Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution

General Chat
TheMalteseFalcon
All Conference

Re: Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution

Post by TheMalteseFalcon »

caglewis wrote: but when I do see/visit her briefly, whatever food I fix rarely suits her - .

So you get her some chicken nuggets and mac & cheese... right? :)

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

YES, I try to FIX her favorites! But not from fast food providers! Knowing they were coming, I had cooked, and kept hot and ready to eat, both the Chicken Parmesan Bits and the Pizza Chicken Bake recipes found on the "Recipe" thread. She actually ate and liked my Chicken Parmesan Bits homemade version of "chicken nuggets", but wouldn't touch the cheesy/noodle dish [which I thought was pretty close to "mac-and-cheese"] - and she won't eat hamburger/red meat at all. They were here to attend a funeral, though, and we had very little time together.

CHICKEN PARMESAN BITS - WITHOUT SAUCE - serves 4-6 [from Ohio State Grange]
6 boneless/skinless chicken half breasts cut in 2-3 strips lengthwise or chicken tenders [2-3 lbs]
1 c fine, dry bread crumbs
1/2 c grated Parmesan/Romano cheese
1 tsp seasoned salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried oregano or italian seasoning
1 tsp dried poultry seasoning
1 tsp dried dill weed
!/2 c melted butter/margarine

In a bag mix together bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, and seasonings.
Roll chicken pieces in melted margarine and then shake, a few pieces at a time in the bag with the crumb mix.
Spray a lg metal baking pan with oil, place chicken pieces on it, spray again with oil, and bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, turning if needed, til well browned on all sides.

PIZZA CHICKEN BAKE - from Favorite Brand Name Recipes - Serves 4
6-7 oz dry uncooked pasta - rotini or penne or bow-tie [1/2 box]
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts [3-4] cut into chunks or strips
1 26-oz can/jar spaghetti sauce - divided
1 cup sliced mushrooms - optional - I always leave them out
1 med onion, chopped - {I use 1 16-oz pkg frozen} - but I omitted all
1 green pepper, diced - {pepper stir-fry, chopped} - those this time
1 Tbsp oil
1 pkg/envelope dry Taco seasoning mix
1 - 1 1/2 cup [4-6 oz] shredded mozzarella or pizza cheese - divided
1/2 - 1 cup shredded Parmesan/Romano cheese - divided

In a pot, cook pasta per pkg directions, drain, and return to hot pot
In a skillet, brown the chicken pieces in oil til no longer pink
Add mushrooms, onion, and pepper - stir til softened
Sprinke taco seasoning mix over chicken and veggies in the skillet
Add 1/2 the spaghetti sauce to the skillet - stir and simmer briefly
Add remaining sauce to the drained pasta in the pot - stir to combine
Butter an 8" X 8", 9" X 9" or 2 qt casserole dish
Pour the pasta and sauce mixture into the buttered baking dish
Sprinkle with 1/2 of each of the cheeses
Pour the chicken mixture over all and top with remaining cheese
Bake in a 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes til cheese is melted.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

Ok what was the point of tonights show? To show that you can find 1000 people in Huntington that want to be on tv. One little cooking exercise doesnt show people anything. That wont change the way you cook or eat.
Lets not complain about fastfood. You can eat healthy at mick D's and wendy and burger king if you choose wisely.

Take Wendys you get a large chili and a plain baked potatoe and a diet coke or water you got a healthymeal.

Its all about choices people.

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

I thought the point was to encourage people [institutional and home alike] to COOK - not just "warm-up" or "buy-out" processed prepared food [which can indeed be healthy and nutritious if used in moderation] - but really COOK naked food from raw and scratch on a regular basis!
And just maybe to encourage kids to broaden their pallette? Or teach them rudimentary cooking skills and provide them with basic nutrition knowledge to better inform their choices?

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

Maybe I missed all that from tonights show. People cooking 1 meal like they did is teaching them nothing. Its like anything you dont go take a swing at the cages with Mark McGwire and automatically you learn how to hit home runs or you dont go a round with GSP and you learn how to be a UFC fighter. Tonights show was a huge fail.

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

The problem is - there are very many kids who have never ever witnessed any menu-planning, shopping, "cooking", or any kind of meal preparation going on in their house. Somebody has to start somewhere with those kids to say meals can be "cooked by you" and here's how! And you don't have to be an "all-star" caliber talent to start cooking - to quote NIKE - "JUST DO IT"!

