Losing weight and your health

General Chat
orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Losing weight and your health

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

Since my weight loss journey began over a year ago I have stopped many meds because I lost the weight and became healthier.. I no longer take sleeping pills which I had to have to sleep more than 2 hours a night...I no longer take prilosec for reflux and stomach pain.. I no longer take celebrex for my arthritis in my knees hips neck and back .. I am really close to giving up my blood pressure meds most of these I have been on 5 or more years.....I had problems with IBS and those problems have gotten better. How many others has had that happened when they lost weight??
even with limited mobility you still can eat healthy and lose weight I never thought about that before but it can happen.. I have a family member doing it right now with moblilty limitations and has lost over 30lbs.. Good luck to all that has lost or is losing you can do it!!
We say this after prayer at our exercise class and Its another thing I live by
Philippians 4:13 - I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Losing weight and your health

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

I am so happy for you.
Keep up the great work.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

:aaaaa41

Charley Hustle
SEOP

Post by Charley Hustle »

Keep up the great work.

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

Obesity [or even just being moderately overweight] is probably the single most underlying/contributing factor to all health problems -hypertension, diabetes, arthritis.
I have struggled with weight problems all my life, and I fully appreciate/understand the constant unremitting effort required of all others doing that same battle which never ends. Isn't this the only situation to say CONGRATS FOR YOUR LOSS and KEEP IT DOWN??

IronTigerMum
Varsity

Post by IronTigerMum »

o n b: Congrats on losing the meds and seeing health benefits galore! I'm a firm believer as you know, but, the thing I like about WWs is that they teach us how to eat, but, WE have to be the ones to eat right, exercise, etc. What works for one may not work for another, but, this has been a tremendous journey for me and with the problems I've had with my leg over the last year, i can't imagine having that extra 94 lbs. on me to carry around on crutches! I, too am down 4 meds out of 5. I was on two bp meds (30 years worth) and was on an oral med for diabetes for almost 20. I've been off diabetes meds two years this month (hoorayyyy!) and off bp meds totally two years this coming August. My health is the reason I did this (bikini days are long gone...lol) and it's paid off. Keep being an inspiration to others, good health is priceless.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

IronTigerMum

everytime I take me diabetes,and BP meds, I think about what you told us at one of the meetings,how you got off the meds by eating right.....I have tried to eat exactly what I am supposed to a couple times,but always fail in the end...I have now gained about 25 pounds.."at my last appointment a week ago' and it was dispointing :cry: ..esp after last year,I had dropped like 38 pounds in a few months....

but...after my last appointment,Im set on getting the weight off before football season... 8)

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

BIGGDOWGG:
everytime I take me diabetes,and BP meds

Are you a pirate?

IronTigerMum
Varsity

Post by IronTigerMum »

dowwgg: One of the biggest lessons I learned was to forgive myself for 'slipping'. My own goal was to get back on track the next meal, not the next day or week. I slipped plenty. It took me two years to lose it. Many a week I gained and probably averaged less than a lb a week overall. It's a journey, it doesn't come on overnight and it isn't going to go off overnight. Hang in there and I'll be pulling for you to get off some meds!

LOL@pirate-eze

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

kantuckyII wrote:
BIGGDOWGG:

Are you a pirate?

you been ....errr..I mean,I been called worse :mrgreen:

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

Ahoy, matey! - Good luck in achieving your goal!
And how inappropriate is it to wonder when on earth we'll ever have lunch again?

