Scioto County Youth Soccer

Looking for games? Updates on travel, youth, jr high or AAU.. Post here
jeepmadness
JV Team

Re: Scioto County Youth Soccer

Post by jeepmadness »

Sw b did not have 13 year olds on the team. They only lost 2 kids and they both turned 12 this year. Only had to "forfeit" the first 2 games even though no one has said officially. Not even sure if there is an "officially" in this league. Records don't matter because you don't play everyone. Sw b would like to play the other sw team but didn't get scheduled that way. And swb doesn't play either minford team. So just so everyone knows, swb didn't have any 13 year olds on the team.

JeepsFan4Ever
Waterboy

Post by JeepsFan4Ever »

Yes, you are absolutely right jeepmadness. SW B had two 12 year olds (both 6th graders), that is it. I know one of them turned 12 at the end of May, not sure on the other one. I think it would be great to see a rematch of the Burg game, in all fairness.

Redsfan
Freshman Team

Post by Redsfan »

Why did Webster have 2 players that were over the age limit?? Was the cut off date not known?

JeepsFan4Ever
Waterboy

Post by JeepsFan4Ever »

RedsFan wrote:Why did Webster have 2 players that were over the age limit?? Was the cut off date not known?
From what I understand, the same thing happened at Burg. I do not know whether the cut-off date was known or not.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

JeepsFan4Ever wrote:
RedsFan wrote:Why did Webster have 2 players that were over the age limit?? Was the cut off date not known?
From what I understand, the same thing happened at Burg. I do not know whether the cut-off date was known or not.
There have been no changes to rosters at Burg due to kids being in the wrong age group. The cut off date has been the same for several years.

Tripleplay
Freshman Team

Post by Tripleplay »

From what I understand with the SW U12 teams is that a total of 5 kids (2 from one team, and 3 from the other) were to old. New people have taken over this year (thank goodness) and was told the cutoff date was 7/31. So for u12, they understood the rule to mean "as long as not 13 before 8/1, you can play U12". Basically it sounds like it was a misunderstanding of the rule. Example: Baseball has 12U, 11U, ect.... so they thought 12 and under played for U12. Why use the # 12 if 12's can't play? Just call it 11 and under. But it is soccer, a game that can be played for over an hour and each team can go home with a 0-0 tie!

I say it was an honest mistake considering those that run the webster league are very good, honest people. The problems were fixed. Maybe in the future the county league president could make copies of each teams roster with birthdates, and give each team a copy. Each coach has to carry a copy of birth certificates, right? So if someone wants to see a birth date at the game, they can compare the roster page with birth certificate. Just a suggestion. Since this mistake wasn't caught in webster, the league president should have reviewed it and noticed. If each coach has a roster/birthdate of each team, then they could help the prez review each teams player age. Over a month passed before this mistake was caught.

I'm sure this isn't the first time this has happened, nor will it be the last. Some cheat, some make mistakes, some misunderstand rules, but it does happen. My boys have played U12 in the past, and there are some BIG 11 year olds that have been on the field. Hmmm, makes me wonder!

As far as the U12 webster teams, I've been talking to friends and parents who say they have a good group of kids playing with alot of numbers. Heard they play at home this weekend, so I might have to walk over and see a game or two. I know the SW u15 plays Minford this weekend, and I've been told the Minford team is really good.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

SW does have some nice players and their numbers are very good. It is a good thing that new people are running the league and seem to have things heading in the right direction. As much as I enjoy high school football, SW is lucky to not lose kids each year to the pee wee or jr. high football program. Burg's soccer numbers dwindle a lot as soon as the kids hit 5th grade.

I also believe it was an honest mistake, but the position of the "U" makes a big difference in the meaning of an age group

U12 = under 12
12U = 12 and under

Tripleplay
Freshman Team

Post by Tripleplay »

Like many people, you hear the 12 and think it would include that age. But you are right, the position of the "u" changes it. Oh well, all is fixed!

