Monday Night Football & Hank Williams Jr. No More

General Chat
kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Monday Night Football & Hank Williams Jr. No More

Post by kantuckyII »

ESPN pulls Williams from MNF opening
ESPN

The Hank Williams Jr. song that has opened Monday Night Football for 20 years will not be part of the opening of this week's Indianapolis-Tampa Bay game after Williams made controversial comments about President Barack Obama.

Williams compared Obama to Adolf Hitler on Fox News Channel's "Fox and Friends" show Monday morning.

ESPN, in a statement, said: "While Hank Williams, Jr. is not an ESPN employee, we recognize that he is closely linked to our company through the open to Monday Night Football. We are extremely disappointed with his comments, and as a result we have decided to pull the open from tonight's telecast."

Williams issued a statement through his publicist, saying: "Some of us have strong opinions and are often misunderstood. My analogy was extreme -- but it was to make a point. I was simply trying to explain how stupid it seemed to me -- how ludicrous that pairing was. They're polar opposites and it made no sense. They don't see eye-to-eye and never will. I have always respected the office of the president."

Williams, whose song "All My Rowdy Friends" has been the Monday Night Football theme on both ABC and ESPN since 1991, told "Fox and Friends" that he thought Speaker of the House John Boehner playing golf with President Obama "would be like Hitler playing golf with (Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin) Netanyahu ... In the shape this country is in?"

Told by anchor Brian Kilmeade that he didn't understand the analogy, Williams said: "I'm glad you don't, brother, because a lot of people do. They're the enemy." Asked who, Williams said: "Obama. And Biden. Are you kidding? The Three Stooges."

Boehner played golf with Obama in June at the height of the national budget debate in Washington D.C.

Williams, from Tennessee, has said he would run as a Republican for the U.S. Senate in 2012.

Later in the Fox interview with Williams, anchor Gretchen Carlson told Williams he used the name of one of history's most hated men to describe the President.

"Well that's true. But I'm telling you like it is," Williams said.

Williams has been critical of Obama in the past. He campaigned for Sen. John McCain and running mate Sarah Palin in 2008, even changing the words of one of his songs, "Family Tradition," to blast Obama and the Democrats for the financial crisis the country was facing prior to that year's election.

blue53
All State

Re: Monday Night Football & Hank Williams Jr. No More

Post by blue53 »

Politics are getting very polarizing lately and will continue for quite a while.
got to love hank.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Wonder who'll they'll get to do it now? It's just a shame that Tiny Tim isn't still alive! He could sing his number one hit, 'Tip Toe Through The End Zone'

Ump
Freshman Team

Post by Ump »

Prolly get them Dixie chicks. They're plenty liberal enough and get to say all they want

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Burn his records---no one should be compared to Hitler

moose
Varsity

Post by moose »

Not a big deal. Hitler's family will just have to get over it.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

i dig ole bocephus. no matter how the statement was taken.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

I guess it isn't as bad as being compared to the Hedge

blue53
All State

Post by blue53 »

what I got from it was two sides that hate each other shouldn't be seen out having fun with each other

RationalVoice
Freshman Team

Post by RationalVoice »

And you know that if some crazy liberal (sorry for being redundant there) had made a similar comment about Bush a few years ago - he'd have gotten away with it, no questions asked.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

RationalVoice wrote:And you know that if some crazy liberal (sorry for being redundant there) had made a similar comment about Bush a few years ago - he'd have gotten away with it, no questions asked.

Your right about that. The liberal media which is starting to include ESPN could take all the shots at Bush they wanted and you didnt get fired you got promoted. Now if speak out about Obama even if its true you get fired.

abuck76
SEOPS HO

Post by abuck76 »

His freedom of speech was not harmed in any way shape or form.........ESPN has the right to program what they want.........Isn't that correct , all of you so-called free marketers :roll: ?................. :12224

RationalVoice
Freshman Team

Post by RationalVoice »

He was punished for his words. In that respect, I don't know that you can say he wasn't harmed.
I agree that ESPN has the right to program what they want. But, liberals continually talk about what people have the right to do - disregarding the question, "Is it the right thing to do?".
My point was that they wouldn't have taken action had the words been directed toward Bush or some other conservative republican.

ironmen1987
SE

Post by ironmen1987 »

abuck76 wrote:His freedom of speech was not harmed in any way shape or form.........ESPN has the right to program what they want.........Isn't that correct , all of you so-called free marketers :roll: ?................. :12224
ESPN made a point to call him out on his freedom of speech and made it clear that they were changing their programming as a result. He was basically fired for his remarks. I do feel that the Hitler comment was a little much. I would've probably have chosen the Carey character in Dumb and Dumber myself...

abuck76
SEOPS HO

Post by abuck76 »

The point is his freedoms were not stopped in any way shape or form. He can espouse any view he wants , anywhere he wants , still today. ESPN made a business decision. Plain and simple.....If I own a Bible Sales Company, do I not have the right to not hire someone with a swastika tattooed to their forehead?..........Of course I have that right......Is that infringing on that individuals right to free speech, absolutely not.............. :12224

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

abuck76 wrote:The point is his freedoms were not stopped in any way shape or form. He can espouse any view he wants , anywhere he wants , still today. ESPN made a business decision. Plain and simple.....If I own a Bible Sales Company, do I not have the right to not hire someone with a swastika tattooed to their forehead?..........Of course I have that right......Is that infringing on that individuals right to free speech, absolutely not.............. :12224

Actually you not hiring the guy with the swastika is different than the Hank situation. What you are actually doing is discrimination based upon apparent racial beliefs. While Hank was fired because of words which is against his first admendment right.

Vision Quest
Freshman Team

Post by Vision Quest »

tigercannon71 wrote:
abuck76 wrote:Hank was fired because of words which is against his first admendment right.
Really? The constitutional amendment states that "Congress shall make no law......abridging the freedom of speech..." Is ESPN the government? No. Therefore, it can abridge someone's freedom of speech because they have the right to determine what is said on their private, non-governmental channel. Just as radio stations had the right to pull Dixie Chicks recordings from their stations for their anti-Bush statements years ago.

This amendment was originally Congress but has been broadened to state and local governmental agencies as well.

Sure, you might have the right to say things, but beware, not everyone has to like them and non-governmental employers don't have to just take it if you step (speak) where you shouldn't have.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

The Dixie Chicks and Hank is a totally different subject. The Dixie Chicks werent fired for things they said. The radio stations boycotted their music other stations could have played them. Its like if Pepsi put a picture of a plane hitting a building on its cans and it offended people. People would have the right to boycott Pepsi. The Dixie Chicks had a right to be heard on any station that would play their music. While Espn has taken away Hanks right to perform and work because of his words. That is taking away his freedom of speech. I mean you cant play the monday night football theme on thursdays.

abuck76
SEOPS HO

Post by abuck76 »

And Hank can go to Fox Sports and play his signature song for them on their part of the NFL t.v. games.........Hmmm, wonder why that hasn't happened yet......His freedoms have not been trampled........ooooo, I can't wait to hear all my rowdy friends on Fox Sports :roll: ............................... :12224

Chieftain
Varsity

Post by Chieftain »

Always amazed at how dumb some people are when it comes to the Constitution. While they spout off about "upholding" the Constitution, they have absolutely no understanding of the document.

Or if it doesn't meet "their" idea of whats right, they want to change the Constitution they say they revere.

This is where the Conservatives lose all credibility with voters.
Last edited by Chieftain on Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The Off season”