Jr High Basketball

Looking for games? Updates on travel, youth, jr high or AAU.. Post here
Ukfanatic
Varsity

Jr High Basketball

Post by Ukfanatic »

Jr high basketball! Who has the best teams n the areas for both boys and girls.

Tower
JV Team

Re: Jr High Basketball

Post by Tower »

Imagine Wheelersburg 8th boys will be strong again, especially with Holden boy. Have no idea how any 7th grade teams will look.

OICU812
Varsity

Post by OICU812 »

Not too sure how 7th grade is shaping up! Logan 8th should have a real good year!
Last edited by OICU812 on Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Championship
JV Team

Post by Championship »

8th Grade Boys OVC will be an absolute dog fight on a nightly basis. With Ironton joining the league adding to an already very competitive group of boys between South Point, Fairland, Coal Grove and Chesapeake.

7th Grade Boys OVC should be very interesting as well with Rock Hill, Chesapeake, South Point and Ironton all offering pretty good rosters.

Keep in mind I'm not sure what Portsmouth offers for either group, as well as Fairland and Coal Grove in 7th and Rock Hill in 8th.

youthsportsfan
JV Team

Post by youthsportsfan »

Championship wrote:8th Grade Boys OVC will be an absolute dog fight on a nightly basis. With Ironton joining the league adding to an already very competitive group of boys between South Point, Fairland, Coal Grove and Chesapeake.

7th Grade Boys OVC should be very interesting as well with Rock Hill, Chesapeake, South Point and Ironton all offering pretty good rosters.

Keep in mind I'm not sure what Portsmouth offers for either group, as well as Fairland and Coal Grove in 7th and Rock Hill in 8th.
Ovc 8th

Ironton
South Point
Coal Grove
Fairland.
Portsmouth
Chesapeake
Rock Hill
Ironton 8th coming off an undefeated season will be hard to beat by any of the OVC teams. 2nd -4th could be in any order .

Looking forward to a great season.

IBTT
All Conference

Post by IBTT »

There could be a number of good teams in the OVC this season. Ironton and Coal Grove have been beating up on each other for a number of years now. Last year the teams didn't get a chance to play each other. Ironton went undefeated and won the Ohio/Kentucky OVC while Coal Grove had one loss to the mighty Fairland Dragons. Fairland comes in with good talent that with playing a good game they always have a chance to knock off anyone. South Point comes in with some of the best talent in the area. Chesapeake I have been told has some good talent as well. I haven't heard about Rock Hill, guess we will have to wait and see. Burg has some nice talent. Last year they took a beating when they played at home against this Ironton 8th grade team as most starters were sitting before the half, but I can't see that happening too often, that was their only defeat.

youthsportsfan
JV Team

Post by youthsportsfan »

IBTT wrote:There could be a number of good teams in the OVC this season. Ironton and Coal Grove have been beating up on each other for a number of years now. Last year the teams didn't get a chance to play each other. Ironton went undefeated and won the Ohio/Kentucky OVC while Coal Grove had one loss to the mighty Fairland Dragons. Fairland comes in with good talent that with playing a good game they always have a chance to knock off anyone. South Point comes in with some of the best talent in the area. Chesapeake I have been told has some good talent as well. I haven't heard about Rock Hill, guess we will have to wait and see. Burg has some nice talent. Last year they took a beating when they played at home against this Ironton 8th grade team as most starters were sitting before the half, but I can't see that happening too often, that was their only defeat.
Yes this game was quickly out of hand. And Burg has a good team That's why I don't see anyone giving Ironton a challenge in the OVC. Although we will have better games than we did last yr. or at least we hope. To much talent , to many scorers.

IBTT
All Conference

Post by IBTT »

As long as this group plays team ball and don't look to pad their individual stats it could be a very good season for these boys. They have a very fine coach so I believe he will see to it that their individual ideas quickly are an afterthought. When this team plays as a team, I have not ever seen anyone come close. As we have seen with the University of Kentucky, even when you have talent at all 5 positions, if you don't play team ball you won't get far. Anxious for the season to kick off.

