Gay marriage: why is it illegal?

General Chat
wildthingRV
All Conference

Re: Gay marriage: why is it illegal?

Post by wildthingRV »

kantuckyII wrote:It's against nature

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/04/magaz ... als-t.html

So . . . not so much. But who cares about facts?

Der_Kommissar1968
JV Team

Post by Der_Kommissar1968 »

kantuckyII wrote:It's against nature
No, it's against your religious beliefs . . . YOUR religious beliefs, which puts you squarely in the minority.

Enacting laws based on religious beliefs . . . Isn't that what Sharia law is all about? I think we all know how well that system works. No thanks. I'll take laws grounded in reason and in conformity with the Constitution. If only we could achieve that.

KVDW
SE

Post by KVDW »

Der_Kommissar1968 wrote: I'll take laws grounded in reason and in conformity with the Constitution.
i think Tobias provided you with some pretty sound "reasoning"..... but either you chose not to read it or you are like Paladin and are in.....

DENIAL !!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Try reading it thias time....

http://tech.mit.edu/V124/N5/kolasinski.5c.html

Der_Kommissar1968
JV Team

KVDW wrote:
Der_Kommissar1968 wrote: I'll take laws grounded in reason and in conformity with the Constitution.
i think Tobias provided you with some pretty sound "reasoning"..... but either you chose not to read it or you are like Paladin and are in.....

DENIAL !!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Try reading it thias time....

http://tech.mit.edu/V124/N5/kolasinski.5c.html
I did read tobias' post, but I don't think his analogies are appropriate. JChipwood touched on some of the flaws, so I won't repeat it. I don't think you're considering his analogy with a critical eye. That's not a knock against Tobias. He's a smart guy, and we all know that. I think though in this instance, his logic doesn't really follow. No offense Tobias . . . and I recognize that you would vehemently disagree with my assessment of your argument.

And if your only response is that I'm in denial, followed up by the 3 laughing faces, don't bother. If, instead, you want to explain why you think Tobias' analogy is logical, I'm more than happy to listen. But make it good.

Runner
SEO

Post by Runner »

Most of the people that support Gay marriages are either gay themselves, or have friends or family that are. Either way you look at it, they are in a small minority of the public.

Now groups like AARP are endorsing, supporting and donating its members money to those groups. Members have found out and have stopped there membership and also AARP memberships have dropped off do to this. The public has enough of their money going to these groups that should not receive it without members permissions or at least having a vote on it.

Chieftain
Varsity

Post by Chieftain »

Actually, people are dropping their membership in AARP because the organization is dropping support for a strong S.S. I'm a member and the folks I talk with that belong are like me-- outraged that an advocate organization would sell out to weaken S.S. I won't be renewing this year.

No one is upset about being in support of gay issues . The core advocate position was broken and people will leave in droves because of selling out on S.S., not gay issues.

Another conservative lie.

Runner
SEO

Post by Runner »

Paladin..you are a joke and many of your posts have proven it. There has been as many Liberals that have left AARP because of the gay supporting that they have admitted to. Believe it or not, they are people on BOTH sides of the fence that do support gays. You need to do a little reading on the situation before you spew your lies.

Chieftain
Varsity

Post by Chieftain »

Heres a link of just one of dozens you'll find on this issue with AARP. It never ceases to amaze me how easy it is for some of you folks to just outright lie. Hatred of gays must be pretty strong . The bottom line, this recent article has caught the furor over AARP gutting their core advocate program............. S. S. .................................... not gays. You are exposed AGAIN.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/roger-hic ... 79301.html

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

Most people that support gay marriage will say that no one has the right to ledgislate morality but they have no problem with ledgislation of immorality.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/05/ ... B520110521
Majority of Americans support gay marriage in poll
Fri May 20, 2011 10:26pm EDT

(Reuters) - Fifty-three percent of Americans support making gay marriage legal, a Gallup poll showed on Friday, a marked reversal from just a year ago when an equal majority opposed same-sex matrimony.

The latest Gallup findings are in line with two earlier national polls this spring that show support for legally recognized gay marriage has, in recent months, gained a newfound majority among Americans.

Gallup said Democrats and political independents accounted for the entire shift in its survey compared to last year, when only 44 percent of all respondents favored gay marriage, while 53 percent were opposed. The percentage of Republicans favoring same-sex matrimony held steady at 28 percent.

