Holdbacks

Looking for games? Updates on travel, youth, jr high or AAU.. Post here
crazymidgets
All Conference

Re: Holdbacks

Post by crazymidgets »

My kid has never had a position taken Waverly does not hold back in the jr high for any reason some parents have tried but to no avail, lets take a look at this from both side. A) you take harsh language B) you feel the pain of your kid being hit by a older bigger kid hmmm Ive never been hurt by harsh language or my kid I'll take A, but you not having to worry about B so your whining about A, your not seeing the concern in the face of a parent when your bigger older 14- going to be 15 kid is about to hit their normal size 13 about to be 14 by the end of the yr kid so who is not seeing both sides of the story here, I said on a case by case issue some kids should be held back grades, maturity, not athletics. I see the other side
Fairness school used to be the last bastion of protection for the kids they werent supposed to have to worry about lifes unfairness until they got out into the workforce which over the 12 grades we are supposed to prepare them.
Yeah I see your side fine, is it right nope, but I think you need to be thankfull you dont see side B and understand that. And nope you could never sell me anything with that speel

pleasanttiger
SEO

Post by pleasanttiger »

I can say from my experience that we held our oldest back when he was in the 6th grade do to emotional and physical maturity. He is now a sophmore and turned 16 in june before his sophmore year. It has been one of the best decsions we have ever made for him. He was very immature for his age and the class he was in were physically "a bunch of studs". He played sports with them and hung out with them for many years but in the 6th grade we decided it was time. I won't say that sports NEVER came into our discussions about this but it was NEVER ever close to being a deciding factor. He made and still makes good grades but just needed that extra year for maturity reasons. He would have needed that if he was playing in the band or running cross country or anything else offered . It's not always about sports ,there are many other factors that come into play.

curiousgeorge
Waterboy

Post by curiousgeorge »

I do realize that the topic is about "holdbacks" but CrazyMidget is the one who mentioned that her 12 yr. old is smaller and having to go up against kids that are larger. She mentioned size. Does she know for a fact just how old these so-called larger kids really are or is it unfairly speculated because they are larger that they must be 15 years old? That I guess would be more of my point. 86Tiger said it well enough about her child. He was held back but who really knows how athletic a kid is in first grade anyway? The same as you feel about your "normal, average size" twelve year old so does the parent of their "abnormal, not so average" twelve year old. That person may not feel comfortable about their large son being out there against the small kids but is it fair to tell him he can't play sports with his own age group because he is too big to play with them but not old enough to play with the bigger kids? Just Curious!

crazymidgets
All Conference

Post by crazymidgets »

Nope never said I had a 12 yr old who was smaller said I have a normal kid who is in the 8th grade and said the coach for a certain football team said he had a team full of 15 yr olds, and if you will read you will see Im just as concerned for not only my boy who now jr high football is over and dont have to worry about him but the kids who are coming up who are like him who is the normal age for a jr high kid and will not be held back for athletic reasons.
And as for the boy who is large for his age his body still has the sme growth plates and will go through puberty at probably the same time as any other kid so he is just as at risk as the normal sized kid going up against more physicly mature older kids, and if I didnt know for sure about the age of a kid I wouldnt say anything because I understand some kids are just going to be bigger especially if I see his parents who would probably also be bigger people. So miss curious i dont have a problem with large kids who are age correct Im rooting for your boy too.
But when I see kids playing 3 yrs of jr high sports and I know what the reason is because the kids get good grades and are already mature because I personally know them thats when it turns into a problem safety wise for the other kids and that is why I feel holding back for athletic reasons in jr high is wrong and should not be allowed its not just for my kid but for all the kids. Again these seperations of children were done for a reason and this wasnt my idea the school systems were set up way before me, I just happen to be one of the parents to still feel this seperation was correct and now we see some parents abuse the system just so their kid can excel in sports and I dont agree with it. And if this wasnt allowed then your kid would not be hearing he's to old because everybody would know that this isnt allowed in jr high sports.
its always easy to know who is to old especially if your kid plays baseball cause that older kid will not be playing little league with your son and you will know who is big for their age cause you see that kid playing as a 12 yr old with your boy. So miss curious george I hope this clears up my stance on this and if your kid is age correct you should probably be rooting for the system to work as well.

Pocket Aces
S

Post by Pocket Aces »

No parent owes ANYBODY an explanation for why they held their child back.

As I alluded to earlier, those who have held their children back are lucky for the extra time that get to influence their child's behavior.

