May God Bless You!!
Portrait of Jesus will remain on display at Jackson City School
http://www.wowktv.com/story/20537651/po ... ity-school

(Sent from WOWK)

grndma1
SEOPS HO

Re: My Hat Off Standing Ovation - The Good People Of Jackso

Post by grndma1 »

So many people showed up at the school board meeting that they had to move it to the cafeteria at the high school. I know that by the time this whole thing is over, they will probably have to remove the picture, but it looks like a long battle coming our towns way, to keep it where it is. That picture has hung there since before I was even born, and everyone in town is discussing this issue, and according to the news, 95% of the town is backing our superintendent .

abuck76
SEOPS HO

Post by abuck76 »

I understand the emotions, but what if someone wanted to put up a picture of Buddha or Satan??............The Establishment Clause will ultimately be sustained..imho........ :12224

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

I also understand the support from the community needs to be taken into account. The problem is that school district is a public school supported not just by the local taxpayers but by state and federal funds. As such, it is a secular school, whose goal is to educate students in the practical arts and sciences. I would not have any problem with this in a parochial or private school, where there is a religious element to the education. It always seemed to me we should set aside a meditation room in the school but seperate from the main body where students can CHOOSE to pray and worship during appropriate times. I'm not trying to be popular with this post, just in line with the Constitution.

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

dazed&confused wrote:I also understand the support from the community needs to be taken into account. The problem is that school district is a public school supported not just by the local taxpayers but by state and federal funds. As such, it is a secular school, whose goal is to educate students in the practical arts and sciences. I would not have any problem with this in a parochial or private school, where there is a religious element to the education. It always seemed to me we should set aside a meditation room in the school but seperate from the main body where students can CHOOSE to pray and worship during appropriate times. I'm not trying to be popular with this post, just in line with the Constitution.
nice post.........

LucasJackson
Varsity

Post by LucasJackson »

Should schools with mascots by the name of Devils be made to change their names? It is a violation of church and state isn't it? I am in support of the school district as long as the citizens of Jackson are willing to put up the $$$ for the fight. The school district should not pay $.01 to fight this in court.

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

Dinocrocetti wrote:Should schools with mascots by the name of Devils be made to change their names? It is a violation of church and state isn't it? I am in support of the school district as long as the citizens of Jackson are willing to put up the $$$ for the fight. The school district should not pay $.01 to fight this in court.
My instinct says u r correct and my instinct also says regardless of who puts the cash up.......it will be for a lost cause.....
I also support the school district and the fine folks and friends from Jackson but again, i think in the end big brother will win the battle.........

JUST MY HONEST OPINION...........

grndma1
SEOPS HO

Post by grndma1 »

Superintendent Howard believes the district is not in violation of the Constitution because the picture was presented to the District by the Hi-Y club students. Because it is a student led presentation , it is permissible.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

This is another political thread laced with religion ( who would have thought). As usual, it mixes stubborn resistance to the Constitution and adherance to a chosen religion. The country was never founded as a "christian" nation. Promotion of symbols or messages of one religion violtae the Constitution. Nothing wrong with your PRIVATE practive of religion, but thats not whats going on here. Its simply more in your face promotion of one selected religion by a public body. The country wastes its time & resources trying to mullify those who profess to love the Constitution but spend lots of energy trying to break the Constitution. History books will well note the foolish nature of the times and the destruction that is ongoing by the "cultrural" war waged. For shame.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

3 CHEERS FOR THE FOLKS OF JACKSON, AND EVERYONE SUPPORTING THEM

:aaaaa41

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

I support the folks from Jackson. Besides how is a picture a private practice of religion? It's a picture of a historical person that helped shaped the world in which we live.

The liberals want to force students to listen to everything they say and people want to have a picture on a wall and they go crazy in fear. Maybe they are the ones wrong if they fear a picture?

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

grndma1 wrote:So many people showed up at the school board meeting that they had to move it to the cafeteria at the high school. I know that by the time this whole thing is over, they will probably have to remove the picture, but it looks like a long battle coming our towns way, to keep it where it is. That picture has hung there since before I was even born, and everyone in town is discussing this issue, and according to the news, 95% of the town is backing our superintendent .
That's great! Of course, this is going to get national media attention soon and we will see the ACLU and other atheist group pounce on it

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

abuck76 wrote:I understand the emotions, but what if someone wanted to put up a picture of Buddha or Satan??............The Establishment Clause will ultimately be sustained..imho........ :12224
There would be not much difference between Buddha or Mohammed. When one of those two get out of the grave and walk, then maybe they will put their picture on the wall too. In the meantime, you can visit their graves