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

To change cooks - Rachael Ray and her "30-Minute-Meals" ideas/books have a section called MYOTO [Make Your Own Take Out] where she demonstrates that you can cook many types of meals yourself faster than you can call and get it delivered. Jamie Oliver's stir-fry wok dish reminded me of RR recipes. His "1000-person goal" was just a PR device to get people thinking about "cooking" their food rather than "ordering" it. I thought it worked just fine to make the point that you can DIY faster, healthier, cheaper - and here's how! - See it works - give it a try!

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

Look I cook all the time and sometimes it easier to get take out than to cook. Like on my way home from the gym sometimes I dont feel like cooking so I stop and get a 6 inch sub with double meat and lots of veggies on it. That takes me about 10 minutes. Now if I went home and cooked it would take me longer to cook than it did to order and eat my sub.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

Fido, thats usually what I do. I fix my lunch and breakfast night before so the next day I can just grab the right tupperware dish with my food in it. Then at night my dad usually does the cooking so he cooks dinner. On those nights when we are busy to cook or whatever we run to Subway or Mcdonalds and grab a classic grilled chicken no mayo and a side salad.
Again its all about choices.

lostcause
Freshman Team

Post by lostcause »

i think the reason kids are so obese theses days is because of there parents. i know it sounds harsh but anymore parents dont make there kids get out and play cause there so worried about that pediphile down the street. when i was a kid the only time i was indoors was to sleep. really people need to quit worrying so much and make there kids get off the ipod and playstations and things would be much better,especially in ironton.

the games are really just an excuse for the parents so they dont have to get out to do anything with there kids. I KNOW the world is so busy.
my kids have all the game stations and ipods but i make it fun enough for them outside they dont really even think electronics. All it takes is just a little effort from the parents and things would be just fine........

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

lostcause wrote:i think the reason kids are so obese theses days is because of there parents. i know it sounds harsh but anymore parents dont make there kids get out and play cause there so worried about that pediphile down the street. when i was a kid the only time i was indoors was to sleep. really people need to quit worrying so much and make there kids get off the ipod and playstations and things would be much better,especially in ironton.

the games are really just an excuse for the parents so they dont have to get out to do anything with there kids. I KNOW the world is so busy.
my kids have all the game stations and ipods but i make it fun enough for them outside they dont really even think electronics. All it takes is just a little effort from the parents and things would be just fine........

But YOU obviously don't know/can't spell the difference between "there", "they're", and "their" - whose "fault" is that? Are you any better at providing any food at all, let alone "cooking instruction" or "nutritional" advice or info to your kids than you are at grammer/spelling?

lostcause
Freshman Team

Post by lostcause »

caglewis wrote:
lostcause wrote:i think the reason kids are so obese theses days is because of there parents. i know it sounds harsh but anymore parents dont make there kids get out and play cause there so worried about that pediphile down the street. when i was a kid the only time i was indoors was to sleep. really people need to quit worrying so much and make there kids get off the ipod and playstations and things would be much better,especially in ironton.

But YOU obviously don't know/can't spell the difference between "there", "they're", and "their" - whose "fault" is that? Are you any better at providing any food at all, let alone "cooking instruction" or "nutritional" advice or info to your kids than you are at grammer/spelling?

yu caglewis are the reason why kids are so fat theses days. you ar onli worrid about wat there spellin. well if you want to corrext my spelling then go head cause my kids are HONOR ROLL students there weight is perfect and there very athletic(thats 3 kids for your info). you are the reason myself and many of my friends dont post on this site because of the whining and criticts THERE are. Its internet let it go or better yet quit correcting ppl so they dont feel like THEY ARE still in school. But back to my post i still think its the parents fault!!!!!!!!!!

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

Its a combination of things. The parents can be blamed because they need to force their kids out the house to go play ball instead of sitting around all day playing playstation and nintendo.
The schools can be blamed because they cut gym classes and then the health are like 20 years old and dont do a good job of teaching kids fundamentals of basic health.
Then you got to blame the kids to for not having the gumption to turn off the tv and go out and play with their friends.
So no one is blameless in this obesity epidemic.

bigtimehitter
All Conference

Post by bigtimehitter »

lostcause wrote:
caglewis wrote:

yu caglewis are the reason why kids are so fat theses days. you ar onli worrid about wat there spellin. well if you want to corrext my spelling then go head cause my kids are HONOR ROLL students there weight is perfect and there very athletic(thats 3 kids for your info). you are the reason myself and many of my friends dont post on this site because of the whining and criticts THERE are. Its internet let it go or better yet quit correcting ppl so they dont feel like THEY ARE still in school. But back to my post i still think its the parents fault!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously! She is what some (and by some I mean me) would call a "female dog". Thought that for the longest time, she seems like a totally miserable person that looks down her oversized snotty nose on people.That's where the term "female dog" comes into play. :roll:

osumufan
SE

Post by osumufan »

South Point's Little League concession stand is trying to do their part. Last night i was able to order a fruit cup!!!!!

