Federal Money For Armed Guards In Schools? How About It?

General Chat
Kentucky Trojan
SE

Re: Federal Money For Armed Guards In Schools? How About It?

Post by Kentucky Trojan »

Mister B wrote:
Kentucky Trojan wrote:
Mister B wrote:Not in favor of armed guards in our schools.

Also not in favor of government funding paying for this.
Not one school shooting has occurred with an armed guard present at the school.

Case closed!
Columbine
I have proved this before to dazed&confused.....

....the guard was not on the school grounds at the time of the attack...

....he made it to the school and began his "security" from the parking lot...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/2 ... 47096.html

Gardner, seeing Harris working with his gun, leaned over the top of the car and fired four shots. He was 60 yards from the gunman. Harris spun hard to the right and Gardner momentarily thought he had hit him. Seconds later, Harris began shooting again at the deputy.

After the exchange of gunfire, Harris ran back into the building. Gardner was able to get on the police radio and called for assistance from other Sheriff’s units. "Shots in the building. I need someone in the south lot with me."

The second officer was Deputy Paul Smoker, a motorcycle patrolman who was near the school writing a speeding ticket. When he heard a dispatch of a woman injured at the high school, he responded. He, too, fired at Harris but didn't stop him.

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

Case proved, having an armed guard and even a cop nearby didn't stop this tragic event.

Armed guards stationed in our schools are not the answer.

A lock only keeps an honest man out.

A deranged person fears no lock and therefore an armed guard or guards will not stop this from happening again in the future.

Did not a deranged man shoot and kill soldiers on a Texas base and yet he still lives to stand trial?

Kentucky Trojan
SE

Mister B wrote:Case proved, having an armed guard and even a cop nearby didn't stop this tragic event.

A deranged person fears no lock and therefore an armed guard or guards will not stop this from happening again in the future.

Did not a deranged man shoot and kill soldiers on a Texas base and yet he still lives to stand trial?
Not nearby...in the building is the answer....this is what we have and it solves all problems.....

//////////////////////

You said it best...deranged man.......people kill people...therefore, we need armed guards as close as possible to the children...

......we have armed guards at government facilities such as the Social Security Office.....then why can't we have armed guards to protect our most precious commodity? -- our children!

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

Kentucky Trojan wrote:
Mister B wrote:Case proved, having an armed guard and even a cop nearby didn't stop this tragic event.

Not nearby...in the building is the answer....this is what we have and it solves all problems.....

//////////////////////

You said it best...deranged man.......people kill people...therefore, we need armed guards as close as possible to the children...

......we have armed guards at government facilities such as the Social Security Office.....then why can't we have armed guards to protect our most precious commodity? -- our children!
Why can't that be PART of the solution along with sensible gun regulation? I'm willing if you are.

Kentucky Trojan
SE

dazed&confused wrote:Why can't that be PART of the solution along with sensible gun regulation? I'm willing if you are.
When can we trust our government 100%?

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

I agree, protect the children.

However, I refuse to believe that we as a whole have gotten to the point that we need armed persons in our public schools.

Private schools can do what they want, IMHO.

I can just see an armed guard, after clearing background checks to get the job, suddenly snapping over something like a domestic issue and turning their gun, which was intended for protection, on a fellow worker, and completely losing it or taking hostages.

No, armed guards aren't my answer.

I do however, favor bullet proof window and doors and increased security such as metal detectors.

Kentucky Trojan
SE

Mister B wrote:I agree, protect the children.

However, I refuse to believe that we as a whole have gotten to the point that we need armed persons in our public schools.

I can just see an armed guard, after clearing background checks to get the job, suddenly snapping over something like a domestic issue and turning their gun, which was intended for protection, on a fellow worker, and completely losing it or taking hostages.

I do however, favor bullet proof window and doors and increased security such as metal detectors.
We have an armed guard in our public high school. Sometimes we have 2 of them.

They are highly respected by students, teachers, administrators, and parents.

Anybody could snap at any time while bringing a gun into a building. It wouldn't have to be an armed guard who snaps. Unbelievable!

