Has Hanging Rock PD sunk to the level of the OHSP?

General Chat
vids4ckcrash
Varsity

Post by vids4ckcrash »

We know the OHSP does hide to get their "non quota" quota.

Was driving back from South Point this afternoon, and a Hanging Rock PD was backed up into a kinda steep side road just as you enter the corp limits on the West bound side of 52. He seemed to be watching the East bound traffic on 52 just before the East bound traffic left the Corp limits. Lots of people see that there is no PD cars when they get near to leaving the Corp limit and speed up. Now they GOTCHA!

Of couse he could have been in there for a "nooner".

I love Cruise Control.

The Instructor
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Has Hanging Rock PD sunk to the level of the OHSP?

Post by The Instructor »

They are there all the time.

This is nothing new.

They are pitiful.

I have to travel through Hanging Rock many times during the week.

They have several other hiding places too.

There used to be signs that said the speed limit is strictly enforced there.

The signs did not have reflective material on them so they could not be seen at night.

They are not posted anymore.

WhiteWhiskers
JV Team

Post by WhiteWhiskers »

Just drive the speed limit and you wont have a problem.

How many of you would go out there day/night and put you life on the line like the police, highway patrol and state troopers do?

Someday one of you that bad mouth them may need their help in the worst of ways.

Five Point
JV Team

Post by Five Point »

Only way you are safe is if you count all 4 cruisers at the station when you go by. That's right...4 cop cars for that "village". A Bit overkill IMHO.

The Instructor
SEOPS Hippo

Post by The Instructor »

^^^^
AMEN!

I have said the same thing many times!

This infuriates me!

I drive 52 daily and see this happen all the time.

The Ohio State Patrol speed and drive slow in the fast lane all the time.

I have even seen them not wearing seatbelts.

I drove from the Lawrence/Scioto line the other day and one flew by me.

I tried to keep up but had to slow down through Hanging Rock.

I wanted to see where he was going so I sped up when I got by Hanging Rock.

He got off at the Ironton 93 exit and drove straight to Speedway.

He went in Speedway to buy something to drink.

He was not on a call but was driving easily over 70 mph in a 55 zone.

I have seen this and worse many times.

85inside
S

Post by 85inside »

I say raise the speed limit to 60 and catch all of the speeders you can.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

WhiteWhiskers wrote:Just drive the speed limit and you wont have a problem.

How many of you would go out there day/night and put you life on the line like the police, highway patrol and state troopers do?

Someday one of you that bad mouth them may need their help in the worst of ways.

For the most part I agree with what you say. As long as we obey the traffic laws you shouldn't have any problems with law enforcement. But then you have places like Hanging Rock and the one that used to be in the Columbus news all the times who take it way to far. Being pulled over and issued a ticket for 57 in a 55 is overkill in my book and I know people who have had that happen in HR. The fine for speeding might not be as much but they stick you with a buttload of court costs and that 2 miles over might cost you close to $100. That ridiculous and that's why I set my speed control at 54 mph from the time I hit the County Rd 1 exit just before HR and don't turn it off until I am up past where you can see the new schools being built in Ironton. I do the same coming back through. Those a-holes aren't getting any of my hard earned money.

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

I think it's the other way around! I think the only goal ever of Hanging Rock police has been to pad their village budget by issuing tickets on their "1 1/2 miles of revenue rendering roadway used to its best advantage". The OSHP do actual, potentially dangerous "law enforcement" work occasionally, and we do indeed need police protection and must pay for it with tax money.
I also agree with the sentiment of "comply with the law and you won't have a problem", but there are indeed "degrees of compliance"! 2 miles over the limit is not the same as 20, and doesn't deserve the same vigilant attention and prosecution, does it? But that kind of super strict enforcement can bring in big money via fines without much potential risk/danger, right?
P.S. - the only speeding ticket I have ever received in my life was in Piketon for doing 57 in their "reduced-speed" 50-mph zone on Rt 23. Hanging Rock is the same; and I carefully go UNDER the posted speed limit in both places because they'll GET you for going ANY over!

Manwithplan
All State

Post by Manwithplan »

You could be doing 60 mph down 52, and the sheriffs dept. will pass you like you are standing still.

The Instructor
SEOPS Hippo

Post by The Instructor »

manwithplan wrote:You could be doing 60 mph down 52, and the sheriffs dept. will pass you like you are standing still.

You are right!

I have seen this many times.

coachb
Freshman Team

Post by coachb »

I pas HR police daily doing 60mph. no ticket yet. But I won't go over 60. You're asking for a ticket exceding that.

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

If someone would post a sign that read "Speed Trap Ahead, Slow Down" on either side of HR, they would be out of business in less than a year. 4 cruisers for that size of town is ridiculous. Now I have noticed Coal Grove and South Point are doing the same thing. So what I do is cross over at the Greenup Dam and avoid Lawrence County completely. The overzealous cops will are causing the businesses in the area to suffer.
You can write your state rep and complain. I know between Cleveland and Columbus there was a town that ran a speed trap. After several Ohio state reps got pulled over going to the Statehouse from Northern Ohio they changed the law to state you had to have a certain amount of footage of highway in your district before you could patrol it. They raised it to just over what the town had, and thus shut them down.
Maybe we need to measure HR and lobby to raise it again?