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

lostcause felt free to cast blanket blame on parents for feeding/exercising their kids poorly; but in criticizing/blaming those parents for their kids' weight problems, lostcause exhibited a basic inability to handle the English language - so why shouldn't I be equally free to criticize that failure? Those errors could have been easily corrected - correcting weight problems is much more difficult - as witness the many threads on here regarding nutrition and weight loss.
And I really don't get how knowing/using "good grammer/spelling" relates to "causing obesity".
yu caglewis are the reason why kids are so fat theses days. you ar onli worrid about wat there spellin.
Jamie Oliver's goal is to provide better nutritional choices in school-lunch programs, and increase educational info regarding nutrition/weight loss in general to kids and their families. And have not the recipes I have posted on here been nutritionally well balanced and adequate? Even maltesefalcon fixed one of them and thought it was good - and he generally just hates me!

The problem is - I'm a very good cook, but an even better eater! So I've struggled with weight, and been called "fat" for most of my life; and both my kids have weight problems, too, as adults as well as kids. Are their problems my fault because of the way I fed them? It's tough to be a Mom - whatever you do turns out to be wrong!

JUST AS YOU SAID - So back to you, lostcause and bigtimehitter [you're probably both tall and skinny and can eat anything you want] - I freely grant that I am female, old, ugly, short, and overweight - oh, and a liberal democrat, too! But what's your problem with or your alternative solution/suggestion to Jamie Oliver's attempt to change/improve eating habits and decrease obesity in our area? I applaud his efforts, agree with his goals, and like the show.
Last edited by caglewis on Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigtimehitter
All Conference

Post by bigtimehitter »

^^^Actually I'm not. I'm 5'8 (on a good day) and 180 pounds. But my gosh you have one of the worst attitudes I have ever seen on this site!! in my eyes you are constantly looking for a confrontation and argument and say to the hell with a friendly conversation! If you just want to butt heads and try to show off your wit and "intelligence" then maybe you should find a political chat room so you can you can put people down

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

All I asked [but not got answered], in response to your criticism of my comments and thread:
But what's your problem with or your alternative solution/suggestion to Jamie Oliver's attempt to change/improve eating habits and decrease obesity in our area? I applaud his efforts, agree with his goals, and like the show.

So, apparently my posted opinions are unwelcome; while yours, on the other hand, are fine?
I started this thread not to be confrontational, but because this show involves a town very close to our area, and because there are many of us on here fighting this battle against weight.
And I thought some other SEOPS posters just might find this show's subject matter interesting.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Alright, back on topic people! lol

I am 6'5" and currently 299 lbs. I am an ex athlete who was always told, eat get bigger and stronger. Now that I am 40, I have to tell myself stop eating bad things and get smaller! lol Oh the irony.

Anyhow, I am currently training for a sprint triathlon in Tn. coming up in late may. I can freestyle swim 600 yards without stopping, ride my road bike for 40+ minutes, and run over a mile without stopping. However, my eating habits were horrible and I wasnt losing weight.

I recently stopped drinking soda and eating processed foods, as much as you can nowadays! lol I eat only lowfat soy dairy products, fresh fruits and vegetables and lean meats. I have lost 6 pounds in 6 days.

The problem is that I am the main cook for our house, so since I have went completely healthy, the kids no longer get the bbq ribs, steak, mashed potatoes, casseroles, pastas and other foods I used to cook. I have to cook TWO meals now! lol

Its hard, but my kids are healthy, active and happy. Just last night we cut up fresh fruit together, snacked on it and put some in containers for our lunches today. You can do it.

vids4ckcrash
Varsity

Post by vids4ckcrash »

I do not understand why someone who complains about being overweight, would talk about food so much. This is somewhat like an alcoholic always refering to different ways of mixing alcohol to make it more palatable or working as a beertender. Think about something else.

Back in the day when I quit smoking, I would shy away from bars and places where temptation would be the greatest.

Now hit me with your best shot.

Return to “The Off season”