Coal Grove Junior High runs scores up? NOT.

Looking for games? Updates on travel, youth, jr high or AAU.. Post here
Pocket Aces
S

Coal Grove Junior High runs scores up? NOT.

Post by Pocket Aces »

Word on the street claims that this current group of Junior High Hornets is guilty of running up the scores of recent games?

The facts:

1) Coach Barrett ALWAYS clears the bench first, much to the chagrin of the 8th graders, as a few of their shutouts have bitten the dust this way.

2) The 2nd and 3rd string players get beaten up and pwned throughout the week during practice. Surely others can understand that it wouldn't be quite fair for them to begin taking kneel downs halfway through the third quarter.

3) Check the stats. It's not as if CG is putting the ball in the air down the stretch.

Trust me, CG's Junior High squad is NOT running up scores. If they were, we'd be scoring in the 80's. And that's a COD-LOCK.

on a mission
All Conference

Re: Coal Grove Junior High runs scores up? NOT.

Post by on a mission »

I did see a post where a td was scored last week with only 5 secs remaining in the game.Call it what you want,but to me when your winning by 40 i think it is running the score up.I understand in the middle of the third,but with 5 secs remaining.Can't make me agree and that is fo sho a COD-LOCK :roll:I do realize that this was directed toward me,and I'll take full credit for stating this.You have helped to open my eyes on another issue though,and after it is taken care of I will let you in on it.I can't give you enough thanks for opening my eyes,because it will be very helpful.(It has nothing to do with this thread,and it may be a couple of weeks before it comes to pass,but since it is getting that time of year where I'll see you sitting around the table I know we'll have great conversation about it) :shock:

Pocket Aces
S

Post by Pocket Aces »

^^^^^ You aren't the only one, but we'll just have to agree to disagree on this topic.

Just keep in mind that the second and third stringers (mostly 7th graders) put in a lot of blood, sweat and tears during the week and they relish the opportunity to shine. As a current A-Team parent, you'll see what I am talking about next year.....I'm quite confident you'll come around to my way of thinking.

They often have to put up with half games, running clocks, no referees, etc.....so they shouldn't be expected to take a knee when they finally do have a chance to get in the house.

This isn't Tim Tebow (or Alex Bare) throwing with a minute to go to tack on BCS style points (and/or cover the spread).

Besides, I think the entire "politically/socially correct" taking of a knee can be even more humiliating to an opposing team.....I'd say 99.9% of the time the other team wants to do some hitting and just play the game that they have practiced so hard to participate in all week as well.

ARG - let's just say that when one team has more than a 2 touchdown lead, you are only allowed to run fullback dives and halfback isos. Get ahead three td's and you have to take knees......and all of the kids get the same trophies and multi-flavored sno cones after the game.

on a mission
All Conference

Post by on a mission »

We will have to agree to disagree.I'm not so sure that i'll have to deal with that next,I haven't had to up to this point,and I don't see it happening next year!The group of seventh graders are in a little different situation than most others, :? they have some kids that are in a league of their own. :idea: that are still on the team.I think if it weren't for that then your son along with Mcknight,and possibly a few others that I don't know would have a oppurtunity to get more time!

Pocket Aces
S

Post by Pocket Aces »

on a mission wrote:I think if it weren't for that then your son along with Mcknight,and possibly a few others that I don't know would have a oppurtunity to get more time!

I have ZERO issues with the amount of playing time that my son gets....

I'm just glad he isn't taking "mercy knees" when he does get in there.

on a mission
All Conference

Post by on a mission »

I don't think of it as a mercy knee when your up by 40!I think of the kids on the other side of the ball that have played as hard as they possibly can.I think that it is humiliation and not very classy when your up by 40 and score with only a few secs on the clock.One thing that people have to remember,it comes full circle,and that group of boys won't be playing junior high ball next year.JMO,and I have nothing else to say on this subject!

Pocket Aces
S

Post by Pocket Aces »

on a mission wrote:I don't think of it as a mercy knee when your up by 40!I think of the kids on the other side of the ball that have played as hard as they possibly can.I think that it is humiliation and not very classy when your up by 40 and score with only a few secs on the clock.

Understand that we're beating this to death.....and not that it is going to change your opinion, but it was not a 40 point game. The score was 31-8 at the time of the final CG score.

What are your feelings on Fairland's first string throwing the ball around on the Grove's 2nd and 3rd strings on the possession prior to Coal Grove's final score? They (Fairland) scored at the 3:26 mark of the fourth quarter.

I should note that I have ABSOLUTELY ZERO problem with Fairland throwing and scoring down the stretch....the QB Tucker is a heck of a player....and, despite the demise of the first-teamers' shutout, the game continued to be played and not just relegated to fullback dives and halfback isos.....the 2nd and 3rd stringers actually got the opportunity to work on the pass defenses that they trained all week to excute.....they got burned a time or two, but at least they weren't just embarrassingly going through the motions.

See, it is a very slippery slope that you getting onto.....both squads are playing football and either they are trying to score or they aren't.

Sure, I understand that what comes around goes around....hey - as Henry Hill so eloquently put it - "everybody takes a beating sometime".

on a mission
All Conference

Post by on a mission »

I have absolutely no problem with a team scoring late,if a kid breaks a long run,but to punch it in from a couple of yards out with a few secs remaining I personally don't agree with.THE ONLY REASON I HAVE EVEN COMMENTED ON THIS IS I KNOW IT WAS SAID TO YOU THAT I SAID THIS.YOU KNOW ME,AND I WILL NEVER RUN FROM MY WORDS.I DID SAY IT,I DO BELIEVE IT,BUT YOU ARE GETTING MY HONEST OPINION WHEN OTHERS SAY IT BUT WON'T BACK IT UP!GOOD LUCK THE REST OF THE SEASON MY FRIEND! :)

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

Pocket Aces wrote:This isn't Tim Tebow (or Alex Bare) throwing with a minute to go to tack on BCS style points (and/or cover the spread).

