Hey BALLPARENT. Strong Meteor Shower Expected Tonight

General Chat
mstangmom
SEOPS HOF

Hey BALLPARENT. Strong Meteor Shower Expected Tonight

Post by mstangmom »

Knew this was your thing and thought of you when I read it, ENJOY

[quote]The annual Perseid meteor shower is expected to put on a good show this week for those willing to get up in the wee hours of the morning and wait patiently for the shooting stars.

In North America, the best time to watch will be between midnight to 5 a.m. on Wednesday, Aug. 12, but late Tuesday night and also Wednesday night could prove fruitful, weather permitting.

The Perseids are always reliable, and sometimes rather spectacular. The only things that puts a damper on the August show are bad weather or bright moonlight. Unfortunately this week, as the Perseids reach their peak Tuesday and Wednesday nights, the moon will be high in the sky, outshining the fainter meteors.[/quote

Read more about it on Yahoo...............

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20090811/ ... tedtonight

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Re: Hey BALLPARENT. Strong Meteor Shower Expected Tonight

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

You beat me to it mstangmom. I was just getting ready to post about this. I have to work tonight, but hopefully I can get out and see a few later after midnight. Last year my son and I saw about 60 to 70 per hour when we went out on Simon Miller Road in back of Wheelersburg where it was really dark. We saw a few really nice ones that went almost all the way across the sky and left a nice trail behind them, but most were small and very quick.

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

I plan on watching with my boys.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

If it stays cloudy like it is right now we won't be able to see much in our area. Hopefully it will clear up later tonight and we'll have a good view of these.

mstangmom
SEOPS HOF

Post by mstangmom »

SUNNY as can be here, my daughter is puting sleeping bags out on the trampoline now so we can lay out there tonight and watch them.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

mstangmom wrote:SUNNY as can be here, my daughter is puting sleeping bags out on the trampoline now so we can lay out there tonight and watch them.

We've got a lot of cloud cover here in Scioto county. I hope it clears out before this starts around midnight.

mstangmom
SEOPS HOF

Post by mstangmom »

Well the kid and I fell asleep on the trampoline befor we say anything..................

We decided to try again tonight they said it should be really good from 2am to 5am

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

It was to cloudy here and the lights were to bright at work for me to see any until I got off this morning at 5:30 am. I drove to a cornfield and pulled over and saw a few before the sun came up and it got to light. I'm off tonight so I'm going to try it again if te clouds clear out.
Last edited by Burg_Grad_77 on Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

I'm going to look in the morning I'll be up @ 4

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

orange-n-brown 365 wrote:I'm going to look in the morning I'll be up @ 4

Since I work midnights I'll probably be up until 4:00 am.

mstangmom
SEOPS HOF

Post by mstangmom »

they said between 2 and 4 will be the best veiwing tonight. my daughter is really excited about tonight. she is planning on making some popcorn and watching it like a movie.

Got to admit even though we fell asleep last night out on the trampoline it was kinda kool, I hadn't slept out under the stars like thaat in a long time.

mstangmom
SEOPS HOF

Post by mstangmom »

Now I am confused, this morning I heard to watch between 2a and 4a. Now tonight I am hearing to watch between 9p and 11p..................

Someone please explain

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

hardly even dark at 9 pm..

I was wanting to watch last night but forgot, so hopefully we can get a closer estimated time

moose
Varsity

Post by moose »

No luck again last night. It's tough looking for Perseid :shock: on a week night.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Well, I guess I just don't have any luck this year. I just went out to see if I could spot any and a really thick fog has rolled in and you can't even see any stars. Just my luck.

mstangmom
SEOPS HOF

Post by mstangmom »

We saw A lot last night.

Got to admit this was never really somthing I would go out and watch, I just did it as something my daughterr and I could do together. I had a great time out there with her and all he amazment. especially the one that looked like it was coming right at us and had the longest, brightest white tail.

anyways SHE found a new interest and wants me to get her a telescope. when we came in she was looking up all kinds of stuff on the internet about astronomy.

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

missed it all :122247

ballparent
S

Post by ballparent »

mstangmom wrote:We saw A lot last night.

Got to admit this was never really somthing I would go out and watch, I just did it as something my daughterr and I could do together. I had a great time out there with her and all he amazment. especially the one that looked like it was coming right at us and had the longest, brightest white tail.

anyways SHE found a new interest and wants me to get her a telescope. when we came in she was looking up all kinds of stuff on the internet about astronomy.

Told you guys. :-D We saw several and mstangmom, the really bright ones with the thick tails always bring the Ahhhsss just like you hear at fireworks shows. Telescopes are great and make sure to get her a star chart. Borders books I'm sure will have one that has everything she would need in one book. My middle grandchild is our newest star junkie.

mstangmom
SEOPS HOF

Post by mstangmom »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Yeah you told us so, But now I think she is going to take it from something cheap and fun to do together to something that is going to cost me dearly if she really gets into it.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

I was out between 10pm and 11pm and saw two---clear night here-lots of stars

Return to “The Off season”