kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

College Scouts Eyeing This Ten Year Old

Post by kantuckyII »

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Re: College Scouts Eyeing This Ten Year Old

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

What a joke. Yeah, the kids good for his age, but there is no gaurantee that he will be a superstar when he gets older. He may even not want to play ball when he gets older. Who knows. To say he is the next Kobe and that college scouts are watching him is just a little ridiculous.

moose
Varsity

Post by moose »

He looks awfully old for ten years. And that little kid was blowing right past him.

Hoggy
SEOP

Post by Hoggy »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote:What a joke. Yeah, the kids good for his age, but there is no gaurantee that he will be a superstar when he gets older. He may even not want to play ball when he gets older. Who knows. To say he is the next Kobe and that college scouts are watching him is just a little ridiculous.

Good post!

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Yeah, I remember everyone goin' on and on about Lebron James when he was still in Junior High School....what do you know? hmmmmmmmm

Runner
SEO

Post by Runner »

This kid puts me a lot in mind of former John Glenn and Ohio State star Jay Burson when he was this kids age.

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

Last June at the Ironton Gus Macker I watched a very small boy shoot and hit free-throw after free-throw [>20] just for fun all by himself during a long break between scheduled games. I called to him from my seat on the sidewalk, and asked him how old he was - he said 5. Mercy!
Obviously, there are some people just simply born with exceptional talents and abilities - academic, athletic, artistic, perfect musical pitch, etc. which should always be encouraged.
The trouble is figuring out how hard to push them, how much time, effort, and practice to demand of them, how much pressure is appropriate at what age for "prodigies" of all varieties.

Hoggy
SEOP

Post by Hoggy »

kantuckyII wrote:Yeah, I remember everyone goin' on and on about Lebron James when he was still in Junior High School....what do you know? hmmmmmmmm

I know that players like LeBron don't come around very often and the chances of this kid becoming the next Mr. James, is a long shot.

I am not taking anything away from the kid's talents, but I am a realist. I wish him the best and hopefully he does well for himself.

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

How about other sports? Like ice skating or gymnastics? Didn't all Olympic caliber ice skaters and gymnasts start out at a very young age with someone "spotting/eyeing" their talent potential and encouraging them to continue?? Or the same for talented singers, dancers, and musicians?
Do their talents get the same attention as for basketball, football, baseball athletes?

KVDW
SE

Post by KVDW »

if he inherits his dads body frame he may end up being the left gaurd for the oakland raiders.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

I agree that certain child prodigies could go on to become great athletes or musicians, but at 10 years old it's kind of hard to say he will be the next Kobe or LeBron. Somes kids develope earlier than others and thier talent level is at a higher plane, but then the other kids usually catch up and sometimes pass those kids that were great at the younger age.

I saw that first hand many times while coaching Little League over a 6 or 7 year span. I saw kids at age 8 or 9 that were way above the talent level of the other kids. They could hit the ball with ease and were great pitchers and fielders, but by the time they hit 13 or 14 all the other kids had caught up with them and they were'nt all that spectacular of a player then.
Last edited by Burg_Grad_77 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shazbot
Freshman Team

Post by Shazbot »

I was at the Convo earlier this year (December?) and watched 3 young kids come out with their team. They looked to be maybe 6-8 years of age or even younger. This kid has nothing over these 3. They dribbled 1 on 2 from center court to the edge. I was more impressed with these kids than the basketball that day. Wish I could recall the team they were with.

Hoggy
SEOP

Post by Hoggy »

caglewis wrote:How about other sports? Like ice skating or gymnastics? Didn't all Olympic caliber ice skaters and gymnasts start out at a very young age with someone "spotting/eyeing" their talent potential and encouraging them to continue?? Or the same for talented singers, dancers, and musicians?
Do their talents get the same attention as for basketball, football, baseball athletes?

No, they get the same kind of attention IMO. The fan base or following isn't quite the same with the sports that you mentioned. Just as an example, how many threads do you see on here about ice skating?

Return to “The Off season”