any results from south webster biddy tournament?

Looking for games? Updates on travel, youth, jr high or AAU.. Post here
SouthernohioSB
Freshman Team

any results from south webster biddy tournament?

Post by SouthernohioSB »

Any scores or who won the tournament?

sports mom
Waterboy

Re: any results from south webster biddy tournament?

Post by sports mom »

6th grade girls results:

South Webster 3-0 beat West 22-16, Rock Hill, and Coal Grove 25-23 OT
Portsmouth 3-0 beat Valley 31-30, Minford 30-10, and McKell 38-27
Valley 2-1 lost to Portsmouth 30-31, beat West 26-20, and beat Wheelersburg
Mckell 1-1 beat Gallipolis 29-0 and lost to Portsmouth 27-38
Coal Grove 1-1 beat Wheelersburg 22-20 and lost to South Webster 23-25 OT
Rock Hill 0-1 lost to South Webster
Minford 0-1 lost to Portsmouth 10-30
Wheelersburg 0-2 lost to Coal Grove 20-22 and Valley
West 0-2 lost to South Webster 16-22 and Valley 20-26

Winners bracket championship- Portsmouth vs. South Webster Sunday @ 3:15PM

bucknut 23
Varsity

Post by bucknut 23 »

Sounds like a very competitive tournament with a lot of close games.

Can See All
Riding the Bench

Post by Can See All »

I know Green's second grade boys dominated the two teams they played, but I don't like the coaching style. This man was on the two refs through the whole game (Both whom were high school boys who came in not expecting to ref). Now I pretty much think everyone can agree when I say that you have to let some calls go in a second grade biddy ball game. Otherwise you would get nowhere. Every possesion would be a travel/double dribble. (*I left at halftime of this game so I do not know if this kept up the second half)

Another issue, (which I did not see personally, only heard about) was that some of Valley's second grade parents were actually standing up and pointing at the refs? First off these high school kids where thrown into that situation, the actual refferees did not show up. Second it's second grade basketball. No offense but I don't think you're going to spot any college recruits in the stands watching your son/daughter play just yet.

SouthernohioSB
Freshman Team

Post by SouthernohioSB »

Did Valley and Portmouth girls play against each other in the opening round? If they did the two best teams played each other in the first round. When these girls were in the 4th grade Valley or Portsmouth usually won the tournament they entered.

dei227
Waterboy

Post by dei227 »

Sportsmom, any more updates on the tourney ?

What does Minford and McKell have ? (5-6th Girls) We got them coming up in the league. 8)

salemcat
JV Team

Post by salemcat »

Probably the most unorganized poorly run tournament I have ever seen. Teams were told they would be playing at a certain time only to have that time changed not once, but several times.

High school boys calling a game that they had no business officiating. Let them officiate a 2nd grade game, but many of these 4th grade teams have an idea about how to play....DON'T let it get out of control like today. I seen some of the worst calls I had ever seen. We had a boy go for a shot and we heard a loud smack on his hand---no foul. Going the other way my son blocks the shot with a distinct sound of the ball getting hit---foul. Another boy gets mauled from behind waiting for a pass, and he gets called for the foul----How is that a foul? Our big man is having his arm held each and every time down the floor, and we point it out to the ref with no call ever being made. Guys I know you do not have football at your school, but if that was done in football that is a 10 yard penalty for holding. I am sorry, but the as I said in another post kids will only know the correct way to play the game if every call is made. This may slow the game down, but at least the kids learn from their mistakes.

I know several teams that are upset who have voiced their opinion that they will not be back including us. What a joke!!!!

sports mom
Waterboy

Post by sports mom »

6th grade girls update:

Portsmouth beat South Webster 39-25. Portsmouth in championship tomorrow at 7:45 PM. They will have to be beaten twice.
McKell beat Valley 36-28. Valley out.
Minford beat Gallipolis 40-15. Gallipolis out.
Rock Hill withdrew.
Minford and Coal Grove were playing when I left.
McKell waiting on winner.
South Webster then waiting on that winner.
Portsmouth waiting on winner from the South Webster game.

McKell is very fast and athletic.

luv of the game
Waterboy

Post by luv of the game »

Minford 6th grade boys finished 2nd to Valley. Trny was a mess...all lucky to get out alive! Congrats to Valley and Minford!

**Piketon was a no show**

sticks
Waterboy

Post by sticks »

It was a poorly run tournament. Many, many teams were told they were going to play at a certain time, and didn't play until hours later or not at all. I never saw the brackets posted, but another parent told me the brackets were finally posted today - for whatever good that did because the tournament was basically over with. It had a lot of good competition, but like I said, not run well at all.

