Porthsmouth Junior High Shootout - July 23-24

Looking for games? Updates on travel, youth, jr high or AAU.. Post here
Coach Rhea
Waterboy

Porthsmouth Junior High Shootout - July 23-24

Post by Coach Rhea »

The Portsmouth High School boys basketball program will be hosting a 7th and 8th grade boys junior high shoot out in July.

*Portsmouth Junior High Shootout - July 23-24 (Friday and Saturday)
*Cost: $100.00 per team - guaranteed 4 games (Possible pool play on Friday with tournament on Saturday)
*Games will be officiated by licensed officals.
*All teams are welcome.
*All teams must have players with the same school affiliation.

If you have questions or would like to register a team please contact Coach Rhea at (740)-353-8717 or shane.rhea@portsmouthtrojans.net.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Re: Porthsmouth Junior High Shootout - July 23-24

Post by trojandave »

Talked to Coach Rhea the other day and if my memory serves me correct, there are about 6-7 teams that have signed up........mostly local schools. Play will begin Friday evening on the 23rd, while on the 24th play will start in the morning and last most of the day. The PJHS gym and the PHS varsity gym will be used.

lumag13
Waterboy

Post by lumag13 »

I talked to Coach Rhea and they are still accepting teams.

CoachC
Freshman Team

Post by CoachC »

Clay has 1 team entered, (combination of 7th & 8th) but can't be there on Friday night. We definitely will be there on Saturday though. Has anyone heard when the meeting will be?

knowledge
All Conference

Post by knowledge »

Just left Shane a message, looking forward to a solid weekend of basketball.

Coach Rhea
Waterboy

Post by Coach Rhea »

The Portsmouth Junior High Shootout will be held at the high school gym on July 23 -24.
Each team will play two games on Friday and then a double elimination tournament on Saturday. Team will be seeded for tournament based on a combination of points given up in two games on Friday. The lower the number of points a team gives up, the higher they will be seeded in tournament bracket. Come ready to play defense.

**We will still accept teams. Call Coach Rhea by Thursday. (740)-353-8717 - If no answer leave message.

- Coaches meeting at 5:45, Friday, July 23.
- Games to start around 6:00 - We will have three games going at once.
- Games will be two - 20 minute halves, running clock.
- Tentative schedule - Games at 6:00, 6:45, 7:30, 8:15.
- Saturday tournament games to start at 10:00

7th Grade teams: Hunington Ross, Notre Dame, Boyd Co. Ky., Portsmouth, Clay
8th Grade teams: Hunington Ross, Wheelersburg, Portmouth 1, Portsmouth 2, Minford

blue devil
Waterboy

Post by blue devil »

The staff at Portsmouth did a great job of running this event. The competition was pretty good at both grade levels and the games were well officiated.

Coach Rhea
Waterboy

Post by Coach Rhea »

The basketball coaching staff at Portsmouth would like to take this opprtunity to thank all of the junior high teams, coaches, and parents that participated in the Portsmouth Junior High Shootout. The event seemed to be a great success. It was nice to see many of the local head varsity coaches at the shootout watching and encouraging the younger generation of their basketball programs. (Coach Barrick- Wheelersburg, Coach Collins - Portsmouth, Coach Mader - Notre Dame, Coach Shoemaker - Minford, Coach Trainer - Clay) We are looking forward to making this a yearly event, hope to see you all next year.

Double elimiation tournament winners:
7th Grade - Portsmouth
8th Grade - Wheelersburg

Tournament teams:
7th Grade - Olentangy, Portsmouth, Clay, Notre Dame, Huntington Ross, Boyd Co.
8th Grade - Portsmouth 1 & 2, Wheelerburg, Minford, Huntington Ross

Once again thank you, stay healthy, and good luck this upcoming basketball season.

Thanks,
Coach Rhea

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I attended the event on Saturday, and Coach Rhea, Coach Collins, and Coach Arnzen all did a great job in running this event smoothly........Coach Collins' wife and mother did a fine job with the concession stand........the officials did a good job as well. The attendance was very good also.......like Coach Rhea stated, quite a few varsity coaches were there which showed a genuine committment to their programs.

I saw some very good competition.........good to see the Portsmouth kids do well.......I have to think if our 8th grade was not split into 2 teams, that our kids could have won the tournament.........one kid on the Wheelersburg 8th grade that stood out to me was #23.......don't know his name, but it wouldn't surprise me to see him starting on the Burg varsity either as a freshman or sophomore.........there was another kid on the Minford 8th grade.......I think his last name was Gullion(I know he is related to the Gullion family)........he has a nice skill set.......and will see the varsity floor soon after coming to high school.

I am really encouraged to see what talent the Trojans have at this level.......with our varsity program on the upswing, and these kids coming up right behind them, we should be able to put some good varsity teams on the floor for the next 5-6 years.

wheelersburg23
Waterboy

Post by wheelersburg23 »

the number 23 kid from wheelersburg is a relation to drew spradlin

Return to “JR High, AAU, Travel, Youth League Sports”