Obama to give Ohio State commencement speech

General Chat
Runner
SEO

Re: Obama to give Ohio State commencement speech

Post by Runner »

I have relatives attending OSU and two relatives on the staff. It's fairly easy to find things out that are going to go on there. It's not the first time that it will happen with Obama at the podium. It's happened everytime he has been there. This time is going to be no difference.

Baruch Spinoza
Waterboy

Post by Baruch Spinoza »

That does not make a great random sample, three people :roll: You seem to be a one sided thinker. These kind of protests are going to happen no matter who the President or speaker is. This is one of the largest stages for a protest. As an tOSU grad, I would be disappointed in the students if they did NOT protest. You do know dissent is patriotic. This will still be a once in a lifetime event for most attending, student and parent. Thank you Mr. President for choosing the greatest University in the world. We alumni support you. peace

Bryce
Freshman Team

Post by Bryce »

As an alumni, I along with many others are furious over the choice of Obama as the speaker. There has been many student protest already over the matter, starting back when his name was mentioned for the spot. They are planned to continue right up until and throughout the day the commencement take place. Ohio State University is not "Obama Country" yet they still try to force him on us.

As for Obama being received well in Columbus...well apparently you were not in the crowds. Remember how the media stated he had 13,000 in attendance when he kicked off his 2012 campaign at Ohio State? That would have been a "fairly decent" crowd if those numbers were correct. But of course the media lied to make it look good for him. The actual numbers were a little over 5000. I don't call that being very well received, and no one in their right mind would either.

Runner
SEO

Post by Runner »

Excellent point Bryce on the attendance. I remember watching the video from that day. The media never panned the so called 13000 people. But the pictures that hit the internet from that day really told the true story of how empty the Schott was.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

In 2002 former President George W. Bush was the commencement speaker. This was the last time the sitting president spoke at an OSU commencement. There were plenty of protest than.

Anytime you have a president speak at a commencement there will be protest. That's just reality.

The only thing we know for certain is that a majority of Ohio State students support President Obama. Along with a majority of Ohioans. :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Baruch Spinoza
Waterboy

Post by Baruch Spinoza »

Nice to meet you toast, as you are correct. Ohio State is very lucky and very proud to have a sitting President be the Commencement speaker. As an alum, I too am proud of this. Runner and Bryce, you do remember Obama won handily. peace

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

I have a relative graduating from OSU with a Masters Degree. In her grad program, she said its tradition not to go to graduation and hold their own ceremony. As soon as Obama was announced as the speaker, everyone in her grad program decided to have two ceremonies --- their traditional program-only ceremony AND going to the big graduation to hear Obama speak. She said since grads are only limited to 4 tickets, many are trying to hunt down extra tickets from those who may not be going or who need less than 4 tickets.

Sounds to me like there is a lot of excitement on the OSU campus. And there should be.........a vast majority of students voted for Obama.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

Hate should not be a political opinion!

Baruch Spinoza
Waterboy

Post by Baruch Spinoza »

I agree 100% . peace

Runner
SEO

Post by Runner »

dazed&confused wrote:Hate should not be a political opinion!
LOL....Preach that to the Dems on here :roll: :roll:

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

Runner wrote:
dazed&confused wrote:Hate should not be a political opinion!
LOL....Preach that to the Dems on here :roll: :roll:
Not a preacher! Are you? 8)

Runner
SEO

Post by Runner »

No I am not. But since the Dems on here seem to be the haters and always bring up racism to suit their needs, it seems like a good place to start.

Bryce
Freshman Team

Post by Bryce »

NYBuckeye96 wrote:Sounds to me like there is a lot of excitement on the OSU campus. And there should be.........
Just goes to show that you have not been campus lately.

Runner
SEO

Post by Runner »

I agree with your statement Bryce. Excitement is not what is going on up there by any means

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Bryce wrote:
NYBuckeye96 wrote:Sounds to me like there is a lot of excitement on the OSU campus. And there should be.........
If you only knew!! I think I have some credibility on this one.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Honestly, I think it was a bad choice myself. As much as I would really like to hear Obama speak, I think having him as the speaker takes away the focus from the students graduating and puts all the focus on him. This should be a day for the students who have busted their rear ends for the past 4 years and not about a political figure. Plus, I believe if it was anybody else the tickets would not be limited to just 4 per family. Just my opinion.

Bryce
Freshman Team

Post by Bryce »

NYBuckeye96 wrote:
Bryce wrote:
If you only knew!! I think I have some credibility on this one.
You think? LOL....I have been up there 2-3 days a week over the past month for one thing or another. Mainly over seeing some work that is being done on campus and other areas around town. I will be there off and on for the next month or so as well.

Keep trying!

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

I'm on campus 40 hours a week every week. You keep trying.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

NYBuckeye96 wrote:I'm on campus 40 hours a week every week. You keep trying.

Touche'!!

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Bryce is on something, but it might not be campus. LOL

Return to “The Off season”