swbaseballfan
All State

number 9-0 # on your phone

Post by swbaseballfan »

C/P from another trusted site-

Subject: 90# on your telephone.

You may want to pass this on to family or friends

Re: 90# on your telephone.

I dialed '0' and asked the operator to confirm if this was correct, so please pass it on.

I received a telephone call last evening from an individual identifying himself as a Telus Serviceman, who was conducting a test on the telephone-lines. He stated that to complete the test I should touch nine (9) and then zero (0), followed by the pound sign (#), and then to hang up.

Luckily, I was suspicious, and I refused.

Upon contacting the telephone company, I was informed that by pushing 90#, you are giving the requesting individual full access to your telephone line, which enables them to place long distance calls billed to your home phone number.
I was further informed that this scam has been originating from many of B.C.Alta.Ont.NB. local jails and prisons.

DO NOT press 90# for ANYONE !

The GTE Security Department requested that I share this information with EVERYONE I KNOW.
After checking with Telus, they said it was true, so do not dial 90# for anyone

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: number 9-0 # on your phone

Post by Orange and Brown »

Thanks for filling us in!!!!!!! :-D

abuck76
SEOPS HO

Post by abuck76 »

and another is suckered in............. :lol: :lol: ...................... :12224

swbaseballfan
All State

Post by swbaseballfan »

no problem, figured i'd pass this along, i had never heard of it before

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

abuck76 wrote:and another is suckered in............. :lol: :lol: ...................... :12224

You find folks being conned in a scam, funny?

wildthingRV
All Conference

Post by wildthingRV »

If you read the snopes item, Bucks post makes more sense. I know book larnin' ain't yer thang, but try reading that before jumping to conclusions, Tex.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

abuck76 wrote:and another is suckered in............. :lol: :lol: ...................... :12224

Are you really laughing about this??

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

wildthingRV wrote:If you read the snopes item, Bucks post makes more sense. I know book larnin' ain't yer thang, but try reading that before jumping to conclusions, Tex.

Not being sarcastic, I enjoy reading, but many people havent heard of this scam.
Im just making an observation that bucky seems to think folks that hadnt heard about this, and gettin scammed, is funny. I see no humor in theft. Got more respect for murderers. Least the most of them have some sense of honor. Not thieves.

wildthingRV
All Conference

Post by wildthingRV »

Again, if you READ the article, it says that home - owners aren't vulnerable to this due to, oh I don't remember, but that this only works on hotels, large companies with internal switchboards, etc.

Buck was refering to another being sucked into believing that we should be paranoid about this. It's a non-issue unless your phone line requires you to dial "9" to get an outside line, like the phone on my desk at work, NOT like my home phone.

He is not mocking victims, he is mocking the panic of uninformed, which is especially funny since the article is linked.

abuck76
SEOPS HO

Post by abuck76 »

read snopes..........it is a hoax.............. :12224

swbaseballfan
All State

Post by swbaseballfan »

if i knew it was a hoax i would have never posted it, as you can see it is a copy and paste from another site. i just seen it and figured why not spread the info here to people in our area who like me may have not known about it.

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

my rule of thumb is if it sounds too good to be true then don't do it...

here is another article I found from 2007 from consumer affairs... stating its a real scam :122245
Dial 9 For Scam

By Mark Huffman
ConsumerAffairs.com

January 22, 2007

• Read More Scam Alerts ...
An old scam has made a reappearance in Canada, tricking businesses into turning over their phone lines to criminals, who use them to run up hundreds of dollars in bills. Security experts say it's just a matter of time before it makes a comeback appearance in the U.S.

Telus, the Canadian telephone company, reports business customers are getting automated phone calls telling them they have won a Caribbean vacation -- an appealing message to get in January. For more information, they are told to press 9 on their touch-tone phone.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2 ... ial_9.html

Return to “The Off season”