little league

Looking for games? Updates on travel, youth, jr high or AAU.. Post here
SJK
Waterboy

little league

Post by SJK »

How are LL coaches picked? Are they nominated by the president and voted on by the board? How do you get nominated? Is the process the same for all leagues or does each district make their own rules on picking coaches?

huedawg
JV Team

Re: little league

Post by huedawg »

SJK wrote:How are LL coaches picked? Are they nominated by the president and voted on by the board? How do you get nominated? Is the process the same for all leagues or does each district make their own rules on picking coaches?

You turn in your coaches application and then your board of directors vote on the coaches .

The_Sports_Junky
Varsity

Post by The_Sports_Junky »

Appointments (Managers, Coaches, Umpires)
This is a critical time of year for Hometown Little League, as it is for every league. (Regulation I (b) and I (c); Pamphlet - Little League’s Greatest Challenge.) At Hometown, the first step is for committees to seek and screen those willing to serve. The next step is for the president to appoint managers, coaches and umpires at his/her discretion. Exception: Coaches new to a particular team can not be named until after the draft. (Operating Manual - Local League Administration; Regulation I b.)
The final step in the appointment process is for the board of directors to approve or disapprove that appointment. No person can manage, coach or umpire without the president appointing and the board approving that appointment. A president and/or board of directors SHOULD NOT give a reason to a person if he or she is not re-appointed or re-approved as a manager, coach or umpire for the coming season. No manager, coach or umpire has tenure, regardless of the years of service.
Leagues should send managers, coaches and umpires to Regional Headquarters for clinics, First-Aid classes, etc., and take advantage of the Little League Education Program for Managers and Coaches. Appointments of managers, coaches and umpires must only be made after the background check is complete.

2ndchance
Riding the Bench

Post by 2ndchance »

The President should at least give the board a reason why he or she doesn`t want someone to manage or coach. If the reason is just PERSONAL and no league issues are involved then that is just wrong!!! If one can`t put PeRSONAL issues aside then maybe he or she shouldn`t be in office and step down from their position.

Peanut
JV Team

Post by Peanut »

I can't agree with you more. Although, little league international really advises presidents of local leagues to not give a reason, it just adds fuel to the fire. I do believe the board should be able to vote, not just one person throwing someone out.

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

I'm sure anyone who was not approved to manage or coach could get a reason why from a league president or board member.

ItownHosscat
S

Post by ItownHosscat »

You run a fine league sir.

ohiosportsmom
Riding the Bench

Post by ohiosportsmom »

I agree with 2ndchance. A president should put personal reasons aside. This happened to a good coach at Minford[who was there for the league and all the girls at Minford] due to personal reasons the president had against him.

softball10
Waterboy

Post by softball10 »

believe it or not this happens alot. It's sad when the kids are not put first. If the guy from Minford has been there for the girls and now they have taken him away from them, the whole board should be gone. My son had one of his favorite coaches treated that way in our league and he really never enjoyed baseball again.

rockfish
Riding the Bench

Post by rockfish »

softball10 wrote:believe it or not this happens alot. It's sad when the kids are not put first. If the guy from Minford has been there for the girls and now they have taken him away from them, the whole board should be gone. My son had one of his favorite coaches treated that way in our league and he really never enjoyed baseball again.

Sadly more than one league conducts it's operations this way. It's not about the kids it is about the parents or others who are out for their own selfish gains. It's an ego think or power trip I guess.

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

No league says, "we are going to be one of those leagues who runs on personal gains and ego trips." Leagues are made up of people and a league is only as good as the people who volunteer to run it. That goes from board members all the way down the line to the people to umpire games and work in the concession stand. If you don't think the people volunteering in your league are doing a good job, spend more of your own time taking up their slack or don't vote them in as a board member.

Riverrat Tiger
Freshman Team

Post by Riverrat Tiger »

Good point BWH. Little Leagues are ran by volunteers. If every parent would put just 1 hour of time at their local leagues it would make a world of difference, but just to be honest, that's not going to happen. I don't know how many times I've told someone that the rakes are a "one size fits all", and as far as I know you don't need to get a license to use one. Being on a Little League Board is not a glamour position. I've been involved for over 20 years and my oldest daughter is 8. I've been on our board for several of those years and I can tell you more than once, someone has gotten on our board just to find out how much work is involved and then resigned. Appointing Managers and coaches is just a small part of what the board actually does, but none the less an important one. Sometimes there are more people that want to manage than there are teams, and also, there are times when the board has to try and find managers for teams. I would say that the best way to make changes at your local league is to get involved for all the kids. Being over the top for your own agenda is usually seen right thru. I hope all the kids have a great season.

lostcause
Freshman Team

Post by lostcause »

i believe that some leagues are ran better than others. it all depends on the people who actually run it. i have been a board member for two years and a volunteer for three. i sometimes think that i do more than what i should but i have the time and dont care to do it. i am at the field more than four days a week(more than my wife wants me to be) trying to make things right for the kids. i wanted a managers job this year and still didnt get it.(i ve had one the past two years). sometimes i think it who has the money or whos at the helm,but you need to just grin and bear it for the kids. i would do anything im asked to do and sometimes things im not.
but moral of my story is if you think you got the wrong end of the deal laugh it off and think of the kids and your hometown league.
VOLUNTEERS ARE STILL NEEDED AT YOUR LOCAL LITTLE LEAGUE!!!!!!!! SIGN UP NOW!!!!!!!!!

lostcause
Freshman Team

Post by lostcause »

BlindWhiteHat wrote:No league says, "we are going to be one of those leagues who runs on personal gains and ego trips." Leagues are made up of people and a league is only as good as the people who volunteer to run it. That goes from board members all the way down the line to the people to umpire games and work in the concession stand. If you don't think the people volunteering in your league are doing a good job, spend more of your own time taking up their slack or don't vote them in as a board member.

ihave to disagree. not a league as a whole but individuals who are on the board that have there "click"....

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

That is my point. No league says that, but I agree some people do. If so, spend more of your time so they will spend less of theirs "helping" out.

huedawg
JV Team

Post by huedawg »

All leagues have their "clicks" . The only difference is , is that some are worse than others . Rock Hill is a prime example of being worse than most .

slider00
Waterboy

Post by slider00 »

Rock Hill's board has a lot of different people this year who want to focus on the children, unlike in the years past. I can't see how they have their "clicks" this year with different board members.

The_Sports_Junky
Varsity

Post by The_Sports_Junky »

Just a heads up..Webster's spells it CLIQUE.

slider00
Waterboy

Post by slider00 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good Call Sports Junky

SENDEM
All Conference

Post by SENDEM »

Here is a CURE for most Leagues UMPIRE problems

Have ur Coachs an parents that set back an rant an rave at the Umpires thats on the field all the time, an have them UMPIRE a game. An just see how long them people will last. I would venture to say about 1 1/2 innings if that. Before u do that make sure that they know the RULES, I sorry they know them all :122246 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “JR High, AAU, Travel, Youth League Sports”