Minford (7-0) @ Northwest (6-1)

Looking for games? Updates on travel, youth, jr high or AAU.. Post here
nafkwah0m
Waterboy

Minford (7-0) @ Northwest (6-1)

Post by nafkwah0m »

Can Northwest pull off the upset and earn a share of the SOC II Title?

Jorge Sandusky
Riding the Bench

Re: Minford (7-0) @ Northwest (6-1)

Post by Jorge Sandusky »

I would say the Mohawks are in for one this week. I heard they went to Waverly and got pounded? I would say Falcons by about 5 tds. I was on the mohawk bandwagon but I guess all those west siders were right about the mohawks.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

Northwest is for real. This group will put them back on the football map. They are big, strong and aggressive up front. And they are not slow.

Waverly won 14-0 the other night at Waverly. Most of Waverly's offense came through the air. The Tigers were able to spring a couple of runs but not much on the ground. I believe Northwest had some kids out injured. I was told their tailback is out with a broken arm. Not sure about others.

Waverly's first game of the year was at Minford. I believe the falcons already had a game under their belt. Minford lead 14-6 and scored another TD late in the 4th to win 20-6. Competitive game.

Waverly has improved. Last week they lead a tough Jackson team most of the game before falling in the 4th 28-22. The game was at Jackson.

Hope this provides some prospective. If Northwest DB's can do a better job in pass coverage they have a decent chance. And they need to stop running that reverse/fake reverse so much. They must have ran it 10 times and it didn't fool anyone. With the speed Minford has it will not work!

Good to see Northwest having success. By the size of the crowd they brought the other night you would have thought it was a high school game. This should be a good game. Good Luck to both teams :)

Tower
JV Team

Post by Tower »

I was at Waverly/Northwest game. Should have been closer than 14-0. Northwest was driving the ball in 10-15 yard increments by running in up the middle then they decided to run those reverses and passes. Northwest controlled 2nd half pretty well, just needed to keep running up the gut. and yes the Silhavy boy was not able to play due to broken arm. Waverly has very good team with nice passing game. SOC is going to have some very good teams coming up.

Jorge Sandusky
Riding the Bench

Post by Jorge Sandusky »

I was also at the NW waverly game and NW turned the ball over like 6 times and still had a good chance to win that game. I just hope they bounce back this week and beat Minford. If they can do that, they can get a share of the SOC. I would just like to see something good to happen for those kids and that area. They have struggled for such a long time in football. I would think that they will have a huge crowd at home on thursday night under the lights

toast
All State

Post by toast »

I'm wondering if Northwest panicked the other night. I agree their strong suit is running between the tackles. Although I don't remember but one, maybe two carries of more than 10 yards. The passing game just didn't look crisp. Perhaps they hadn't needed to pass up to that point in the season? The reverses just are not going to work on a team with decent speed and discipline. Sure hope they don't try those against Minford.

As far as turnovers, I honestly only remember one by Northwest, but maybe there were more. Waverly did thrown an interception on a deep drive in the second half.

Regardless, Northwest is very good and it's nice to see the community rallying around this team. I just might come down and watch this game.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

I would be interested in knowing the scorces for both of these teams against Burg and West.

How good is the Northwest back that is out with the broken arm? I'm guessing that was him who lead the team out on to the field. He passes the look test!

Jorge Sandusky
Riding the Bench

Post by Jorge Sandusky »

He was a good RB and middle LB. He had probably 800 yds and 10 scores in the six games he played. Burg was not on NW schedule this year for some reason, and yes NW did have multiple turnovers. They threw at least 2 picks, one coming inside the 10yd line and I can recall at least 3 fumbles and two of them coming on the reverses. They also turned it over on downs once on a horrific spot by the refs inside the 10 yd line. They could have won that game for sure if they would have executed. They shut West out two weeks ago 12-0 in the mud

noles_fan
S

Post by noles_fan »

nafkwahom wrote:Can Northwest pull off the upset and earn a share of the SOC II Title?
To earn a share of the SOC you would need to play all the SOC schools!!!!

nafkwah0m
Waterboy

Post by nafkwah0m »

The only SOC school they don't play is Burg. These kids didn't make their schedule and many conferences don't play every school. If they win my understanding is Minford, Burg, and NW would all have one SOC loss. So that would be a share of the title. Unless NW is eliminated because their athletic director didn't schedule Burg. But thats a topic for possible future discussion first they have to win and that is not going to be an easy task. Minford will be the best team they've faced all year and they were unable to beat Waverly. Minford did beat Waverly. Hopefully we can have this discussion Friday.

jujubean
Freshman Team

Post by jujubean »

"Unless NW is eliminated because their athletic director didn't schedule Burg"

I guess Wheelersburg is eliminated too because their athletic director didn't schedule Northwest. (_?_)

So Minford has clinched the SOC Middle School Championship! :aaaaa24

noles_fan
S

Post by noles_fan »

nafkwahom wrote:The only SOC school they don't play is Burg. These kids didn't make their schedule and many conferences don't play every school. If they win my understanding is Minford, Burg, and NW would all have one SOC loss. So that would be a share of the title. Unless NW is eliminated because their athletic director didn't schedule Burg. But thats a topic for possible future discussion first they have to win and that is not going to be an easy task. Minford will be the best team they've faced all year and they were unable to beat Waverly. Minford did beat Waverly. Hopefully we can have this discussion Friday.
Your right they would all have one loss but Minford would have more wins. That would be the deciding factor.

