Waterboy

The Clay Panthers Boys-Girls

Post by Cuppy »

Any Thoughts?

Jake Lane
JV Team

Re: The Clay Panthers Boys-Girls

Post by Jake Lane »

Girls haven't been tested yet, 7th grade boys got a gut check win playing with only 6 players at East in a very warm gym. The game came down to foul shots, and ball handling. Clay 8th grade boys just haven't "got it" yet. After a physical win against Western, (that group's first in Jr. high) they seem to be a step slow mentally. I like their coach and how he handles the boys though, he plays them all in crucial times to ready them for the next level. Go Panthers!

buddy
Waterboy

Post by buddy »

Coach Compton done a good job with the 7th grade boys against East. They only had 6 players because someone didnt practice. The boy knows now he only hurts the team when he doesnt show forpractice. I liked the fact Coach Compton did not play him evan if it might cost the team a victory. He showed rules come first and didnt play the boy in order to win.

Its a good thing 4 of the players ran cross country to be able to play a full game with only 6-7 players on the team when it seems everbody else has app 9-10 boys playing so far after 3 games. It hurts that the boys have to play 4 quarters because of the numbers and its hard to help the 8th grade team as they only have 1 quarter and there are 2-3 7th grade players who could help. Both teams are playing hard which will only help in the future.

Jake Lane
JV Team

Post by Jake Lane »

I agree about them playing hard buddy, maybe too hard some times with all the fouls. I hope to make it to a few more games this year. How do the boys do in practice? The 8th grade sometimes seem a little lost on the court, but I guess the talent is down at that level. As far as the 7th grade, is 7 all they kept? Why so few? You would think a coach would want at least 10 players for practice, especially with a good team. Also I heard that the 8th grade win against Western was their first since pee wee, true?

Snowman
Freshman Team

Post by Snowman »

You can't keep more than 7 players if more than 7 do not come out for tryouts.

Yes, I was also told the 8th grade win against Western was this groups first as a team since...the person telling me was not sure if they won any in biddy ball.

The girsl only have 13 total (six 8th graders and seven 7th graders).

Jake Lane
JV Team

Post by Jake Lane »

I just got off the phone with a friend who said the 8th grade team won 1 game in pee wee ball. The coach of the now 7th grade boys had to sit out the starters in the 4th quarter so the other boys all got their 6 minutes in, and they lost in the final seconds. It's hard to believe only 7 boys on that team tried out. The 8th grade doesn't have many more, how many boys do they have in Jr. high? I know about the girls, same story I guess. Just a shame there isn't any more interest in sports than there is at Clay.

Snowman
Freshman Team

Post by Snowman »

From what I have been told, there is interest. If there wasn;t then there wouldnt be 7 playing. However I do think it hurts when last years teams were not as successful as in the past. Besides I think each class has only about 40 kids. If half are girls then there are only a average of 20 total boys in each class. I doubt if any school in the area can say they have 1/3 or more of there boys playing a particular sport. The dilemna of small schools!

Jake Lane
JV Team

Post by Jake Lane »

Good point snowman, I had no idea the classes were that small. How do you think the teams will compete with the bigger schools come tournament time?

Jake Lane
JV Team

Post by Jake Lane »

ttt

buddy
Waterboy

Post by buddy »

There are less than 20 boys in the 7th grade class most of the students are girls. It is true the 8th grade class won 1 game in biddy ball as they beat the clay 5th grade. They wouldnt have won that 1 game if everybody didnt have to play and the 5th grade lost in the last 2 minutes because of it.

They will have a good team when the classes combine in a couple of years with the 7th and 8th grades. Another problem is the boys know they will not be cut because of the low numbers and some do not do much to get ready for basketball and dont come to conditioning and open gym and they hurt the team when the season starts because they are not in anykind of shape. Thats why it will take couple years to get different conbinations.

They are doing a good job playing bigger schools. Also lost some to other schools such as minfor and notre dame and burg if those boys stayed they would be a lot better team with what they do have now

Jake Lane
JV Team

Post by Jake Lane »

Who did they lose? Was it because coach Richards left?

buddy
Waterboy

Post by buddy »

Ben Arnold left for the burg to play sports because they were good. He was the leading scorer for the team. Also Adam Cooper went to notre dame last year then transferred to Minford this year. Both would have played for the teams this year.

Jake Lane
JV Team

Post by Jake Lane »

I've heard of the Arnold kid, but not Cooper. Do you think they left because coach Richards left?

buddy
Waterboy

Post by buddy »

No nothing involving Coach Richards. Heard Arnold wanted to play on a winner and try other sports such as football. Heard he was not a starter on any team at burg, someone said he was not even going to play football next year dont know anything about him for sure

Cooper just thought clay didnt have any good players and would loose all their games. He thought hewas much better player and looks like he is just transferring around the county. Dont know if he starts or not. He is a good athlete but dont think he is exceptional or that much better than some of the 7th graders at clay now.

Dont know all the reasons just talk from people around the schools and gyms during games. Clay doesntplay minford or burg so cant see them play any sports to see first hand how they are doing.

Jake Lane
JV Team

Post by Jake Lane »

Thanks buddy, but doesn't all the county teams play at Webster in the tournament, big or small school?

buddy
Waterboy

Post by buddy »

Dont know but clay plays soc1 schedule 14 games and have 2 games with south webster. Dont know a thing about tournament at south webster. I remember last year clay 7-8th grade teams seated last and they were 8th so dont know how that works who plays who.

From all the posts sounds like burg,minford and west should be the only teams to show up anyway except for ironton and peebles? who knows when it comes to basketball thats why they play thegame.

sportsfan9572
Freshman Team

Post by sportsfan9572 »

How about the 7th grade girls?????? How are they doing????? Can't think of any team beating them.

countyhobo
Riding the Bench

Post by countyhobo »

Cooper left Clay Because of disagreement with the school. They left Notre Dame for Minford because of the cost,and he wants to play baseball for Coach Martin. Buddy if you want to see both Ben and cooper go toMinford 1-5 at 5pm and watch.

Jake Lane
JV Team

Post by Jake Lane »

7th grade girls are tough! They're not your usual rah rah types. They play fast, and hard. As far as the boys, I find it hard to believe that a 14-15 year old made all these decisions to go from school to school, then decides he wants to play for a coach at another school. Sounds like the father living his boy's life. Granted he probably went to better talented teams, but I don't buy the "disagreement" excuse, maybe the financial excuse. But what's next year going to bring? I might go watch the Minford-Burg game on 1/5 hobo. I'll be the extremely handsome fat guy wearing the blue Clay hat. (HA HA) Also buddy, something else from that tournament last year, Clay's 8th grade had more wins (3) than Northwest,(2, look it up) and tied with another school (I can't remember who right now) but was placed 8th seed. I REALLY don't get that one.

buddy
Waterboy

Post by buddy »

I agree clay seems to get the short end of the stick at all levels. It worse latter on because all coaches get together and look out for their league. It happens in volleyball and basketball a lot when records are worse or even close. Clay will just have to beat whoever they get stuck with.

;;;;;;your physical description will fit a lot of people only the clay hat may pick you out ha

Return to “JR High, AAU, Travel, Youth League Sports”