot about it. They do have some nice stuff. I myself am not a huge fan of Conrad's, no Nike and always jammed pack trying to squeeze through lol...but definitely might have to check out the drinking place. I know when we were up there for the cal game they had the outdoor things setup by Conrad's with all the food and beer and live music. Looked like a good time.

As far as parking I always just drive straight up 23 into downtown, hit Neil ave and go up to the parking garage there an park. It's $15 and u can see that stadium from the garage. Not even a 5min walk.

My main concern was getting up there in plenty of time to park and not have to fight traffics and crowds. I should be there by 2pm, leaving Chesapeake around 11am so I think time should be good. And allows plenty of time to get Juiced for the game lol

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

The outdoor beer and booze just west of Conrads is Hineygate.

I wouldnt park at the garage off Neil Ave for a nightgame if I were you. I parked there for 2 night games (Texas and USC) and both were bad choices. They hold all cars from exiting that parking garage until they let everyone out of the parking lots. After the USC game we were not allowed to leave that garage and didnt get out of there until 2:30am. Game was over at 11:30pm and we walked right out to the garage. Didnt get home until 5am. To say it really sucked doesnt even put it into perspective (especially after USC drove down the field with 3 minutes left and scored the winning TD).

You might want to rethink your parking decision!

GoBuckeyes2786
Varsity

Post by GoBuckeyes2786 »

Gotcha. The hineygate place looks pretty cool. I'm most definitely be hitting that up.

I never thought about it being so difficult to exit the garage. The cal game this year they didn't have all the normal parking lots open for parking up Neil avenue like usual, actually I didn't seen any parking on Neil ave aside from the garage. Usually signs everywhere up through there for parking but not that game. Maybe they changed some things around, idk. But I'll try to find out this week.

If you can, message me the lot you were talking about and how exactly to get there from the best direction. I've never parked on the other side of the stadium so not real familiar with it. I always travel 23 to nationwide blvd to Neil ave to avoid the interstate traffic and construction

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

They no longer do the Hive entrance to Hell's Bells at the 45 minute pregame mark.
You can stay till Skull Session ends, and easily get to your seats 30 minutes prior to kickoff, if you walk straight from St Johns to the Shoe.

Since your bringing a first timer, and as a rule, make sure your in your seats by 7:30.
Ramp entrance will hit at 7:40.

Technically Hineygate no longer exists, though they do have an outdoor party with beer behind The Varsity Club.
Some ppl still call it Hineygate, it's cool. There is another at The Riverwatch Tower.

If you want the best BBQ in Columbus, walk up Lane Ave towards High St.
The Ray Rays Rib Shack food truck is there. It's great.

With all the construction going on, getting out at night is going to take awhile.
If (and when) we win, the party at Riverwatch will continue on Lane, you might consider hanging out there for about an hour or so post game, and let traffic settle.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Another parking option to keep in mind, is The State Fairgrounds.
They shuttle you to within 3 blocks of the stadium, and pick you up after the game.
You can get right back on 71 and head south, avoiding all 315 and 23 post game traffic.

If you park in the Ackerman lots, they'll run a shuttle from the little Buckeye shop near Ackerman and Olentangy.

West Campus parking will shuttle you to the lot across the river from the shoe.

If you have a handicap pass. You can park in the lot right behind St Johns.
My wife has one, its a huge perk!

GoBuckeyes2786
Varsity

Post by GoBuckeyes2786 »

Awesome info dubs! I usually tend to be in my seats a hour to 45min before kickoff and pre game and there is no way in hell I'd let anyone miss the band pre game!!

The ray rays rib truck sound like thing. I can see myself hammering that the walking back down lane ave and have some beer at the outdoor joint.

After the cal game we hung around outside the stadium for 30-45min to let the crowd die and watch the players come. When we got to the garage to leave, u would have never known a game had went on that day, garage was empty, Neil ave was calm and quit and I was out of Columbus in 15-20min. I'm sure it will be much different for this game. If traffic is bad I'll walk to the nearest beer stand and say hell with it and enjoy the win! Lol

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

you need to know about bucks football and columbus, dubs is a wealth of knowledge, and a great guy to boot.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports ... 12aaa.html
FIRST AND 10