Jorge Sandusky
Riding the Bench

Post by Jorge Sandusky »

Burg has two losses, they lost to Waverly and Minford. And Noles fan, don't hate cause you west siders don't have anything to talk about this year since football and girls softball is the only sports u have on the west side and Football hasn't been too fun this year has it??? LOL Hey Softball will be starting before you know it.

Jorge Sandusky
Riding the Bench

Post by Jorge Sandusky »

My fault I guess Burg did beat waverly by 6, and minford beat waverly 20/6 the second game of the year. Oh well if the Mohawks beat minford thursday night and go 7-1 and Minford is 7-1 then they are the two best teams in the soc hands down.

noles_fan
S

Post by noles_fan »

Jorge Sandusky wrote:Burg has two losses, they lost to Waverly and Minford. And Noles fan, don't hate cause you west siders don't have anything to talk about this year since football and girls softball is the only sports u have on the west side and Football hasn't been too fun this year has it??? LOL Hey Softball will be starting before you know it.
That's where your wrong football has been great for me. My son plays 7th grade they are 5-1 this year so I have nothing to complain about. So you can take all the shots you want but I can say this I only need one team to root for, I don't need to jump from one team to another. So there you go I guess you are wrong again, but by now you should be use to that. So just keep hating all you want my season has been great I couldn't be happier of my sons team!!!! And by the way the point I was making is even if all 3 teams had 1 loss Northwest still would be on the outside looking in. Because it don't go on losses as much as wins but I guess grade school math is to much for you. Anyone who has been around sports knows most wins in the conference is champs. No ties unless conference records are identical wins and losses. So maybe be better prepared before you come at me!!!!

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

noles_fan wrote:
Jorge Sandusky wrote:Burg has two losses, they lost to Waverly and Minford. And Noles fan, don't hate cause you west siders don't have anything to talk about this year since football and girls softball is the only sports u have on the west side and Football hasn't been too fun this year has it??? LOL Hey Softball will be starting before you know it.
That's where your wrong football has been great for me. My son plays 7th grade they are 5-1 this year so I have nothing to complain about. So you can take all the shots you want but I can say this I only need one team to root for, I don't need to jump from one team to another. So there you go I guess you are wrong again, but by now you should be use to that. So just keep hating all you want my season has been great I couldn't be happier of my sons team!!!! And by the way the point I was making is even if all 3 teams had 1 loss Northwest still would be on the outside looking in. Because it don't go on losses as much as wins but I guess grade school math is to much for you. Anyone who has been around sports knows most wins in the conference is champs. No ties unless conference records are identical wins and losses. So maybe be better prepared before you come at me!!!!

Oh my oh my......

There is no such thing as a Junior High SOC champ. There never has been and I don't see it happening in the near future.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Putting stock in a junior high football soc championship is silly. We lost to Northwest by 2 touchdowns in eighth grade and won 56-0 our senior year. Why, because they had some 15 year old kid running the football and dominated the game. Parents just need to enjoy the expeience.

marshallman
Varsity

Post by marshallman »

wobycat wrote:Putting stock in a junior high football soc championship is silly. We lost to Northwest by 2 touchdowns in eighth grade and won 56-0 our senior year. Why, because they had some 15 year old kid running the football and dominated the game. Parents just need to enjoy the expeience.
I agree, you can't really predict how a class is going to do in HS because its not the same in HS. Next year, you will have these 8th graders getting splintered up with soph, JR and seniors and now all of a sudden they are not all playing as one team. Also, a lot of them will get a shock when they are not the RB, QB, TE, WR or even lineman they were in JR high. High school, its all about speed and talent because its for the win. They will have to compete for playing time in HS. JR high can hardly go 2 deep at every position with talent. JR high is all about development.

For the Minford game tonight against NW. I heard its on the radio 107.5 starting at 6:30. Minford has beaten every team by no less than 2 TDs except for burg where Minford beat them by 8pt. Last year, Minford 7th grade, which is this years 8th grade, beat NW- 20-14. So, I expect this to be a game that will give Minford a challenge which they need. Alot of Jr HS teams are down in talent in Scioto county for this class and its hard to gage how well they can do against talented teams. Lets hope for an injury free game and a good one!

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

I heard Minford won tonight. What was the score?

minford17
Varsity

Post by minford17 »

30-0 is what i was told

Return to “JR High, AAU, Travel, Youth League Sports”