I would be ok with the bullet proof windows and doors plus the metal detectors; however, there are many entrances and exits in every high school. You can't restrict access 100% of the time by establishing only these measures.

An armed guard is necessary in each school.

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

dazed&confused wrote:
Kentucky Trojan wrote:

//////////////////////

Why can't that be PART of the solution along with sensible gun regulation? I'm willing if you are.
Ok, now we have negotiations. Having discussions around what to do. Not like the NRA who says to do this.

I'm all in favor of sensible gun control. I don't want to give up my guns or my right to own certain guns. I see no need for an individual to have assault type weapons.

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

Kentucky Trojan wrote:
Mister B wrote:I agree, protect the children.

We have an armed guard in our public high school. Sometimes we have 2 of them.

They are highly respected by students, teachers, administrators, and parents.

Anybody could snap at any time while bringing a gun into a building. It wouldn't have to be an armed guard who snaps. Unbelievable!

I would be ok with the bullet proof windows and doors plus the metal detectors; however, there are many entrances and exits in every high school. You can't restrict access 100% of the time by establishing only these measures.

An armed guard is necessary in each school.
My local schools don't have armed guards in them.

Access can be restricted 100% of the time.

Kentucky Trojan
SE

Mister B wrote:I see no need for an individual to have assault type weapons.

Kentucky Trojan
SE

Mister B wrote:My local schools don't have armed guards in them.

Access can be restricted 100% of the time.
You are not living in reality.....

those of us who work in the education system know that entrances and exits cannot be stopped 100% of the time...

KVDW
SE

Post by KVDW »

most aren't living in reality. fact is, this type thing is never going to be stopped, at least by any means that we might think as reasonable attempts to stop them.... eg, armed guards etc.

and the attempt to ban "assault rifles" based on this tragedy is absurd as well. fact is, the shooter could have EASILY killed 20 of those little kids with either of the handguns he had with him in the three minutes they said the attack lasted.
in fact, he could have killed many more with a simple six shot revolver in that time frame. in a confined, highly populated space ( a classroom of small kids) it wouldn't be unthinkable to kill twice that many with just a six shot revolver.

which brings us to banning magazines of more than 10 rounds. again, ridiculous.
anybody familiar with guns at all knows how long it takes to eject an empty 10 round magazine and insert another fully loaded 10 round magazine.... 2-3 seconds max..... if you are exceptionally clumsy. so..... while you may be able to empty a 30 round clip in 7-8 seconds, it may take you a whopping 12-13 seconds to empty three 10 round clips... HUGE difference !! :roll: you could stack bodies 3 deep over the entire room in three minutes if you were so inclined.

this whole discussion, both here and in the media is totally ridiculous. as long as you have mentally unstable people and re-released hardened criminals roaming the streets, this type thing is going to occur. they WILL be able to get the weapons.

Kentucky Trojan
SE

KVDW wrote:most aren't living in reality. fact is, this type thing is never going to be stopped, at least by any means that we might think as reasonable attempts to stop them.... eg, armed guards etc.

and the attempt to ban "assault rifles" based on this tragedy is absurd as well. fact is, the shooter could have EASILY killed 20 of those little kids with either of the handguns he had with him in the three minutes they said the attack lasted.
in fact, he could have killed many more with a simple six shot revolver in that time frame. in a confined, highly populated space ( a classroom of small kids) it wouldn't be unthinkable to kill twice that many with just a six shot revolver.

which brings us to banning magazines of more than 10 rounds. again, ridiculous.
anybody familiar with guns at all knows how long it takes to eject an empty 10 round magazine and insert another fully loaded 10 round magazine.... 2-3 seconds max..... if you are exceptionally clumsy. so..... while you may be able to empty a 30 round clip in 7-8 seconds, it may take you a whopping 12-13 seconds to empty three 10 round clips... HUGE difference !! :roll: you could stack bodies 3 deep over the entire room in three minutes if you were so inclined.

this whole discussion, both here and in the media is totally ridiculous. as long as you have mentally unstable people and re-released hardened criminals roaming the streets, this type thing is going to occur. they WILL be able to get the weapons.
We need armed guards in each school.