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

Ironton, Coal Grove, Fairland, and wheelersburg all have good 8th grade teams. Waverly should be competitive again at 8th grade level. Only lost to Valley and Wheelersburg last year and won the Eastern Tournament as 7th graders. Waverlys seventh grade is very good and has a shot at going undefeated I think. Going to be a fun year. Good luck to everyone and stay injury free!

Lovetheroundball
Riding the Bench

Post by Lovetheroundball »

It would be interesting to know how many undefeated junior high teams have translated into dominate teams by the time they reach juniors/seniors. There are so many factors that are advantages at the junior high level. Teams that have the size and aggressiveness at this level have a huge advantage. By the time these players reach Varsity age these advantages seem to level out. After seeing Ironton and Coal Grove some at the West summer league it is no wonder they blow out a lot of teams. It looked like men playing against boys. The current size advantage and aggressiveness they have at this age will win against skill every time. Not to say these players also don't have skill but the advantage is obvious before you ever see them touch a ball.

PullingGard
Waterboy

Post by PullingGard »

Nothing But Net 1 wrote:It would be interesting to know how many undefeated junior high teams have translated into dominate teams by the time they reach juniors/seniors. There are so many factors that are advantages at the junior high level. Teams that have the size and aggressiveness at this level have a huge advantage. By the time these players reach Varsity age these advantages seem to level out. After seeing Ironton and Coal Grove some at the West summer league it is no wonder they blow out a lot of teams. It looked like men playing against boys. The current size advantage and aggressiveness they have at this age will win against skill every time. Not to say these players also don't have skill but the advantage is obvious before you ever see them touch a ball.
Very true. A few years ago, Waverly had a dominate 8th grade team (Martin and others). One transfers, a few injuries, others don't play and without Kretzer transfering in probably would not have won 5 games their senior year. At the time I was thinking "Wait till these kids get to high school". Martin was the only starter on this 8th grade team to finish their senior year of basketball at Waverly. This is why it is important not to cut to early and discourage kids from coming out for basketball.

youthsportsfan
JV Team

Post by youthsportsfan »

Nothing But Net 1 wrote:It would be interesting to know how many undefeated junior high teams have translated into dominate teams by the time they reach juniors/seniors. There are so many factors that are advantages at the junior high level. Teams that have the size and aggressiveness at this level have a huge advantage. By the time these players reach Varsity age these advantages seem to level out. After seeing Ironton and Coal Grove some at the West summer league it is no wonder they blow out a lot of teams. It looked like men playing against boys. The current size advantage and aggressiveness they have at this age will win against skill every time. Not to say these players also don't have skill but the advantage is obvious before you ever see them touch a ball.
I'm guessing Lafon would rather have aggressive winners to develop from freshman to senior year vs non aggressive 8-8 teams. I couldn't agree more that the edge is to kids that have grew fast and starting to mature. And bigger vs other teams. And this gap will even out in high school. I personally think the difference in strong jr high teams and continuing that at the varsity level is the high school coaching staff and work ethic of the kids to improve their skill. The other factor is if the kids stay together. Sounds like Waverly lost most of their top 8. Ironton tends to maintain the kids and get new kids that want to be part of a great program.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Can someone post a schedule for Irontons 8th grade games if they have one?

Thanks,

youthsportsfan
JV Team

Post by youthsportsfan »

Who are the local jr high teams scrimmaging ? Any word on previews in OVC ?

IBTT
All Conference

Post by IBTT »

Ironton 8th plays Chesapeake in the previews and scrimmages West. The first game is against Fairland and second game is Coal Grove.

burg1
Riding the Bench

Post by burg1 »

Wheelersburg Jr High has 2 scrimmages: South Point and Fairland.

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

Burg1 I know wheelersburg has a very good eighth grade team. How is there seventh grade team?

burg1
Riding the Bench

Post by burg1 »

Very solid. Many good athletes on the 7th grade team. Lots of speed and good shooters. Looking forward to an exciting year for both 7th and 8th grade teams.

MClaw
Freshman Team

Post by MClaw »

Minford will host Huntington-Ross Saturday (11/22).

32hornets
Riding the Bench

Post by 32hornets »

CG 7th vs St Joe tonight
CG 8th vs Warren Saturday

Both play Rock Hill in previews

Return to “JR High, AAU, Travel, Youth League Sports”