Valley @ Burg (Boys)

Looking for games? Updates on travel, youth, jr high or AAU.. Post here
91Grad
JV Team

Post by 91Grad »

BULDOG wrote:In my opinion holding a kid back is solely based upon each case. Main focus should be for academic or social reasons giving them an extra year to mature. I do not agree holding a kid back for athletic gains although this seems to be getting more common.

As stated earlier, it catches up around their junior year no matter what their age. If the kid is a decent athlete and works hard he will not have any trouble playing sports in high school.

I agree with you BULDOG on the reasons for holding a kid back..You see more and more every year of parents holding there kids back for the wrong reasons though

BULDOG
All Conference

Post by BULDOG »

bushmaster24 wrote:i agree on the holding back thing it should be used case by case . then again when u have kisd from other schools that are 12or have just turned 13 8th graders.playing 13 soon to be 14 kids it makes a big differance. i dont think it has anything to do with hating any one schooljust trying to compete on the field and in the classroom.the team we played the other night had 2 7th graders older than 4 of our 8th graders starters.

Then again... Let's look at the big picture. These kids have 5-6 more years, then they graduate and go on to college or into the workforce. After that the high school sports does not really matter anymore. Who cares if you averaged 20 points a game in jr high? Who cares if you were a all conference football player? Who cares that they could not beat Burg in junior high as it does not really matter.

More importantly, what kind of individual have they grown up to be? How do they treat others? What kind of parent are they? These are the things that really matter in life!

It kills me how adults put so much emphasis on sports and expectations on these kids. Let them be kids and enjoy their time in school. I have always been told and agree that these are some of the best times of their lives. (Oh and I will say in the past I have been guilty of this as well :oops: )

falconflyer
Freshman Team

Post by falconflyer »

I am with Bulldog on most of this. We do agree don't we that the prefirst at WB is used routinely to produce players generally one year older than other school's players in the same grade? I firmly agree that by 11th grade it doesn't matter. I'd also predict that being a junior high star has does not predict high school success.

BULDOG
All Conference

Post by BULDOG »

falconflyer wrote:We do agree don't we that the prefirst at WB is used routinely to produce players generally one year older than other school's players in the same grade?

Used for this... probably. originally intended to be used for this, No. There are many students that do not even play sports that benefit from this program. These are not ready to move onto 1st grade academically or socially.

falconflyer
Freshman Team

Post by falconflyer »

We agree.

91Grad
JV Team

Post by 91Grad »

BULDOG wrote:
bushmaster24 wrote:i agree on the holding back thing it should be used case by case . then again when u have kisd from other schools that are 12or have just turned 13 8th graders.playing 13 soon to be 14 kids it makes a big differance. i dont think it has anything to do with hating any one schooljust trying to compete on the field and in the classroom.the team we played the other night had 2 7th graders older than 4 of our 8th graders starters.

Then again... Let's look at the big picture. These kids have 5-6 more years, then they graduate and go on to college or into the workforce. After that the high school sports does not really matter anymore. Who cares if you averaged 20 points a game in jr high? Who cares if you were a all conference football player? Who cares that they could not beat Burg in junior high as it does not really matter.

More importantly, what kind of individual have they grown up to be? How do they treat others? What kind of parent are they? These are the things that really matter in life!

It kills me how adults put so much emphasis on sports and expectations on these kids. Let them be kids and enjoy their time in school. I have always been told and agree that these are some of the best times of their lives. (Oh and I will say in the past I have been guilty of this as well :oops: )

BULDOG
I agree 100%, let the kids be kids and enjoy that time in there life because once thats gone it's gone..
HEART,PRIDE,DETERMINATION,AND THE WANT TOO IS WHAT MAKES AN ATHLETE AN ATHLETE WHEN THEY GET OLDER.. and as far as age goes it depends on when that kid starts maturing on when he becomes a better athlete,I have seen it as early as 6 th grade and as late as a sophmore in High School and I have seen it both ways on talented and gifted Jr. High players when they get to the High School level some excel even more and some just don't have the drive to be the best and they become an average player..It totally depends on the kids drive to want to succeed.

stewyj12
Waterboy

Post by stewyj12 »

Back to the burg and valley game, when these two meet at valley its going to be great one. One of valley's starters is back and ready to play after suffering an ankle injury. He was hurt when valley played burg so he got to watch valley lose. On top of that, there was another starter who was just released that day from the doctor to play. He had a concussion after playing minford. He has healed, and valley has thier starting five back. After thier loss, valley has been prepareing and is now ready for burg.

91Grad
JV Team

Post by 91Grad »

stewyj12 wrote:Back to the burg and valley game, when these two meet at valley its going to be great one. One of valley's starters is back and ready to play after suffering an ankle injury. He was hurt when valley played burg so he got to watch valley lose. On top of that, there was another starter who was just released that day from the doctor to play. He had a concussion after playing minford. He has healed, and valley has thier starting five back. After thier loss, valley has been prepareing and is now ready for burg.

Is this 7th or 8th grade ball players for Valley

DaBurg
Waterboy

Post by DaBurg »

I know that Portsmouth held some 8th graders back. They ended up graduating in 2005 when they should of in 2004, and I also know that some of them had very good grades, so it was not for academic reasons. One could only guess what other reason it was for lol. A lot of people thought that would be the team that would take Portsmouth to state. When Portsmouth played Wheelersburg the year those 8th graders should of been in 8th grade the 7th grade of Wheelersburg beat Portsmouth, but the next year when those held back players played in those games they were blowouts by Portsmouth in football and basketball.

bushmaster24
JV Team

Post by bushmaster24 »

It's not that hard guys.. u don't need a degree in physics.to see what is going on . if eveybody could look at thier kids when they are 5-6 yrsof age and see they have no social skills well we would have all kinds of palm readers in this area it is sports and that is a big part of the winning at shools who allow this..it is getting to apoint where if one school doesn't allow this and others do well u have 17 yr old sen. playing 19 yr old smells like a little like the mitchele report in baseball.. :idea:

rxburgfan
All State

Holding back

Post by rxburgfan »

If you have a kid repeat a grade to make them a better sports player then you're nuts as a parent. Who really cares who won a 7th or 8th grade game?

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

Not every kid will show signs of being immature at age 5 or 6. This is a touchy subject in my opinion because too many people judge unfairly. It's no one's business but the parents on whether or not a child is held back. If the parent can sleep at night with the decision to hold back a kid, then it's no one else's business.

kybaseball
Waterboy

Post by kybaseball »

BlindWhiteHat wrote:Not every kid will show signs of being immature at age 5 or 6. This is a touchy subject in my opinion because too many people judge unfairly. It's no one's business but the parents on whether or not a child is held back. If the parent can sleep at night with the decision to hold back a kid, then it's no one else's business.

I agree 100%.

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

Maturity is different than trying to get some sort of sports advantage. One is the parent thinking of the kid and the other is the parent thinking of the parent.

The Riepo Man
All Conference

Re: Valley @ Burg (Boys)

Post by The Riepo Man »

The only reason I think you should hold a child back is grades.

Return to “JR High, AAU, Travel, Youth League Sports”