Anyone do the garden thing yet?

General Chat
orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Re: Anyone do the garden thing yet?

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

picking my first cucumber later today bell peppers forming...onions yummy lettuce was a bust it was bitter....even the little stuff tomatoes tall and full of blooms and tomatoes...cabbage the bugs liked it best... next year I'm expanding for green beans and potatoes....

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

gahs4ever wrote:I do my gardening at WalMart and all those carcinogen laced veggies! YUM!

Although growing tomatoes upside down on the porch has caught my eye! :122245

I used TopsyTurvy bags last year, gahs4ever - had a whole thread about them. They worked fine for a long time, and I had a good harvest of tomatoes; but just at the end of the season the hanging bags all suddenly ripped horizonally just below the top rim and fell to the ground.
I thought they'd last for multiple seasons. At $10.00 per bag, I can't afford to replace them every year - so I'm back to in-ground growing. And my 6 tomato plants are growing gangbusters!! They're HUGE and sporting many fruits! But I think an unusually warm Spring and just the right amount of rain here in Ironton are bigger contributing factors than my gardening ability.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

Beans and cucumbers will be ready in a week. Tomatoes in 10 days or so. Could use a little rain here in Ross County.

Runner
SEO

Post by Runner »

toast wrote:Beans and cucumbers will be ready in a week. Tomatoes in 10 days or so. Could use a little rain here in Ross County.

I hear you on the rain. We have had plenty of it over the past few weeks, but it comes down so hard that it just runs off and nothing is soaking into the ground. I have been putting 2 gallons a day on each of my 30 tomato plants for the past month. The same with my 12 green pepper plants and about 3-5 gallon every other day on my cucumbers and banana squash.

I have been picking my Straight 8 cucumbers for about 2 weeks now and got the first picking of my lemon cucumbers today. Looks like I am going to have tons of each. I have been picking my Fourth of July tomatoes for about a week as well. I have 6 of those and have already gotten over 300 tomatoes from them.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

Runner wrote:
toast wrote:Beans and cucumbers will be ready in a week. Tomatoes in 10 days or so. Could use a little rain here in Ross County.

I hear you on the rain. We have had plenty of it over the past few weeks, but it comes down so hard that it just runs off and nothing is soaking into the ground. I have been putting 2 gallons a day on each of my 30 tomato plants for the past month. The same with my 12 green pepper plants and about 3-5 gallon every other day on my cucumbers and banana squash.

I have been picking my Straight 8 cucumbers for about 2 weeks now and got the first picking of my lemon cucumbers today. Looks like I am going to have tons of each. I have been picking my Fourth of July tomatoes for about a week as well. I have 6 of those and have already gotten over 300 tomatoes from them.

That's a serious garden Runner. :-D :-D

I finally watered my tomatoes and cucumbers last night. I'm going out to check on them now.

Return to “The Off season”