Same-sex marriage remains a highly contested issue in U.S. politics, but homosexual couples have won the right to legally wed in five states -- Massachusetts, Connecticut, Vermont, New Hampshire and Iowa -- and the District of Columbia. Gay couples have faced setbacks elsewhere, and no statewide initiative to legalize gay marriage has ever won a majority vote.

The growing support for gay marriage comes after President Barack Obama signed into law legislation in December to repeal the ban on openly gay men and women serving in the military under a 17-year-old law known as "Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

Gallup noted the policy change, but said it was unclear if that influenced Americans' attitudes about same-sex unions.

"The trend toward marriage equality is undeniable -- and irreversible," Joe Solmonese, president of the gay rights group Human Rights Campaign, said in a statement.

Maggie Gallagher, chairman of the National Organization for Marriage, said the poll shows her fellow opponents of gay matrimony have been "shamed" into silence.

"Polls are becoming very sensitive to wording, and the wording being used in the media are not predicting accurately what happens at the actual polls when people vote," she said.

In a sign of a generation gap, Gallup found 70 percent of respondents between the ages of 18 and 34 support gay marriage, compared to only 39 percent among those 55 and older.

A Washington Post/ABC News poll in March showed 53 percent of Americans said same-sex marriage should be legal, and 51 percent said the same thing in a CNN Poll released in April.

By comparison, a 1996 Gallup found that 68 percent of Americans were opposed to same-sex marriage, a figure that has trended downward ever since.

Twenty-nine states have adopted constitutional amendments restricting marriage as between a man and a woman, and 12 other states have passed laws to that effect, according to the Human Rights Campaign.

In Minnesota, a proposal to put a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage before voters in 2012 gained momentum this month when it passed the state Senate.

In a setback for gays and lesbians seeking marriage rights, 52 percent of California voters approved a constitutional amendment that banned same-sex marriage in 2008, months after the state's Supreme Court had legalized it. Passage of the ban, known as Proposition 8, was seen as particularly significant because of Californians' history of supporting liberal causes.

In 2010, a federal judge found Prop 8 unconstitutional, but his decision was blocked by the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals while the case remains under judicial review.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

In a sign of a generation gap, Gallup found 70 percent of respondents between the ages of 18 and 34 support gay marriage, compared to only 39 percent among those 55 and older.

A Washington Post/ABC News poll in March showed 53 percent of Americans said same-sex marriage should be legal, and 51 percent said the same thing in a CNN Poll released in April.

By comparison, a 1996 Gallup found that 68 percent of Americans were opposed to same-sex marriage, a figure that has trended downward ever since.
This is why it is inevitable that gay marriage will be legal when the younger generation becomes the older generation.

70% of people between the ages of 18-34 support gay marriage.

Every year a poll is taken on gay marriage, it gains more and more support each year.

Runner
SEO

Post by Runner »

When talking to people that had AARP in the past, they were asked why they dropped out of the program. The two most popular answers was because of the support of gays and the support of Obamacare. We DON"T need either of them. Both have messed up this country and will continue to do so.

Oh....and Paladin...your link from Huffington does not cut it. It INACCURATELY states from other media sources that AARP is not going to fight for Social Security. According to AARP, they ARE fighting to make SS stonger. http://www.aarp.org/about-aarp/press-ce ... urity.html

Care to try again Paladin? Keep them coming. Make yourself look more foolish than you have already :lol: I bet its possible!
Last edited by Runner on Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boonedawg
S

Post by Boonedawg »

NYBuckeye96 wrote:

This is why it is inevitable that gay marriage will be legal when the younger generation becomes the older generation.

70% of people between the ages of 18-34 support gay marriage.

Every year a poll is taken on gay marriage, it gains more and more support each year.
Just shows the indoctrination in the government schools is working...right beside the communist dumbing down of the kids so they will be good sheep and not balk at their masters.

Runner
SEO

Post by Runner »

Booney.....are you saying these younger people of today are being BRAINWASHED? According to Paladin, they are! :lol:

But of course Paladin and a few others will deny it on this matter since it is something THEY believe in :roll:

Der_Kommissar1968
JV Team

Tobias wrote:...and the Chinese and other peoples will continue to pass us by when they are concentrating on STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) and we are concerned about gay marriage...