The game will be the first time Ohio State and Nebraska will meet as ranked teams.
Both teams are coming off comeback wins over last year's Big Ten championship game teams.
Nebraska came back from 21 points down in the second half to defeat Ohio State, 34-27, last year in Lincoln, Neb.
Carlos Hyde had two touchdowns, including a career-long 63-yarder, and 104 yards rushing last year against Nebraska.
Ohio State is 4-0 at Ohio Stadium this year.
Ohio State defeated Nebraska, 34-7, to open the 1956 season before an Ohio Stadium record crowd of 82,153.
Ohio State is playing its 100th season in the Big Ten Conference, having joined the league in 1912 and playing its first season of Big Ten football in 1913.
Nebraska is in its second season of Big Ten play.
Nebraska is the first ranked opponent in Ohio Stadium since No. 21 Penn State was here on Nov. 19 of last year.
Both Ohio State and Nebraska are playing their 123rd season of intercollegiate football.

GAME ON
Unbeaten and 12th ranked Ohio State, 5-0 and coming off its biggest win under Coach Urban Meyer, hosts No. 21/20 and 4-1 Nebraska in a huge, Leaders vs. Legends matchup in the Big Ten Conference. ABC will carry the 8 p.m. game to a national television audience.

GAME DAY IS GAME NIGHT
The game will be the 11th night game in Ohio Stadium history. Ohio State is 7-3 all-time in home night games, including a 33-29 win over Wisconsin last year in a game where 31 fourth quarter points were scored.

Ohio Stadium night games:
1. Sept. 14, 1985 - 10-7 win over Pitt
2. Sept. 11, 1993 - 21-12 win over Washington
3. Aug. 28, 1997 - 24-10 win over Wyoming
4. Sept. 11, 1999 - 42-20 win over UCLA
5. Oct. 6, 2001 - 38-20 win over Northwestern
6. Aug. 30, 2003 - 28-9 win over Washington
7. Sept. 10, 2005 - 25-22 loss to Texas
8. Oct. 25, 2008 - 13-6 loss to Penn State
9. Sept. 12, 2009 - 18-15 loss to USC
10. Oct. 29, 2011 - 33-27 win over Wisconsin

1972 TEAM TO BE RECOGNIZED
Members of the 1972 Ohio State team will be recognized during the Nebraska game. The 1972 Buckeyes went 9-2 overall and 7-1 in the Big Ten Conference to earn a share of the championship. It would be the first of a Big Ten-record six consecutive Big Ten titles (outright and shared). Captains were Richard Galbos and George Hasenohrl. LB Randy Gradishar and OT John Hicks were named all Americans while OG Charles Bonica and DT Hasenohrl joined them as all-Big Ten selections. This was the first year freshmen are eligible to play, signaling the start of the Archie Griffin era at Ohio State.

AND IT'S HOMECOMING, TOO
Ohio Stadium, celebrating its 90th season and where the Buckeyes won their 400th game two weeks ago (400-109-20) over UAB, will play host to the 91st Homecoming game in school history this week with the Cornhuskers in town. Ohio State is officially 65-19-5 in Homecoming games.

OHIO STATE/NEBRASKA SERIES HISTORY
The game Saturday represents the fourth in the series between the Buckeyes and the Cornhuskers and the second Big Ten contest. Ohio State, under coach Woody Hayes, won both previous meetings in Columbus: 28-20 in its 1955 season opener and 34-7 in 1956 in front of a record Ohio Stadium crowd of 82,153. Last year in Lincoln, and in the first Big Ten game at Memorial Stadium, Ohio State led 27-6 in the third quarter but gave up the final 28 points and lost, 34-27. The 21-point lead was the largest ever surrendered by a Buckeye team in a loss. A few more 2011 game notes:

Braxton Miller had rushed for 91 yards and passed for 95 with one score before a third-quarter ankle sprain ended his night.
Carlos Hyde had his first 100-yard rushing game with 104 yards, including TDs of 63 and one yard.
Jake Stoneburner scored on a 32-yard pass play.
C.J. Barnett set a then-career best with 10 tackles.
Nebraska QB Taylor Martinez and RB Rex Burkhead rushed for 102 and 119 yards, respectively.

BIG TEN SEASON OPENERS
In a game coach Urban Meyer referenced as "two sledgehammers going at each other," Ohio State topped Michigan State, 17-16, in East Lansing. The go-ahead score coming with 3:05 to go in the third quarter on a Braxton Miller-to-Devin Smith 63-yard touchdown pass play. Nebraska trailed Wisconsin by 17 points, but four consecutive second-half scoring drives propelled the Huskers past the Badgers, 30-27, in Lincoln.

