Dave Letterman

General Chat
dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Dave Letterman

Post by dazed&confused »

For some of us, a generational icon has left the public stage. My parent's generation had Carson to watch and relate to on late night TV. While I too liked Carson, it was the irreverant Dave Letterman who touched a comic nerve I could appreciate. We had grown up with Vietnam and Watergate and were naturally cynical. The country had just come out of a nasty recession. We just didn't believe everything we were told and didn't have that naive belief that everything would be alright if we just toed the line. Dave's wisecracking, self-deprecating humor was just the right tone for the time. People forget how cutting edge Dave was when he came on. If you got it, it was like you were in on the joke. Dave didnt invent the late night talk show routine but he took it to another level. His comic timing and expressions have influenced everyone who followed from Jon Stewart to Jimmy Fallon.
We matured and so did Dave. He provided meaningful moments such as after 911. His "people" got day jobs and accumulated responsibilities so we couldn't watch like we used to. Dave maybe stayed on too long but we wouldn't abandon him. HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE TONIGHT SHOW HOST! Like so many things, you don't realize how much you'll miss it until it reaches the end. Dave has done a lot for the entertainment community but continues to downplay his part of that. He had a way of deflecting praise. It seemed as though flattery made him uncomfortable. But watching him was great because he was great at what he did and he obviously enjoyed doing it. I'm incredibly envious of him for that. Good night Dave. I'll miss you!
Last edited by dazed&confused on Wed May 27, 2015 8:18 am, edited 3 times in total.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: Dave Letterman

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Awesome post Dazed! I'm a big Letterman fan and I will miss him as well.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Didn't watch him too often but when I did I enjoyed it.

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

I didn't watch him much either, but wish I would have more.I know what dazed means by his knack for not absorbing praise and deflecting it.I did watch Hanna's last appearance recently and Hanna was shook up and crying at times.He will be missed.I loved that one show he had many years ago in the background a plane flying over dropped its engine on the ground,he had the funniest response to that!

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

I liked the ones where he dropped watermelons and other stuff off the roof top of the studio. Others I liked when he went out in the public to fast food drive thru's. He had a lot of good ones. Won't seem right with him not being on the tube. Millions will miss him.

Return to “The Off season”