SouthernohioSB
Freshman Team

Post by SouthernohioSB »

Sounds like the tournament was run like it was last year. Our team was in it last year and the same thing happened. Told we were playing at one time then when we got there told we were playing later. Then one team was not there so told to warm-up to play. Right when we were getting ready to start told the other team was there and had to wait. No registered officials. Two guys who had no idea how to call a game. Only had something like 3 fouls called all game. Someone was going to get hurt. I heard the person running the tournament this year quit in the middle of the tournament. Is this true?

ohiosportsmom
Riding the Bench

Post by ohiosportsmom »

Minford 5th grade girls beat Symmes Valley twice today to take first place for girls 5th grade. First game double overtime, second game overtime too! Very well matched up. I agree very poorly run tournament.

basketballparent
Freshman Team

Post by basketballparent »

The high school boys who were officiating, didn't want to do it in the first place!!! They were told to do it from the powers that be!!! Give them a break! They are not licensed officials! The last thing they want to do is get on here and read this negative stuff about how bad they did. At least give them a thumbs up for stepping up and TRYING. It was not their fault that refs didn't show up that were scheduled. These kids worked from early morning till late at night on this tournament. The man that was supposed to be running the tournament QUIT the second day of it. The high school girls and boys JV and Varsity teams stepped up and done the very best they could under the circumstances. It is sad that you want to bash high school kids for doing the best that they could possibly do!

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

This thread is just amazing. I assume most of these people are adults who are bashing high school kids for poorly officiating youth basketball games. First of all, the most experienced official has a hard time calling these games because the quality of play is so poor. That is not an insult to the kids, that's just the way it is because they are so young and still learning the game. I applaud these high school kids for having the guts to show up and help and then having the nerve to call a game.

Most of these tourneys are poorly run for two reasons. First of all, a tourney is run just to make money. In that case, the people don't care about the quality of the tourney, they just want profits. That is why you end up with volunteer officials instead of licensed officials. The second reason tourneys are run is to prove how great our team is against outside competition. Either way, most don't get enough people to volunteer in order to run them properly. Everyone always says they'll help until it's time to show up, then people always have other plans. It always leaves all the work on one or two people and the people that are shamed or forced into working.

Probably the funniest thing posted are those who say "it was just as bad as last year." If it was so bad last year, why in the hell did you come back? If you are just looking for your kids to play, then expect it to be a poorly run event and take your kids for pizza afterwards, thankful for the opportunity to play some basketball. If you think you're going to enter the tourney to win it, expect to be frustrated and disappointed when it's all said and done. That's usually how the parents see things when it's over.

Ryanexpress
Varsity
Location: Being yelled at by hundreds of fans on any given night

Post by Ryanexpress »

I was one of the licensed officials that called 10 seperate games over the weekend.

I must say that these high school students boys & girls should all be given credit for stepping up & helping out on their own time....As stated before, it was not like they wanted to do the officiating job....They were drafted into it.
With that being said, it was also not because officials did not show up....Everyone may have been told that, but the truth is that it was because the person directing the tournament did not schedule the proper amount of officials...

The scheduling of everything turned out awful for everyone involved....We all set for extra hours that we should have never had to set thru....

I hope that if they plan to do this again next year that they will find someone who actually wants to take the time & involvement & do it properly.

They had some really good teams & some really good games it would have been nice to see things ran more smoothly.

Also credit should be given to the persons who stepped up after the tournament director left on Saturday. They were left with brackets that made no sense. Not enough officials scheduled, ect. But they stepped in & at least gave the effort to get the tournament under control & get it finished up.

basketballparent
Freshman Team

Post by basketballparent »

Ryanexpress wrote:As stated before, it was not like they wanted to do the officiating job....They were drafted into it.
With that being said, it was also not because officials did not show up....Everyone may have been told that, but the truth is that it was because the person directing the tournament did not schedule the proper amount of officials...

Thank you Ryanexpress for clearing that up about not enough officials scheduled. And also thanks for taking up for those kids that were put into this situation also. These kids were worn out, hadn't been home in hours and hours, hadn't eaten anything other than what was offered at the concessions. They tried their best!!! Thanks for noticing.

sports23432
Riding the Bench

Post by sports23432 »

This was the worst thing I have ever witnessed...
We set for 5 hours and never played a game. Our girls were worn out from shooting around waiting for nothing. If we are ever scheduled for a tournament there again....which I doubt....I will not be attending.

SouthernohioSB
Freshman Team

Post by SouthernohioSB »

Blind white hat I was the one who said it sounded like it was run last year. Our team did not go to this tournament because of the way it was run last year. Waiting several hours to play should not happen. The guys they had officiating last year were not high school kids. They just would not blow their whistles. My concern was for the safety of the kids. There were several hard fouls from both teams during our game last year and only around three fouls called the whole game.

youngredmen
Riding the Bench

Post by youngredmen »

WE JUST HAD TOURN. AT ROCK HILL IT WAS A GREAT TIME GOOD GAMES AND ALOT OF GOOD TEAMS I PAID FOR OFFICIALS THAT MEANS LESS MONEY BUT IN THE LONG RUN LESS TROUBLE WE ARE PLANING ANOTHER ONE IN FEB. SO KEEP US IN MIND THANKS .

rockfish
Riding the Bench

Post by rockfish »

youngredmen wrote:WE JUST HAD TOURN. AT ROCK HILL IT WAS A GREAT TIME GOOD GAMES AND ALOT OF GOOD TEAMS I PAID FOR OFFICIALS THAT MEANS LESS MONEY BUT IN THE LONG RUN LESS TROUBLE WE ARE PLANING ANOTHER ONE IN FEB. SO KEEP US IN MIND THANKS .

Your right it is worth the extra money and a lot less head ache.
Do you happen to know what part of Febuary your tournament will be?
I think the kids that stepped in should get a little credit and not be put down.I'm sure that some of the parents would have been welcome to jump in there.

Return to “JR High, AAU, Travel, Youth League Sports”