FIRST TIME IN 56 YEARS IN OHIO STADIUM
Nebraska is making its first visit to Ohio Stadium in 56 years, or since the Cornhuskers came to Columbus consecutively in 1955 and 1956. Way back then ...

The games vs. Nebraska were the season openers in both years;
Jim Parker was starring for the Buckeyes; he was named All-American in 1955 and 1956 and he won the 1956 Outland Trophy;
Ohio State would set a Big Ten record in 1956 with its 17th consecutive league win; and
Hopalong Cassady scored three touchdowns in the 1955 game when the defending national champion Buckeyes won, 28-20.

URBAN, BO and OHIO
The game will be the first against each other as head coaches for Urban Meyer and Mark "Bo" Pelini, a couple of northeast Ohio natives who were raised in Ashtabula and Youngstown, respectively. Meyer is 109-23 in his 11th season as a head coach and Pelini is 43-17 in his fifth season as a collegiate head coach.

GRADUATES OF "THE"
Urban Meyer, a 1986 graduate of the University of Cincinnati with a degree in psychology, has his master's degree (sports administration) from Ohio State ('88). Pelini is a 1990 graduate of Ohio State with a degree in business marketing. He was twice named academic all-Big Ten.

BUCKEYE BO - 1987-90
Bo Pelini is a four-year Ohio State Varsity O letterwinner. His first season with Ohio State was in 1987, the final year for coach Earle Bruce, and he would start at safety in the secondary for the 1989 and 1990 Buckeye teams coached by John Cooper. He was team captain in 1990 along with Jeff Graham, Dan Beatty, Vinnie Clark and Greg Frey.

SO WHAT WAS LIFE LIKE ... IN 1956
The last time Nebraska played a game in Ohio Stadium (all info gleaned off the World Wide Web):

The first portable black and white television sets were just hitting the market;
The average cost of monthly rent was $88;
One gallon of gas cost 22 cents;
A new car cost, on average, about $2 grand;
Yankee Don Larsen pitched the only perfect game in World Series history nine days after the Ohio State/Nebraska game;
These people were born in `56: Larry Bird, Bjorn Borg, Kenny G, Tom Hanks, La Toya Jackson, Sugar Ray Leonard, Barry Melrose, Joe Montana and Ron White.
Elvis Presley appeared on the Ed Sullivan show for the first time, and he released the first of his 170 hit songs: "Heartbreak Hotel."

A PAIR OF TOP 5 PROGRAMS
Ohio State and Nebraska are two of the Top 5 winningest teams in college football history. Ohio State is fifth all-time with 830 victories. Nebraska is in fourth place all-time with 845 wins.

LOTS OF HARDWARE
Ohio State, behind its seven Heisman Trophy winners, has won 36 major national awards. Nebraska players have won three Heisman Trophies and 23 major awards. In terms of Consensus All-Americans, Ohio State has produced a Big Ten-best 78 such honorees while Nebraska has had 55. Here are each school's last...

Heisman Trophy Winner

Ohio State - Troy Smith (2006)

Nebraska - Eric Crouch (2001)

Outland Trophy Winner

Ohio State - Orlando Pace (1995)

Nebraska - Ndamukong Suh (2009)

Lombardi Trophy Winner

Ohio State - Orlando Pace (1996)

Nebraska - Ndamukong Suh (2009)

Maxwell Award

Ohio State - Eddie George (1995)

Nebraska - Mike Rozier (1983)

Walter Camp Player of the Year

Ohio State - Troy Smith (2006)

Nebraska - Eric Crouch (2001)

Major Award Winner

Ohio State - James Laurinaitis (2008 Lott Trophy and Lowe's Senior Class Award) and Malcolm Jenkins (2008 Thorpe Award)

Nebraska - Ndamukong Suh (2009 Outland Trophy and Lombardi Award)

FIRST IN NFF SCHOLAR-ATHLETES
Ohio State and Nebraska are tied for first nationally in number of National Football Foundation Scholar-Athletes with 20 apiece.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

As a last second update, my guy at Ray Rays just posted that they will not be at the Lane ave location on Saturday.
Sorry to get you wound up for great BBQ for nothing.

Return to “College Sports”