What "team" walks a 12yr old 4 straight times????

Looking for games? Updates on travel, youth, jr high or AAU.. Post here
gunman
Waterboy

What "team" walks a 12yr old 4 straight times????

Post by gunman »

What are we teaching the kids???

SJK
Waterboy

Re: What "team" walks a 12yr old 4 straight times????

Post by SJK »

I was privileged to see a 10yr old from Minford walked this week intentionally since her father was banned for life from the league last week.

SJK
Waterboy

Post by SJK »

I should have said her father was a coach that was great with the girls, was there to teach the girls and to build a program for Minford High School. I feel he was done wrong by Minford Little League.

Peanut
JV Team

Post by Peanut »

If you walk a 10 yr old because of her dad, then the coach who walked her has no business in little league or even coaching for that matter. Walking any kid in little league is un-called for, this is time for the kids to get better, not about winning or losing!!

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

gapper wrote:Walking any kid in little league is un-called for, this is time for the kids to get better, not about winning or losing!!

That philosophy is great in theory, but since they keep scores, records, statistics, give trophies and have all-star teams, coaches play to win and advance their own players and agendas. The part about being for the kids and making the kids get better only applies to each coaches' team and his players. That is reality, like it or not.

SJK
Waterboy

Post by SJK »

I really don't think the coach done this because of her father. She is just a good hitter.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

You don't walk kids in little league!!!!!!

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

I've seen this activity go on as far back as 30 years. It's been going on for that long and it will continue as long as W-L records and stats are kept.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Orange and Brown wrote:You don't walk kids in little league!!!!!!

I agree. Let the kids decide the outcome.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Viking96 wrote:
Orange and Brown wrote:You don't walk kids in little league!!!!!!

I agree. Let the kids decide the outcome.

Neither team learns anything from that.

I am so glad that our Little league isn't like that here.

gunman
Waterboy

Post by gunman »

Now, since I have cooled off a bit. This 12 yr old happens to be my son. He actually works his butt off at the game of baseball. Hitting and catching. By intentionly walking him every time in last nights game, he said to me on the way home from the game, that he felt like he let his team down. But, for a 12 yr old, who has played 21 games this season he has 17 dingers and 3 against this team.
But in my opinion you don't walk a kid 4 straight times.

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

I have seen batters have shifts played against them in 7-8 year old pitching machine regular season games. This stuff doesn't happen in Tee Ball because we aren't keeping score. Trust me, as soon as the scoreboard is turned on, there will be people willing to do whatever they can to help the team win.

So I have to ask, if this kid has hit 3 home runs against this particular team, don't you think the coach is letting his kids down if he pitches to this hitter and possibly costs his team a game?

gogrove9
JV Team

Post by gogrove9 »

That is no worse than having every batter not swing because the pitcher can't throw a "strike" so that the bases are loaded and you start walking in runs. I didn't say the pitches weren't hittable I just said they weren't "strikes". This has happened from 7-8 yr olds on up. I think it could possibly ruin what could be a good pitcher as they get more experience because of the embarrassment and pressure they are put under in these situations. Not to mention the defense is also getting no experience. A coach should be there to give guidance but let the kids decide if they want to swing or not .
How is it helping the batters learn how to hit?

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

There is no reason to walk a kid 4 times in a game in little league. Little league is supposed to teach kids how to play baseball and they learn nothing by walking some one because they hit a lot of home runs. I see no problem with having your pitcher pitch around the hitter but not put him on with 4 straight balls.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

They are learning something and thats strategy of the game. Its not always about the fundamentals sometimes you gotta teach the strategy to the kids too. Plus as a coach you want to win for the kids. If walking a kid 4 times gives your team a better chance to win then do it. You want to put your players in the best position to win the game.

buckeye83
Riding the Bench

Post by buckeye83 »

gogrove9 wrote:That is no worse than having every batter not swing because the pitcher can't throw a "strike" so that the bases are loaded and you start walking in runs. I didn't say the pitches weren't hittable I just said they weren't "strikes". This has happened from 7-8 yr olds on up. I think it could possibly ruin what could be a good pitcher as they get more experience because of the embarrassment and pressure they are put under in these situations. Not to mention the defense is also getting no experience. A coach should be there to give guidance but let the kids decide if they want to swing or not .
How is it helping the batters learn how to hit?

absolutley the most intelligent post ive read on here to date!!! Not to mention the fact that a defensive player gets no better if every batter at age 12 & under is waiting to hit a strike,if thats the case the ball rarely gets put into play on a consistant basis.It makes me ill when i hear parents & coaches encouraging players to "wait on your pitch or make em throw you a strike

West Side Pride
All Conference

Post by West Side Pride »

Buckeye83 and gogrove both see the big picture for the future of their programs.
patience is a virtue, (for business). Agressive at bat wins games against another
good team. We've told our junior high girls that if they can put the ball in play to
make the hit. Even if the ball is inside, low, outside, or whatever.

gogrove9
JV Team

Post by gogrove9 »

Maybe for 7-8 yr olds there should be a more generous strike zone to encourage batters (and coaches) to swing rather than stand there. As the pitchers learn how to throw then the zone should be reduced to normal size in 9-10 and up. The purpose of little league is to teach the kids how to "PLAY" . This would make better pitchers and batters. The more times you take a swing and make contact the better you will be at hitting as you get into the bigger leagues. You don't go to the batting cages and just stand there and watch good pitches go by even if they're not strikes. You swing at everything you can and try to get a hit.

The batters that are told to stand there by their coaches are not being done any favors. They will have no experience in batting and consequently in running if they would make contact.

huedawg
JV Team

Post by huedawg »

gunman wrote:What are we teaching the kids???

Its called "Ball" get over it .

Pepsiman
JV Team

Post by Pepsiman »

I saw on the other thread about this it said he hit 17 hr this season. What were the dimesions of the field?Walking a player is just part of the game.One must remember this is Little League regular season.When he gets to All Stars he will have better players batting in front and behind him and he should get more pitches to hit.
Now here comes the ugly part that needs to be said. Be happy he is that talented instead of complaining about it. Put yourself in the shoes of the player batting behind him.You know it makes him feel bad because they are walking this player so they can pitch to you.

Return to “JR High, AAU, Travel, Youth League Sports”