Period!

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

I still like what the guys in TX said, when armed people come up against them, police or citizens, these guys just shoot themselves.

KVDW
SE

Post by KVDW »

Kentucky Trojan wrote:

Period!
so, get your brother-in-law a job and put him in there...... but i guarantee you he is not going to stop it. :lol:

Kentucky Trojan
SE

KVDW wrote:
Kentucky Trojan wrote:

Period!
so, get your brother-in-law a job and put him in there...... but i guarantee you he is not going to stop it. :lol:
I have no brother-in-laws, but the officer that we have at our school is most professional and can handle any situation that arises.

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

Some how, some of my posts get deleted. I guess my opinion doesn't count when if goes against someone else's opinion or view.

I will state again, my local school district and none in my county have armed guards in their school buildings.

A local police officer may make a patrol once in a great while but no armed guards are present when classes are in session.

Also, having an armed guard at Columbine did little to stop Harris and Klebold from their attacks and the armed guard, a sheriff's deputy, ate his lunch every day in the school cafeteria with the school's students. When the cafeteria bombs failed to go off, Harris and Klebold went to investigate and started their shooting rampage knowing that there was an armed deputy stationed in the building.

The point is, and you fail to understand this, is that there was an armed guard AND Harris and Klebold knew this but they didn't care and it didn't matter to them. They were hell bent on their plan.

Armed guards are not the answer. There is a better solution that involves improvement on many fronts.

These solutions need to be discussed.

Kentucky Trojan
SE

Mister B wrote:Some how, some of my posts get deleted. I guess my opinion doesn't count when if goes against someone else's opinion or view.

I will state again, my local school district and none in my county have armed guards in their school buildings.

A local police officer may make a patrol once in a great while but no armed guards are present when classes are in session.

Also, having an armed guard at Columbine did little to stop Harris and Klebold from their attacks and the armed guard, a sheriff's deputy, ate his lunch every day in the school cafeteria with the school's students. When the cafeteria bombs failed to go off, Harris and Klebold went to investigate and started their shooting rampage knowing that there was an armed deputy stationed in the building.

The point is, and you fail to understand this, is that there was an armed guard AND Harris and Klebold knew this but they didn't care and it didn't matter to them. They were hell bent on their plan.

Armed guards are not the answer. There is a better solution that involves improvement on many fronts.

Notice that neither of these armed guards were in the building where most of the shooting occurred. If a person had been armed in the library while these two were reloading or shooting at others, the story would be much different.

Period!!!!!

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Hey Barackula! you want us to provide funds to kill children but not to protect those already born either? Sad person you are Mr. Barackula

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Mister B wrote:Some how, some of my posts get deleted. I guess my opinion doesn't count when if goes against someone else's opinion or view.

More of the liberal's stuff you're spreading! the fact of the matter is...the deputy on the scene DID engage him early on and at the end with a gun battle..which saved NUMEROUS lives as he kept them occupied. I swear, the libs (NOT YOU but those who started that) who start this crap are like vermin in this nation!

On April 20, 1999, Neil Gardner, an armed sheriff's deputy who had been policing the school for almost two years, was eating lunch when Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold arrived at Columbine with their deadly arsenal and deadlier intentions.

Gardner said he got a call from a custodian that he was needed in the school's back parking lot. A few minutes later, he encountered Harris, and the two exchanged gunfire. The exchange with Harris lasted for an extended period of time, during which Harris' gun jammed.

The deputy and the backup he immediately called for exchanged fire with the shooters a second time and helped begin the evacuation of students, all before SWAT teams arrived, and before Harris and Klebold eventually killed themselves in the library.

Harris and Klebold also carried improvised explosive devices, some that detonated, others that didn't. One thing is certain — the armed resistance of Gardner and his backup bought time and saved lives.

There is no way of knowing how many lives were saved that day by an armed sheriff's deputy, and how many would have been slaughtered if nobody had been there with a gun at all.

Return to “The Off season”