:122246
I'd agree with that 100%. But who is making it such a big issue? The religious right is. Let them getting married, drop the issue, and get to the bigger task at hand.

Runner
SEO

Post by Runner »

Der_Kommissar1968 wrote:. But who is making it such a big issue? The religious right is. Let them getting married, drop the issue, and get to the bigger task at hand.
The right is? Come on now, you are making yourself sound as foolish as Paladin. It's always been the Liberals that have tried to force this issue down our throats. The want the gays to be able to get married so they can get government assistance...insurance or what not...that the rest of us must pay for. THEY chose their lifestyle. We didn't chose it for them. What gives them the right to force their lifestyle on us. Nothing!

Just BAN all gay marriages "drop the issue, and get to the bigger task at hand".

Der_Kommissar1968
JV Team

Runner wrote:
Der_Kommissar1968 wrote:. But who is making it such a big issue? The religious right is. Let them getting married, drop the issue, and get to the bigger task at hand.
The right is? Come on now, you are making yourself sound as foolish as Paladin. It's always been the Liberals that have tried to force this issue down our throats. The want the gays to be able to get married so they can get government assistance...insurance or what not...that the rest of us must pay for. THEY chose their lifestyle. We didn't chose it for them. What gives them the right to force their lifestyle on us. Nothing!

Just BAN all gay marriages "drop the issue, and get to the bigger task at hand".
It's being forced down your throat??? Did someone try to force you into a gay marriage??? You're being disengeuous. Your beef isn't with imaginary consequences that would flow from gay marriage. Your beef is with gays themselves. Why don't you just come out and say it. You despise gays and you don't want to give them any more right than you have to.

And incidentally, they don't choose their lifestyle anymore than you choose your hetero lifestyle. Could you, a hetero, choose to be gay? Didn't think so, neither could I.

Runner
SEO

Post by Runner »

Yes they chose their lifestyle. I know plenty of people who have gotten divorced from the opposite sex to lead into a gay relationship. Were they always gay? NO. Some of them I have known since I was a kid. They were NOT gay back then. They dated, slept with and even married the opposite sex and have kids. Being gay is something that they moved on to. This was a CHOICE THEY MADE. Am I still friends with them? Yes I am. They know that I do not like the idea, because it busted up some great relationships. They never do or say anything when they are around me, my family or my other friends that lets it out that they are gay. But most everyone knows they are. So you saying that I "despise" gays is a complete lie, which is not surprising coming from you. If I "despised" them I would not ever go around them.

Yes it is trying to forced on to us.......by the gay community and by the government.

Der_Kommissar1968
JV Team

Runner wrote:Yes they chose their lifestyle. I know plenty of people who have gotten divorced from the opposite sex to lead into a gay relationship. Were they always gay? NO. Some of them I have known since I was a kid. They were NOT gay back then. They dated, slept with and even married the opposite sex. Being gay is something that they moved on to. This was a CHOICE THEY MADE. Am I still friends with them? Yes I am. They know that I do not like the idea, because it busted up somew great relationships. They never do or say anything when they are around me, my family or my other friends that lets it out that they are gay. But most everyone knows they are. So you saying that I "despise" gays is a complete lie, which is not surprising coming from you. If I "despised" them I would not ever go around them.

Yes it is trying to forced on to us.......by the gay community and by the government.

Let me let you in on a secret. Your "formerly" straight friends who got married, had kids, and really seemed straight were gay all along. You can bank that. Don't be so naive. They were forced into the closet by people around them who wouldn't accept their lifestyle. And some friend you are. They get the pleasure of your company as long as they don't talk about "gay things." That's big of you. Do you have the same restrictions when you're around them? Can you freely talk about your straightness? No wonder they were closeted all these years.

As for your sham argument about gays being able to get married just to drink at the public trough on your dime, I'm married . . . where do I sign up for all that public assistance??? I'd like to get in on that action. Just how do you support this straight married man and his wife and kid? You don't, so you have to come up with a better reason. I won't hold my breath.

Runner
SEO

Post by Runner »

Just like Paladin, you are losing credibility with you thoughts.

Any of the people that I mentioned would be glad to tell you that it was their choice. Believe me, I have talked to them in the past and I know how they were before they changed and WHY they changed. You sir ...HAVE NOT!

Return to “The Off season”