Is adult recreation declining?

General Chat
MoneyBall44
Waterboy

Is adult recreation declining?

Post by MoneyBall44 »

I feel like in the 90's-early 2000's the typical male age 22-40 had his choice of sports activities to choose from outside of work. Nowadays I feel like those opportunities are all gone. Why has it dried up? Below are some examples that I just can't seem to find anymore. Someone can correct me if they are still big but I just don't think they are.

3 on 3 basketball tournaments in the summer - used to be Hoop It Up, Gus Macker, American Cancer Society, and a few others...now maybe only Macker left?

Slowpitch softball tournaments - there seemed to be 50+ team tournaments all over the state, USSSA and ASA both. Now it seems fields are mostly ghost towns on weekends...

Golf participation is in a big decline. People cite that it takes too long to play now. I think it's wives/girlfriends that don't allow the man of the house to be gone that long anymore...

Bowling leagues - just saw one the other day made up almost entirely of retirees. Is that the age to start now where it used to be anyone?

C-Bolt
SEOP

Re: Is adult recreation declining?

Post by C-Bolt »

Moneyball44 wrote:Golf participation is in a big decline. People cite that it takes too long to play now. I think it's wives/girlfriends that don't allow the man of the house to be gone that long anymore...
I have heard a lot of people say the demise of Tiger Woods has been the biggest factor for this, but I think it was starting to go down even before that, about when the stocks crashed back in 2008 is when I started noticing less people showing up at golf courses,which is a good thing for a hacker like me :lol:

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

I have noticed this happening off and on going back to the 70s.....it seem after so many years recreation goes down in some sports but will start up again after a few years. It just needs someone to get it going again and it will start off big and will drop off after several years. Just how thing go.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

C-Bolt wrote:
Moneyball44 wrote:Golf participation is in a big decline. People cite that it takes too long to play now. I think it's wives/girlfriends that don't allow the man of the house to be gone that long anymore...
I have heard a lot of people say the demise of Tiger Woods has been the biggest factor for this, but I think it was starting to go down even before that, about when the stocks crashed back in 2008 is when I started noticing less people showing up at golf courses,which is a good thing for a hacker like me :lol:
A lot of it is the prices to golf anymore. Some are ridiculous. The golf channel was talking about it awhile back, ridiculous coarse rules and pricing.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Not declining but changing interests. Lots of folks now are into biking and kayaking. Clubs for both up here and big numbers participating. I spent 3 years as the club President of the local canoe/kayak club and it attracts young & old. Trips are multi-state in scenic and adventurous surroundings on rivers . Biking on dedicated trails and in state parks quite popular.

The Oaf
SEO

Post by The Oaf »

Paladin wrote:Not declining but changing interests. Lots of folks now are into biking and kayaking. Clubs for both up here and big numbers participating. I spent 3 years as the club President of the local canoe/kayak club and it attracts young & old. Trips are multi-state in scenic and adventurous surroundings on rivers . Biking on dedicated trails and in state parks quite popular.

Now that's up $hit creek without a paddle!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Lots of pics on User Albums in upper left hand corner.

trumbullcanoetrails.org/

Return to “The Off season”