So you're saying there are point spreads on these JH games? I need a new bookie.

I think this entire topic is a slippery slope. I have called enough games to see many examples of poor sportsmanship in this area. It's just one of those things that you can't really judge unless you see it. I personally don't like seeing those late scores but I do understand the philsophy that all the kids work hard and deserve a chance to shine. Again, I think it's impossible to judge unless one sees the game for him/herself.

hornetplayer20
Waterboy

Post by hornetplayer20 »

Coach Barret dont pick FAVORITES he playes the best 11 players to start. Thats why were 7-0

Hornet7
Freshman Team

Post by Hornet7 »

Coach Barrett knows wha he's doing,and he doesn't pick favoites.He's a very good coach.

cghornet10
JV Team

Post by cghornet10 »

on a mission wrote:I don't think of it as a mercy knee when your up by 40!I think of the kids on the other side of the ball that have played as hard as they possibly can.I think that it is humiliation and not very classy when your up by 40 and score with only a few secs on the clock.One thing that people have to remember,it comes full circle,and that group of boys won't be playing junior high ball next year.JMO,and I have nothing else to say on this subject!

haha.. an ironton fan complaining about teams running scores up :lol:

ATEAMGC
Waterboy

Post by ATEAMGC »

AMEN CG HORNET 1O

hornet533
Waterboy

Post by hornet533 »

they aint running up the scores they are justing getting a lead so the jv's does not lose it!....... :)

catch22
Riding the Bench

Post by catch22 »

I was at the Fairland game this year and it seems to me that the score was 31-0 with less than a minute to play and if my memory serves me right coal grove called not one but two timeouts so they could score ANOTHER TOUCHDOWN!!!!!! which they did and made it 37-0. oh by the way they had enough class not to go for the exta point!!!!!!!!! CLASSLES!!!!!!!!!!!!! and by the way how many kids on that team were held back?! maybe I'm wrong but I had also heard there were a couple 15 year old kids on that team. that was just hear say, not for sure to be the truth! SO DON'T SAY THEY DIDN'T RUN THE SCORE UP ON PEOPLE!!!!

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

catch22 wrote:I was at the Fairland game this year and it seems to me that the score was 31-0 with less than a minute to play and if my memory serves me right coal grove called not one but two timeouts so they could score ANOTHER TOUCHDOWN!!!!!! which they did and made it 37-0. oh by the way they had enough class not to go for the exta point!!!!!!!!! CLASSLES!!!!!!!!!!!!! and by the way how many kids on that team were held back?! maybe I'm wrong but I had also heard there were a couple 15 year old kids on that team. that was just hear say, not for sure to be the truth! SO DON'T SAY THEY DIDN'T RUN THE SCORE UP ON PEOPLE!!!!

And Fairlands high school doesn't run up scores, I mean 69 points a couple of weeks ago, whats that.

Hey kettle it's pot calling

catch22
Riding the Bench

Post by catch22 »

hey 2trap, did I say anything about Fairland not running the score up???? believe me I felt sorry for River valley that night. So don't get on here and try and put words in peoples mouth. bottom line is Coal Grove did run the score up on the our middle school and that is what this thread was trying to deny!!

GDawghornetfan
Riding the Bench

Post by GDawghornetfan »

I'm a Fairland alumni but I'm a Hornet dad and didn't have any of my kids playing. But I do think it was wrong to call that last timeout.I don't know if a player called timeout or a coach,if it was a player I kind of understand but if was the coach it was wrong for sure.

ATEAMGC
Waterboy

Post by ATEAMGC »

WHY DO YOU PEOPLE DOG THE HORNETS FOR WHAT THEY HAVE ACCOMPLISHED???? THESE BOYS PRACTICED EVERYDAY AND YES THEY WENT UNDEFEATED AND DESERVED EVERY POINT THEY GOT IF IRONTON OR ROCK HILL WHO HAVE DONE THE SAME THING NOTHING WOULD BE SAID. SO GET OVER IT OUR BOYS HAVE ALOT TO BE PROUD OF. MY SON IS PART OF THE THE LINE THAT PEOPLE HAVE REFERRED TO THEM AS BIG NASTYS. FIRST IT WAS THE AGE THING AND NOW IT IS THE POINTS WHATS NEXT??????

hornets1367
Waterboy

Post by hornets1367 »

ATEAMGC wrote:WHY DO YOU PEOPLE DOG THE HORNETS FOR WHAT THEY HAVE ACCOMPLISHED???? THESE BOYS PRACTICED EVERYDAY AND YES THEY WENT UNDEFEATED AND DESERVED EVERY POINT THEY GOT IF IRONTON OR ROCK HILL WHO HAVE DONE THE SAME THING NOTHING WOULD BE SAID. SO GET OVER IT OUR BOYS HAVE ALOT TO BE PROUD OF. MY SON IS PART OF THE THE LINE THAT PEOPLE HAVE REFERRED TO THEM AS BIG NASTYS. FIRST IT WAS THE AGE THING AND NOW IT IS THE POINTS WHATS NEXT??????

GO BIG NASTYS!!!!! :!: :!: :!: :-D

Return to “JR High, AAU, Travel, Youth League Sports”