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

caglewis wrote:Ahoy, matey! - Good luck in achieving your goal!
And how inappropriate is it to wonder when on earth we'll ever have lunch again?

maybe they are just trying to help me from eating to much? :mrgreen:

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

biggdowgg wrote:
kantuckyII wrote:
BIGGDOWGG:

Are you a pirate?

you been ....errr..I mean,I been called worse :mrgreen:

Yeah? really, when?

reliob
Freshman Team

Post by reliob »

WAY TO GO !!!!!!!!!!!! I am so happy for you. You have almost lost 100 lbs, and i hope to see how great that feels in the next year. The only meds i am on is bp medicine . I was pushing the envelope for diabetes and high cholestrol,but with a diet change and a 50 lb weight loss my #'s are way down.My Dr. checks my blood work every 4 months and she cant believe what a change this has made to my cholestrol #s and my a1c {longterm blood sugar numbers}. I also quit smoking after 25 years of that bad habit ,and hope to see better health from that decision also.

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

I forgot to mention and reliob reminded me all my labs were great and my doctor was cheering for me! the only two things I needed to work on was getting my good cholesterol to 50 it was 44 and my iron was low...

irontigermum has been a great inspiration to me she suffered through this knee thing and did great with no exercise etc.

I think anytime you are doing something to make you healthy you should share not as a brag but as I hope a help! I feel like I am tooting my horn a little too much and then someone I know tells me how much I've helped them get motivated and well I toot it again :122245
My biggest cheerleaders are my friends!! and i love them so much for it!!!

biggdowwg you can do it with determination !!! I know you can do it!!!

reliob
Freshman Team

Post by reliob »

O n B 365 you just keep tooting your own horn,because i for one use it as inspiration {sp}.My father is a preacher and i have heard him say time after time ,if you feel you have a testamony stand up and give it ,because you never know who needs to hear what you have to say at that time.

Irontigermum, you are soooo right it it a journey of little steps, and all of your victories dont have to come on the scale.

Biggdowwg, i am or was a glutton .I ate only a couple times a day ,but man did i eat when it was time .The first thing i did to lose weight was eat more[ i know everyone just said "what you talkin about Willis"] but i now try to eat a little bit every few hours and, i never ever let myself get hungry enough to go back to the glutton days. I know it is probably not for everyone but Weight Watchers is the real deal with the points system now,and if your a man on WW it is doubly true. I get 37 points a day and if you lay off of high fat, high sugar ,or carb foods,you will eat a lot to get to those points. There is a web site that lists points for a lot of resteraunts at dwlz.com.Just for example go there and look up Mcdonalds Quarter pounder with cheese and a large fry, and look at the point value of that meal, and see why i dont eat one of those every day.I guess what i am trying to say is a diet doesnt have to be a strict "i can never eat that again" kind of thing ,but a life style change to look at what you put into your body .
Last edited by reliob on Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Amen reliob! Weight Watchers is not a diet but a lifestyle change and it sure does scare you when you look up calories on things we never ever thought twice about eating before!!! I am a person who forgets to stop eating when something is very good ... I am still learning 59 weeks later....

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

And doesn't having that info readily available on labels and menus make a difference in your choices? Ditto for "allergy" info on labels. I appreciate the more detailed labeling now required.

IronTigerMum
Varsity

Post by IronTigerMum »

Weight Watchers works if you work it! That's the key. Yes, reliob, you need to eat those 'filling' foods so you aren't starving. I'm like o n b, this journey is going on three years old for me and I'm still learning! Thank goodness I can move again and wake up my metabolism! Whew, it's good to sweat! Down 1.5 more this week. 10.5 to go to get back to my goal!

reliob
Freshman Team

Post by reliob »

1 year ago I weighed 320 pounds,ate whatever i wanted,and smoked a pack of cigerettes a day. Today I went to the DR and what a difference a year makes. My a1c was6.4 now its5.6.my total cholesterol was over 200 now 162.my LdL[bad cholesterol] was116 now92 my good cholesterol was 34 now47 my blood pressure was running 140 or 50 over 90 to 100 now 130 over 80 without meds. My weight is now 279 but, my low was 268 before i quit smoking. I am still losing weight and my goal is to get below 240. I am breathing much easier, have more energy, and the mrs says i dont snore anymore ,and, i still eat pretty much whatever i want,but now in moderation.

Return to “The Off season”