How long do you let your adult child live at home for free

General Chat
LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

How long do you let your adult child live at home for free

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

No right or wrong answer just like seeing what others have to say on this kind of stuff.

mstangmom
SEOPS HOF

Re: How long do you let your adult child live at home for free

Post by mstangmom »

I think it all depends on the situation.
If they are just bumming around, not working or contributing in any way, then kick em out and find out what the real world is all about.

if they are working and contributin to the household let em stay as long as they need you

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Last July my daughter had enough of Columbus and came home to find a job here.She has a job and living here free. I told here to save her money until she wants to get out and get here own place. I'm in no hurry for here to go.

Hoggy
SEOP

Post by Hoggy »

I also think that it depends on the situation. I know several may think they would kick their child out, but I highly doubt it. I am a year away from my oldest being 18 and I always tell her that the door will always be open for her no matter what. I wouldn't want her making dumb decisions or doing without just because of her not having somewhere to return to if things don't work out.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

gahs4ever wrote:^^^^^^Do you adopt?

My daughter isn't--but I do have a adopted son living in Nashville.
My daughter wanted to be on her own right out of high school and her work took her to Columbus nine years ago and then when her mother pasted away six years ago she has wanted to come back. When she had the chance last summer she did. Now she is back around most of her friends and her mother's family and she is very happy.

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

Just remember - the kid you kick out now may be the same one you come to count on taking care of you or taking you in later - kind of kidding - but still! And what about grandkids - how long - or even at all - do YOU support them if their parents [your kids] won't/don't/can't?
Last edited by caglewis on Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

open door, never any limits , we all been there. life's too short.we'll make room somewhere.

Philly
All Conference

Post by Philly »

My sons moved out right after High School. My daughters has moved in and out of my house several times. She has been here with me for almost 3 years with her 3 daughters. Although, I do hope that she will one day be able to live on her own, I like having her here.

dragoncoach56
JV Team

Post by dragoncoach56 »

As long as I have a home,my children and if it happens, their children,no limits, no charge. They just have to follow basic rules of courtesy,and continue to try to help themselves. Fortunately for me that has always been the case.

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

No one lives for free, if they don't pay rent or help on expenses, then they work off their rent. Dishes, cleaning, mowing, laundry etc, etc. It's the parents who let their kids freeload off of them that make them the lazy bums that they become later on in life, expecting a free ride. There is no free ride in life, like they say in McDonalds, "if you got time to lean, you got time to clean"

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

Reminds me of the old tale from India about the grandfather who was so old he couldn't take care of himself. His son decided to load him up in a basket and take him out into the wilderness to leave him to die. When the grandson insisted that he go along, his father asked him "why do you want to go". He replied, "So I will know where to take you when you are old".

As for the thread, the question was "Live at home for free", my point is "Free does not mean Free of responsibilities" which is what I see with most kids in their 20's who are freeloading off their parents, who work full time, then come home and have to do the house work and chores that the kids should have done.

mustang_lvr
SEOPS Hippo

Post by mustang_lvr »

depends

Westsider1993
JV Team

Post by Westsider1993 »

The longer you let a kid sit around the house after graduation the further behind you put that kid in the job market. It will be longer for them to get established, find a career, and retire. I agree with helping, but not doing everything. If you let them stay home they better have a job. A real job. When a kid graduates, if they don't go to college or into the military, what are they going to do? Unless they have parents who own there own business and it does well, the answer is loaf. I can't believe how soft parents are nowadays. Society has grown hard to people's feelings, but when it comes to their own kids won't take a stand. Probably a big reason why we have the largest prison population in the world. Lack of parenting skills. And lack of parents.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

I brought them into the world...I kind of have a responsibility. On the other hand, have a plan and be working towards it.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

The oldest boys were off to college, graduated and took jobs away from home in big cities. Daughter left for a job after H.S. in another city & lived with friends for several years. Youngest boy lived at home but did chores & paid $100 a month for room & board. All developed a sense of responsibility. All got married. Then, I got stupid, built a new home ( two story, 4 BDRM, 2.5 baths) for places for them ( and grandkids ) to stay when they visited. Instead, they ALL retuned home to take local jobs & buy homes with-in blocks of us . Now they are over daily ( at least they go home at night ).

:lol:

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

This is from the poem " The Death of the Hired Man" - by Robert Frost -
The sentiment has always stuck in my mind. Having a safe haven HOME to go to if we fall/fail is a "biggie" in how we make decisions! It's easier to JUMP if you know there's a safety net below!

http://www.internal.org/Robert_Frost/Th ... _Hired_Man

'Warren,' she said, 'he has come home to die:
You needn't be afraid he'll leave you this time.'

'Home,' he mocked gently.

'Yes, what else but home?
It all depends on what you mean by home.
Of course he's nothing to us, any more
then was the hound that came a stranger to us
Out of the woods, worn out upon the trail.'

'Home is the place where, when you have to go there,
They have to take you in.'

'I should have called it
Something you somehow haven't to deserve.'

Return to “The Off season”