Has Scioto County schools ever thought of consolidation?

General Chat
Senatorz10
Freshman Team

Has Scioto County schools ever thought of consolidation?

Post by Senatorz10 »

I know Scioto County has a ton of High Schools

I know Clay and New Boston recently got new schools. But was that the best idea for the schools? or for Taxpayers?

If Scioto County would consolidate...

#1. Frankin Furnace Green and Wheelersburg. Green Schools are very out-dated. If they merged with Wheelersburg instead of raising taxes or getting grants for a new school. Go for a reduced tax rate, combine busses and use state grant/tax money to expand Wheelersburg schools.

#2. With New Boston consolidate them with Sciotoville East. I know East High School is also pretty out-dated. But they built a new Elementary School. Expand New Boston High and East Elementary. And combine busses. Use the grant/tax money to expand the schools.

#3. Clay I would of consolidated with Valley. And do the same things mentioned above. Expansion/Busses etc.

I know its far fetched. But this could help in economic times when Taxes/Levies are becoming overwhelming.

Your Thoughts?

Xtoxxviii
All State

Re: Has Scioto County schools ever thought of consolidation?

Post by Xtoxxviii »

Sounds good to me,
From financial stand point consolidation make sense.

I'm not familiar with scioto county schools but here in Ross County we missed the boat around a dozen years ago when the new construction/remodeling of all the schools in our county started. We should have consolidated.
We have 7 schools in Ross county ranging from small D1 to D4 in size.
In reality three mid to large size D2 schools would be more feasible.

You bring up a great point on how you would save money on bussing, administration and staff, kitchen, janitorial and maintenance staffs.
The consolidation of districts would also allow their education resources to be combined.
(More class options for students)

Of course there is down sides to consolidation but as levies/tax dollars come harder to get I think you will see more school districts and counties look into the possibilities of combining their resources to stay viable.
Last edited by Xtoxxviii on Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark May
Freshman Team

Post by Mark May »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that new elementary in Sciotoville part of the "Portsmouth City Schools"? Which means it's not part of Sciotoville Community/East.

Senatorz10
Freshman Team

Post by Senatorz10 »

Mark May wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that new elementary in Sciotoville part of the "Portsmouth City Schools"? Which means it's not part of Sciotoville Community/East.
Actually im not sure. I figured it was part of Sciotoville schools. Regardless. If it is or isnt, consolidation could help the schools out.

Mark May
Freshman Team

Post by Mark May »

East Portsmouth Elementary is a school in the Portsmouth City Schools and is located on Harding Avenue in Sciotoville.Sciotoville Elementary Academy is part of the Sciotoville Community School and is located on Third Street in Sciotoville.So there is indeed two different elementary schools in Sciotoville.The question is...Why did Portsmouth build a school in Sciotoville? Maybe in hopes of one day that would take over Sciotoville Comm. and have all those kids go to Portsmouth to Jr. and Sr.High?

Return to “The Off season”