Ohio Tax Return Verification

General Chat
Runner
SEO

Ohio Tax Return Verification

Post by Runner »

Beginning this year

After filing your Ohio Tax Return this year, expect a "randomly sent" letter in the mail to go online (or call) to verify yourself. If married, you and your spouse will both probably receive the letter and BOTH will have to answer a different set of questions. You will be given a Reference Number on the top right corner of the letter that must be entered along with your social security number and the amount of your State return. You will be given 4 questions. You MUST answer at least 3 of them correctly to be verified. If you fail to correctly answer enough questions, you will have to contact the State Department of Taxation. If you do not go online or call to verify yourself, you will not receive your tax return until you do so. Your 4 question will only be available for 60 days from the time the letter is dated.

The questions that I we had to answer was about ....what age group our kids fall into....what month they were born....the year of a vehicle that you own or use to own....what town you are associated with, what number represents your address.... among others questions. Each question has multiple choice options and the questions were not the same for me and my wife.

We got the letters yesterday. My divorced sister-in-law also got the letter today.

So far my single son and my single niece have not received the letters and they may not since they filed as single and have no dependents.
Last edited by Runner on Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: Ohio Tax Return Verification

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Runner, did you do your own taxes, or have them done at a taxation place?

Runner
SEO

Post by Runner »

I take them to a preparer

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

We did too, had to show our drivers license for proof, but I bet we still get a letter of verification. The lady at H&R Block told us there could be a delay on the State Tax, so I bet that's what she was referring to. Heard her say there was a lot of fraud last year or something.

Runner
SEO

Post by Runner »

We did not have to show an ID at the time of filing. But that is because we have been going there for years and no everyone that works there.

Our preparer said they were told that 90% of all of the fraud came from the Cincinnati, Columbus and Cleveland areas.

d-5
SEOPS HOF

Post by d-5 »

I also got the Verification letter Answered the 4 questions and now my return is being processesd.I e-file my own taxes and at first thought it was a waste of time but after reading of the state fraud returns from other states I guess not

Return to “The Off season”