I've yet to meet anyone who looked back upon their decision with regret.

Flashing Cursor
Freshman Team

Post by Flashing Cursor »

Pocket Aces wrote:No parent owes ANYBODY an explanation for why they held their child back.

As I alluded to earlier, those who have held their children back are lucky for the extra time that get to influence their child's behavior.

I've yet to meet anyone who looked back upon their decision with regret.

Ahhh... The voice of reason amidst the cry's of foul. I agree fully, it is a parental decision and I doubt any take it lightly. The district's have the obligation to the parent (ie.. Taxpayer) not the parent to the district.

crazymidgets
All Conference

Post by crazymidgets »

seriously now why would they regret being the biggest and oldest in their class lol you guys kill me, you dont even care about the other kids this is impacting unreal. but dont put up a post like this if you want sympathy crying foul I cant take the harsh freaking language.

footballfan49
Riding the Bench

Post by footballfan49 »

parent's decision, nobody elses business

PaiN TraiN
Waterboy

Post by PaiN TraiN »

The parents should hold them back in kindergarden insted of 8th grade like the piketon kids.

pcohio
Varsity

Post by pcohio »

Many people of touched on it, but to me the issue lies around WHEN a child was held back...
If a child is held back early in their school life, then that is by all means a parent's choice, but to hold a kid back in the 6th, 7th or 8th grade seems a little late to me!
If a kid is not getting the grades, that is what tutors, summer school, etc. are for!
If a kid is being held back (in jh) because he is not physically mature enough, then I would have to disagree with this practice...Size doesn't matter in ACADEMICS! The only reason for this excuse would be sports!

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

PocketAces has it 100% right, it is the parent's decision 100% and it is nobody's business, why or when.

As for crazymidgets, it is hard to understand your posts without correct punctuation, but the part about the effect on "other kids this is impacting" is irrelevant to the parents doing the holding back. Their own kids are the important ones. If that statement by crazymidgets was in regards to the posters who support or feel it is the parent's decision to hold back their child, again who cares. They are just expressing their support to parents who are the decision makers in this area but in the long run, again it is the parents that must make the decision.

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

pcohio wrote:Many people of touched on it, but to me the issue lies around WHEN a child was held back...
If a child is held back early in their school life, then that is by all means a parent's choice, but to hold a kid back in the 6th, 7th or 8th grade seems a little late to me!

What? Holding back is holding back. No matter when it is done. That statement is very wishy-washy. It is easy to sit back and make justifications but have the conviction to make a decision either yea or nay.

pcohio wrote:If a kid is not getting the grades, that is what tutors, summer school, etc. are for!

Really? Tutors aren't free. What about the ones that cannot afford a tutor? Not all schools have summer school and from what I've seen summer school is just a time filler. It seems no real is learning going on and it is a joke to think a student can learn a whole year's information in a couple hours a day for 3 or 4 weeks.

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

This topic brings something to mind.

Pringles105
Freshman Team

Post by Pringles105 »

I definitly agree there should be a age limit

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

There are age limits. Each state association sets the limit. As long as the child is age appropriate, I don't know why it's any big deal.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

blindwhitehat, yes there are limits. You cannot be 15 before August of your 8th grade year. We had an 8th grader several years back that played freshman football while still in the 8th grade.

A student right now in the 8th grade could be anywhere from 13 years old to 15 years old. My son was born on November 18th and he will go to kindergarten when he is 5 and turns 6. His senior year if nothing happens he will turn 18 in November. That means he will be 13 turning 14 in 8th grade. He could start a year later but he is mature both physicall, mentally and emotionally for his age as of now. If something happens along his school career, me and his mother will make that decision when it comes.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

^^^^^^^^ explain how, it is a rule that has guidelines. I can see not agreeing with them, but calling them a joke because?

Pringles105
Freshman Team

Post by Pringles105 »

15 aint a big deal considering its only a couple years older but i am glad for the age limit because we wouldnt want 17 year olds playin

osumufan
SE

Post by osumufan »

You could essentially have a kid who is 33-34 months older which is a big difference but this is what is allowed. I don't agree with the holdbacks when a kid is in middle school and being able to play 3 years of middle school but it does happen. No use crying over it. If your kid is small and might get hurt then don't let them play it is the only safe bet. If your kid is huge and people say rude comments get over it people are mean. Lessons learned life is not fair and someone, somewhere will always have something dumb to say. Let it go already!

Return to “JR High, AAU, Travel, Youth League Sports”