135th Kentucky Derby- Preakness - Belmont

General Chat
caglewis
SEOP

135th Kentucky Derby- Preakness - Belmont

Post by caglewis »

http://www.kentuckyderby.com/2009/racing-information
Anyone have any special picks? There's no "super horse" being touted this year, and I just read that the favorite, I Want Revenge, has been scratched. Has anyone ever been to a Derby?
I worked with a lady a long time ago who said she had seriously planned to go to Lexington for the race one year, but was talked out of going by people who warned her of the driving/parking problems and huge crowds. I told her there wouldn't have been any problem with traffic or crowds in Lexington since Churchill Downs where the race is held is located in Louisville!
It's a chilly, rainy day in Louisville today like it is here. Not at all good for track conditions for the horses or for displays of human fashion finery. Bring on the mint juleps!!
Last edited by caglewis on Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fightingtigers45
S

Re: 135th Kentucky Derby

Post by fightingtigers45 »

Im a HUGE fan of Chocolate Candy.

Charley Hustle
SEOP

Post by Charley Hustle »

I am leaning toward Hold Me Back......ten across the board.........

Charley Hustle
SEOP

Post by Charley Hustle »

win a trip to the derby..........

Pick a horse

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

I've decided - I'm going with General Quarters

Charley Hustle
SEOP

Post by Charley Hustle »

Mine that Bird............50-1..............someone just won a ton of greenbacks..............

RiverRatRay
SEOPS HOF

Post by RiverRatRay »

I had what I considered the best jockey in Garret Gomez and the best trainer in Bob Baffert but I didn't have the best horse and that's what counts.I bet on Pioneer of the Nile and he ran second but that doesn't cut it when all my money was on him to win. The best horse in the country wasn't even in this race. Rachel Alexandra ran in the Kentucky Oaks on Friday and won by 20 lengths.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8b8lmbwVnA

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

Derby hat parade.........

The Hats

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

It was a great race

dragoncoach56
JV Team

Post by dragoncoach56 »

Did anybody make any money on this one? 50-1 wow

Charley Hustle
SEOP

Post by Charley Hustle »

dragoncoach56 wrote:Did anybody make any money on this one? 50-1 wow

only one who made money yesterday was the BOOKIE................

dragoncoach56
JV Team

Post by dragoncoach56 »

Charley Hustle wrote:

You're right there but there's always someone betting the long shot,just wondering if anyone here did?

Charley Hustle
SEOP

Post by Charley Hustle »

dragoncoach56 wrote:
Charley Hustle wrote:

You're right there but there's always someone betting the long shot,just wondering if anyone here did?

the only ones I know betting the long shots are the big money folks who dont worry about losing............but I do agree with you, someone somewhere bet on that long shot yesterday.........but not in the circles I run with...... 8)

I for sure know one who didnt win any money on that stallion yesterday........... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Gotta love the Jockies game plan in this one.

Bigboy52
All State

Post by Bigboy52 »

That was a storybook ending. I was rooting for two horses in the race. The horse that was owned by the retired principal and the horse that was trained by the guy with the broken leg. Turns out one of my horses won but too bad I didn't have a couple of hundred bucks on it.

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

It's PREAKNESS Day. Can Mine That Bird win the second leg? Those of you born since the '70's don't even remember a Triple Crown winner. We had 3 of them, Secretariat, Seattle Slew, and Affirmed in less than a decade and haven't had one since. There's a filly - Rachael something - who's supposed to be the favorite but she didn't even run in the Derby.
It's wierd - Calvin Borel, the jockey who rode MTB to the Derby win isn't riding him today, but will be aboard Rachael Alexandra, the "super" filly, instead.

85inside
S

Post by 85inside »

I'll take $20 across the board on Musket Man.

BigOrangeOne
S

Post by BigOrangeOne »

Charley Hustle wrote:I for sure know one who didnt win any money on that stallion yesterday........... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Not that it would make any difference at your age, but that "stallion" is a gelding isn't it?. :)

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

The filly, Rachel Alexandra, won the Preakness with Mine That Bird closing fast.
So there will be no Triple Crown horse winner again this year. BUT - jockey Calvin Borel has now won the first two legs of the Triple Crown on different horses!! He is so much fun to watch and listen to!
I'd really like to see another Triple Crown winner. But I also root for the "girls" - especially after the 8 Belles [sp?] tragedy last year. But Barbaro also eventually died from his injuries, as have jockeys.
I heard today that MTB's owner [the guy on crutches] placed his KY Derby winning "Blanket of Roses" over the newly erected statue of Barbaro. Because the animals and the settings are so beautiful, we forget that horse racing is so inherently dangerous to both rider and beast! Belmont next.

RiverRatRay
SEOPS HOF

Post by RiverRatRay »

Had my money on the super filly. She is the first filly since 1924 to win the Preakness. Also the first time a horse came out of the 13th spot to win. 5.60 is good money on that filly. Can't wait to see the offspring of her and Curlin.

Return to “The Off season”