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Paladin wrote:This is another political thread laced with religion ( who would have thought). As usual, it mixes stubborn resistance to the Constitution and adherance to a chosen religion. The country was never founded as a "christian" nation. Promotion of symbols or messages of one religion violtae the Constitution. Nothing wrong with your PRIVATE practive of religion, but thats not whats going on here. Its simply more in your face promotion of one selected religion by a public body. The country wastes its time & resources trying to mullify those who profess to love the Constitution but spend lots of energy trying to break the Constitution. History books will well note the foolish nature of the times and the destruction that is ongoing by the "cultrural" war waged. For shame.
First, how is it really laced with religion? Can you or anyone else name anyone whos had the huge impact that the life of Jesus Christ had on this world? In just 3 1/2 years He changed the way every body thinks and even our calendar. He is a true historical figure who has no peer. Not to mention, he is the only person who came out of the grave on his own volition!

Changed the way that men treat women, the way a child looks at her parents and a parent realizes obligation to their children from hearing his teaching..

Just last night someone sent me a little magazine that their child, who is in the secular school received. On it, it had an image of Barack Obama and it touted him in such a favorable light. No young child should be forced to be exposed to that man. Why do they allow that in the schools?

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

dazed&confused wrote:I also understand the support from the community needs to be taken into account. The problem is that school district is a public school supported not just by the local taxpayers but by state and federal funds. As such, it is a secular school, whose goal is to educate students in the practical arts and sciences. I would not have any problem with this in a parochial or private school, where there is a religious element to the education. It always seemed to me we should set aside a meditation room in the school but seperate from the main body where students can CHOOSE to pray and worship during appropriate times. I'm not trying to be popular with this post, just in line with the Constitution.
First... this is a well thought out post.....my hats off to you, d&c.
Second....whether the picture stays or goes, I applaud the school system of Jackson for letting the parents make the call on the picture. I know that before this is over, the ACLU and other groups will be all over this as unconstitutional and I do understand that point. However, I guess that I see it as a win cause the people made the decision, not the school board....the people. I just wonder if these groups that complain about its unconstitutionality would have the guts to complain if it were a picture of mohammed in a majority moslem neighborhood school. I know they wouldnt.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

That post is the perfect example of how sick the country is. Its infected with religious extremists. No one should be promoting ANY religion with the public -- christian, muslim , jew or anything else . But point out that its against the Constitution and people hurl invectives at other religions ( even though they are innocent of the charge). Got to hand it to the charlatans -- the grand scam of the world is religion. Sick religion.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

Paladin wrote:That post is the perfect example of how sick the country is. Its infected with religious extremists. No one should be promoting ANY religion with the public -- christian, muslim , jew or anything else . But point out that its against the Constitution and people hurl invectives at other religions ( even though they are innocent of the charge). Got to hand it to the charlatans -- the grand scam of the world is religion. Sick religion.

This is exactly whats wrong with America. People like you want Anericans to except any sick and perverted thing that you can think of, yet somebody puts a picture of Jesus up in a wall you go crazy. Its because liberals know their sick and perverted agenda is wrong and destroying America. Believing in Jesus whether or not they are Christians is dangerous to the liberals because they have no morals or ethics.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

To all Einsteins -- its called the Constitution. You "say" you love it................................ LOL !

Get with the program ! :lol:

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

Paladin wrote:That post is the perfect example of how sick the country is. Its infected with religious extremists. No one should be promoting ANY religion with the public -- christian, muslim , jew or anything else . But point out that its against the Constitution and people hurl invectives at other religions ( even though they are innocent of the charge). Got to hand it to the charlatans -- the grand scam of the world is religion. Sick religion.
I got the point that it is against the constitution. If you didnt get that from my post.... well then, you cant comprehend.
Plus, Im not attacking the moslem faith, just pointing out that the majority ofd these groups are afraid of faiths/ groups that will stand up to them. You are trying to change around what Im saying to fit your small minded little world where, in your head, you know all. Ive tried to debate with you politely and several times I allowed myself to get caught up in your attack and name-calling style. But I went back to trying to be polite to you and respect your opinion. That doesnt work with you cause there are some things I see diferently than you so, to you, Im an extremist. I dont vote party line so, to you, Im an idiot. Im not a registered dem, so, once again to you, Im a fool. So the best thing for me to do is just ignore a classic narcissist such as yourself. Im quite sure a living legend wont miss me one single bit.
Ignore list time.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

A lot has been said about the promoting of religion through this picture. My question is do the kids have to pray to this picture everyday? Do they have to walk by it everyday and stare at it for a few seconds as mandated by the school? Do kids get extra recess time by showing that picture to new people? Im trying to figure out how this picture promotes religion like you all are saying?

Return to “The Off season”