JV Team

Anybody have their own website?

Post by oldcoachb »

Just wondering what it would cost. :12224

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Re: Anybody have their own website?

Post by kantuckyII »

Depends on the features. If you use shared hosting (and 99% of private websites are) it will run you anywhere from 45 to 200 or more a year. For private websites, usually you can get by with the lesser costing sites.

Do you want ASP? windows on Unix Hosting? how much through put and storage space? those are things that factor in.

Check out Aplus.net or webhero.com

oldcoachb
JV Team

Post by oldcoachb »

I was thinking about joining GDI. You get a ten page website and ten e-mail addresses for ten dollars a month. Then of course, if you get others to join, you make money. I was just wondering if others had a site and what they were paying. For what I need, this GDI sounds like a pretty good deal.

huedawg
JV Team

Post by huedawg »

oldcoachb wrote:Just wondering what it would cost. :12224

If you just need web hosting , I would stick with 1 & 1 hosting . They have by far, the most bang for the buck and probably the best support .
Chances are any Linux shared hosting plan( which is what about 80 % of all hosting is ) will be enough for you . Windows hosting is generally going to cost you a little bit more . If you need more information , feel free to pm and I would be glad to go into more detail if need be .
I owned and operated a fairly large hosting business ( over 15, 000 clients ) before selling out a few years back :)

huedawg
JV Team

Post by huedawg »

oldcoachb wrote:I was thinking about joining GDI. You get a ten page website and ten e-mail addresses for ten dollars a month. Then of course, if you get others to join, you make money. I was just wondering if others had a site and what they were paying. For what I need, this GDI sounds like a pretty good deal.

What/who is GDI ? The price is kind of high to be honest . :)
For that kind of money, you could get two free domain names, a web site builder ( pre -installed templates ) , 10 GB of space , 300 GB transfer ( bandwidth ) etc ... .just too much really to list . You could get that for $1.99 for 4 months , then 3.99 after that . Just something to think about .

oldcoachb
JV Team

Post by oldcoachb »

GDI is Global Domains International. You get to chose your domain names, build your own website, ten e-mail addresses and this cost you ten dollars a month. You get one dollar a month for everyone that you refer. If you refer 5 in a week you get a one hundred dollar bonus. Ten-two hundred and so on. This goes five levels deep. So I guess that is part of why the high price.

huedawg
JV Team

Post by huedawg »

oldcoachb wrote:GDI is Global Domains International. You get to chose your domain names, build your own website, ten e-mail addresses and this cost you ten dollars a month. You get one dollar a month for everyone that you refer. If you refer 5 in a week you get a one hundred dollar bonus. Ten-two hundred and so on. This goes five levels deep. So I guess that is part of why the high price.

This type of business is of the "pyramid" type nature . Ask yourself this , do you know anyone that has made real money by stuffing envelopes and sending them out ? Just something to think about .

oldcoachb
JV Team

Post by oldcoachb »

That's why I'm checking with you all to see if it's to much for the website.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

oldcoachb wrote:I was thinking about joining GDI. You get a ten page website and ten e-mail addresses for ten dollars a month. Then of course, if you get others to join, you make money. I was just wondering if others had a site and what they were paying. For what I need, this GDI sounds like a pretty good deal.

That is NOT a deal!

First, you really need to determine how much bandwidth you'll be putting through your website. How much storage space you'll need. Will you want to be adding pages that use PHP or ASP? This message board is run using PHP. You need a web host plan that offers you MySQL database(s) if you want to use PHP. Many host now will have 'one click' add on's where you can add things like a message board like this one. Those are extras, you'll sure not get those in that deal you're talking about.

If you're just wanting something that is going to be a small website like 10 pages, you'll be able to get by a LOT cheaper than 10 bucks a month. Irontonfootball.com now has well over 2,000 pages and 35,410 hyper links. I don't pay too much more than what you're talking about here

oldcoachb
JV Team

Post by oldcoachb »

Thanks for all of your help!

thecoach
Varsity

Post by thecoach »

i have never used them but i have heard that freewebs.com or zymic.com offer good FREE hosting.

Runner
SEO

Post by Runner »

I have a Freewebs site for my gaming team. It only allows for a total of 500 MB download per month on the free sites. That's not very much at all. Storage is not very high either. Its only about 50 MB if I am not mistaken. But for our needs, it serves the purpose and is very easy to navigate for the Administrators.

If you are looking for something that you want to store a lot of downloads on, where people will be downloading more than 500 MB per month, Freewebs IS NOT what you want.

Return to “The Off season”