Good luck to all this weekend, looks like more nice weather.

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

U12 B Wheelersburg 0 Portsmouth 0

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Burg U12 A 6-0 over Minford B

GreenGrass
Freshman Team

Post by GreenGrass »

Minford U15 B tied South Webster 2-2

Hitops2.0
Varsity

Post by Hitops2.0 »

valley u15 over northwest u15 Saturday 6 - 0 at northwest

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

What organizations guidelines are used to determine age? I looked online and found an age chart for USAClub Soccer and the cutoff is 7/31 and it didn't matter where the "U" was placed. U12 was for kids 11 and 12. U10 was for kids 9 and 10. Is there another organizations set of guidelines that are being used for this league?

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

BlindWhiteHat wrote:What organizations guidelines are used to determine age? I looked online and found an age chart for USAClub Soccer and the cutoff is 7/31 and it didn't matter where the "U" was placed. U12 was for kids 11 and 12. U10 was for kids 9 and 10. Is there another organizations set of guidelines that are being used for this league?
I believe this is the chart you were looking at, if I Googled the same one you did.
http://www.usclubsoccer.org/Files/AgeGr ... t09-10.pdf
Notice that this is actually the chart for last year, not the one for 2010-2011 (note the registration year under the logo). By looking at the chart, the birth months for a U12 player are shown as Aug.97 - July 98. By this chart being a year old, that would make the current year birth months for a U12 player being from Aug.98 - July 99. This means a player born on July 31, 1998 (or before) would be 12 years old by the cut-off date of July 31, 2010. A player with this birth date would be considered a U15 player by Scioto Co. because all U13-U15 are combined.

Hope this helps....

Tripleplay
Freshman Team

Post by Tripleplay »

The whole age thing is confusing to the average parent because they see the age U12 and they think that a 12 year old kid would play in that division. Technically they can, but only if they turned 12 after 7/31.

While on the same subject, why does the National Little League Baseball/Softball Association have 2 different dates for softball and baseball. Both sports play during the same time, yet the girls cutoff date is 12/31 and the boys is 4/30. Is it because girls mature faster than boys? lol Never understood why they don't use the same date.

salemcat
JV Team

Post by salemcat »

GreenGrass wrote:Minford U15 B tied South Webster 2-2
If only the 11 year old goalie for Minford had a few more inches in height he would have stopped the first goal for SW. maybe we can have someone grab his arms while another person grabs his legs, and we can stretch him out a few inches.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Burg U12A 6-0 over Portsmouth to remain unbeaten!
Burg U12C 4-1 over Valley
Burg U15 3-0 over Eastern
Burg U10A 4-2 over West B
Last edited by 4thgoal on Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

jeepmadness wrote:Sw b did not have 13 year olds on the team. They only lost 2 kids and they both turned 12 this year. Only had to "forfeit" the first 2 games even though no one has said officially. Not even sure if there is an "officially" in this league. Records don't matter because you don't play everyone. Sw b would like to play the other sw team but didn't get scheduled that way. And swb doesn't play either minford team. So just so everyone knows, swb didn't have any 13 year olds on the team.
What's wrong with making a date and both of the SW team play each other!

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

a_c_m wrote:
jeepmadness wrote:Sw b did not have 13 year olds on the team. They only lost 2 kids and they both turned 12 this year. Only had to "forfeit" the first 2 games even though no one has said officially. Not even sure if there is an "officially" in this league. Records don't matter because you don't play everyone. Sw b would like to play the other sw team but didn't get scheduled that way. And swb doesn't play either minford team. So just so everyone knows, swb didn't have any 13 year olds on the team.
What's wrong with making a date and both of the SW team play each other!
And I am sure you could arrange a game with one of the Minford teams too.

pcohio
Varsity

Post by pcohio »

I hope to see a lot of these kids playing Futsal at the Pike County YMCA! Please visit the link below for further information!

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=75204

Return to “JR High, AAU, Travel, Youth League Sports”