Anyone Else Do Any Kind Of Carvings?

General Chat
Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Anyone Else Do Any Kind Of Carvings?

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

I was just curious if anyone else on here does any kind of carvings in their spare time, whether it's from wood, stone, soap, wax, or any other material. I started out carving a few items out of wax and then I got some pieces of Ohio Pipestone from up behind Clay High School on Feurt Hill Road and started carving a few things out of that. I have collected Indian artifacts almost my entire life and I just wanted to see if I could make something from Pipestone and so far I have made a Turtle, a Buffalo, and a Toad. I just finished the Toad a couple of days ago and I think I'm going to try to do a Bear next.

The wax items I carved I used a small screwdriver to carve them with and the Pipestone pieces I used a Dremel Tool.

Here's some pictures.

These first few are the ones I did out of wax. Just a couple of alien looking creatures.

These next ones are of a Turtle I did from Pipestone.

These are the Buffalo, also from Pipestone.

And this last one is the Toad I just finished, also of Pipestone.

If anyone else does anything similar to this post some pictures for us to see. Thanks.

abuck76
SEOPS HO

Re: Anyone Else Do Any Kind Of Carvings?

Post by abuck76 »

nice frog.............. :12224

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

That's some pretty good work there 77

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

that is very cool, bg77.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Thats pretty good, The only thing im good at carving is a big ole TBONE steak. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Those are nice. You could make a little money from those.
NICE WORK!!!!!!!!

dragoncoach56
JV Team

Post by dragoncoach56 »

very nice work bg77 but I have a challenge for you. And I'll bet from your carvings you posted you are more than up to it,carve it using era style tools. I am willing to bet they would look great. Now me I'm like the other guy I can't carve anything but a Thanksgiving and Christmas turkey. Now my oldest son is an amazing artist,but refuses to sell or exhibit anything as he says he does it for enjoyment and he won't turn it into work.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Thanks to everyone for the comments on my carvings.

Dragoncoach56, I have tried to do them just like the Indians did by using flint tools to carve them out and it is possible to do, but it just way to time consuming. You have to soak the Pipestone for about 12 to 18 hours to get it to soften up enough to carve it with stone tools and then it dries out very quickly so you don't get a lot of time to carve on it before it needs soaking again. The Dremel is much quicker and easier and I just do these for fun and to see if I can actually carve them to look like what I want them to be.

dragoncoach56
JV Team

Post by dragoncoach56 »

I should have known that with your interest in artifacs. regardless of how you did it those are very good carvings.

Return to “The Off season”