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Drive the speed limit, obey the traffic laws and it is not a problem. Sure we are all going to speed from time to time, but you can't complain if we get caught.

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

gahs4ever wrote:Personally Im too big of a chicken to do any kind of work that involves approaching a strange vehicle after dark; not knowing who is in the vehicle or what their intentions are.

Having said that, there is no question that they have their "non-quota quotas", irrespective of what they might have us believe. My biggest beef is the double standard in which they and their kind think themselves above the law and do the same things they would ticket us for.

For example, over at the 327 exit off US35 between Rio Grande and Jackson, I have been ticketed for what is called a California or rolling stop. I broke the law (technically) and I paid the fine without going to court. But I also made it clear to the hypocrite hiding behind the badge that I drive that road every day, and there is an inspection station just up the road. I have yet to see an OHSP car come to a full stop and Im talking about more than a hundred over the last 20 years. I wonder if they take the time to write themselves a ticket?

And anyone who thinks they dont take care of "their own" at a traffic stop is living in a dream world. I have dozens of similar stories as Im sure everyone on here does, but the rule of thumb the OHSP and local law enforcement seems to be preaching is "do as I say and not as I do."

I see a Vinton County Sherriffs deputy break the school zone speed limit every Monday thru Friday durring the school year. Every school morning, sure as clockwork.

The Instructor
SEOPS Hippo

Post by The Instructor »

rockyraccoon wrote:If someone would post a sign that read "Speed Trap Ahead, Slow Down" on either side of HR, they would be out of business in less than a year. 4 cruisers for that size of town is ridiculous. Now I have noticed Coal Grove and South Point are doing the same thing. So what I do is cross over at the Greenup Dam and avoid Lawrence County completely. The overzealous cops will are causing the businesses in the area to suffer.
You can write your state rep and complain. I know between Cleveland and Columbus there was a town that ran a speed trap. After several Ohio state reps got pulled over going to the Statehouse from Northern Ohio they changed the law to state you had to have a certain amount of footage of highway in your district before you could patrol it. They raised it to just over what the town had, and thus shut them down.
Maybe we need to measure HR and lobby to raise it again?

I like your post. :122245

The Instructor
SEOPS Hippo

Post by The Instructor »

Orange and Brown wrote:Drive the speed limit, obey the traffic laws and it is not a problem. Sure we are all going to speed from time to time, but you can't complain if we get caught.

I have no problem obeying the speed limits or paying the fines if I don't obey them.

What I have a huge problem with is the police speeding and driving wrecklessly and getting away with it.

I saw an Ohio State Patrol car swerving back and forth last week while driving on 52.

He was on his cell phone.

If I had been swerving like that, I would have received a ticket.

fightingtigers45
S

Post by fightingtigers45 »

Anyone ever drive 23 up the Kentucky side? Im talking mostly after Greenup towards Portsmouth. You can let loose over there. I drive to Shawnee 5x per week during school and I have seen a cop car maybe three times. I go about 65-70 and get passed like Im going 40!

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

The Instructor wrote:
Orange and Brown wrote:Drive the speed limit, obey the traffic laws and it is not a problem. Sure we are all going to speed from time to time, but you can't complain if we get caught.

I have no problem obeying the speed limits or paying the fines if I don't obey them.

What I have a huge problem with is the police speeding and driving wrecklessly and getting away with it.

I saw an Ohio State Patrol car swerving back and forth last week while driving on 52.

He was on his cell phone.

If I had been swerving like that, I would have received a ticket.

I am with you 100% there! I always call the post or local law enforcement agency with the car number and tell them how there officer was driving. It may help or it may not but thats all I can do unless I carry a video camera around with me.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Space Cowboy wrote:
gahs4ever wrote:Personally Im too big of a chicken to do any kind of work that involves approaching a strange vehicle after dark; not knowing who is in the vehicle or what their intentions are.

Having said that, there is no question that they have their "non-quota quotas", irrespective of what they might have us believe. My biggest beef is the double standard in which they and their kind think themselves above the law and do the same things they would ticket us for.

For example, over at the 327 exit off US35 between Rio Grande and Jackson, I have been ticketed for what is called a California or rolling stop. I broke the law (technically) and I paid the fine without going to court. But I also made it clear to the hypocrite hiding behind the badge that I drive that road every day, and there is an inspection station just up the road. I have yet to see an OHSP car come to a full stop and Im talking about more than a hundred over the last 20 years. I wonder if they take the time to write themselves a ticket?

And anyone who thinks they dont take care of "their own" at a traffic stop is living in a dream world. I have dozens of similar stories as Im sure everyone on here does, but the rule of thumb the OHSP and local law enforcement seems to be preaching is "do as I say and not as I do."

I see a Vinton County Sherriffs deputy break the school zone speed limit every Monday thru Friday durring the school year. Every school morning, sure as clockwork.

Back when the Grade School in Wheelersburg was on Dogwood Ridge and right directly across from my house I used to see this every morning when kids were trying to cross to get to school. And it wasn't just the cops, it was everybody that came through that zone. After a boy got hit crossing in the crosswalk trying to get to school they posted a sheriff deputy there for a while, but after she pulled over a County Commissioners wife and issued her a ticket the deputy was gone within 2 days.

theassassin
All State

Post by theassassin »

above the law

Return to “The Off season”