dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Surprise, Surprise, Surprise!

Post by dazed&confused »

Jim Nabors, Gomer Pyle on 'Andy Griffith Show,' marries partner of 38 years
By Kimberly Nordyke, The Hollywood Reporter
January 30, 2013, 5:48 am NBCNews.com

Shazam! Jim Nabors, best known for playing Gomer Pyle in "The Andy Griffith Show" and "Gomer Pyle, USMC," is a newlywed at age 82.

The actor married his longtime partner, Stan Cadwallader, 64, earlier this month, he told Hawaii News Now on Tuesday. The Honolulu-based couple, who have been together for 38 years, traveled to Washington -- where gay marriage became legal in December -- and were married at the Fairmont Olympic Hotel in Seattle.

"We've been together for 38 years, and I'm not ashamed of people knowing, it's just that it was such a personal thing, I didn't tell anybody," Nabors told the paper. "I'm very happy that I've had a partner of 38 years, and I feel very blessed. And, what can I tell you, I'm just very happy."

Nabors had never publicly acknowledged his homosexuality in the media but said he never really tried to keep it secret.

"I haven't ever made a public spectacle of it," he said. "Well, I've known since I was a child, so, come on. It's not that kind of a thing. I've never made a huge secret of it at all."

The couple met in 1975 when Cadwallader was a firefighter; he later worked for Nabors, and then they started dating.

Nabors originated the role of Gomer Pyle -- known for such catchphrases as "shazam," "surprise, surprise, surprise" and "golly" -- in the early '60s on "The Andy Griffith Show." After two seasons, the popular character was spun off into "Gomer Pyle, USMC," which lasted five seasons. He reprised the role for the 1986 TV movie "Return to Mayberry" and for the early-90s series "Hi Honey, I'm Home."

Nabors also made frequent appearances on such shows as "The Carol Burnett Show," "The Sonny and Cher Show" and "The Love Boat" and hosted his own series, "The Jim Nabors Hour," from 1969-71.

Nabors, who also is a singer known for his baritone voice, has recorded more than 25 albums and has performed in numerous musical theater productions.

OMG! How we gonna tell Andy and Aunt Bee! :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Re: Surprise, Surprise, Surprise!

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Aunt Bee didn't have kids of her own and she was never married. Maybe she was a lesbian! lol

I remember she went on dates with guys on the show, but maybe that was just a cover-up! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I seem to remember an episode where she had trouble making pickles. Sure sign of lesbianism! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

abuck76
SEOPS HO

Post by abuck76 »

This is a wonderful bit of news :122245 ...I am so happy for them :122245 ......God Bless and keep them safe :122245 ............... :12224

LucasJackson
Varsity

Post by LucasJackson »

abuck76 wrote:This is a wonderful bit of news :122245 ...I am so happy for them :122245 ......God Bless and keep them safe :122245 ............... :12224
Keep them safe from what? Lol.
I'm happy for both. They can now legally divorce

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

Barney: "Gomer, is that my pistol in your pocket?"
Gomer: "Suprise,suprise,suprise!"

SHAZAM

abuck76
SEOPS HO

Post by abuck76 »

Dinocrocetti wrote:
abuck76 wrote:This is a wonderful bit of news :122245 ...I am so happy for them :122245 ......God Bless and keep them safe :122245 ............... :12224
Keep them safe from what? Lol.
I'm happy for both. They can now legally divorce

From homophobes..........

LucasJackson
Varsity

Post by LucasJackson »

They have had a 38 year relationship. No one sees this as a surprise. I admire these two for not using this as a circus like many do. Two people who have lived together for 38 years got married. Not a big deal. Most people who didn't have head buried in the sand knew Nabors was gay 5 decades ago.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

how does them getting married protect them for people who are scared of gays ? ( BTW homophobes is an ignorant term)

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

I think about everyone loves Jim Nabors but he is NOT married to this man, it's not possible

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

my point is HOW does being married protect people from ignorance and intolerance ? Being ignorant back at them doesnt help ... and continuing to use the term " homophobe" is being ignorant back ... intolerant haters are not scared of gay people ... words mean things ..., the gay community wants to demonize those who dont agree on a biblical basis , thats why they continue to use that term .

KVDW
SE

Post by KVDW »

abuck76 wrote:This is a wonderful bit of news :122245 ...I am so happy for them
me too. i'm just so thrilled.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

I actually hope the day comes when this happens and it is not noteworthy. We have MUCH bigger fish to fry in this country.

LucasJackson
Varsity

Post by LucasJackson »

dazed&confused wrote:I actually hope the day comes when this happens and it is not noteworthy. We have MUCH bigger fish to fry in this country.

It's only noteworthy many times because gays want it noteworthy. I like that these two didn't call a press conference. They treated it as it should be. Just two people getting married. Long ago the sanctity of marriage was made into a chirade... Long before gays started getting married. Even the Christian church has about a 55% divorce rate.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Its news becuase even as the age becomes more enlighten, its still NOT legal to marry in some states and we have alot of bigots yet who stall and stand in the way of gays getting married.
The ignorants among us still make this an issue.

I agree and knew that Nabors was gay decades ago.

LucasJackson
Varsity

Post by LucasJackson »

I disagree that you are a biggot because you oppose gay marriage. Even Nabors admitted that they were getting married for health benefits. That being said, I don't oppose gay marriage. With more and more kids entering law school it will allow them added business opportunity as divorces will increase. In some way, that probably helps the economy :)

abuck76
SEOPS HO

Post by abuck76 »

KVDW wrote:
abuck76 wrote:This is a wonderful bit of news :122245 ...I am so happy for them
me too. i'm just so thrilled.

Well, good for you k.......I am proud of you :roll: .............. :12224

Return to “The Off season”