The Great Backyard Bird Count

General Chat
ballparent
S

The Great Backyard Bird Count

Post by ballparent »

Since so many on the forum feed the birds and many other critters around their home I thought some of you might be interested in participating in the Great Backyard Bird Count. It will be held from February 15-18 so you have a while to get familiar with the site and tally forms. There are printable tally sheets to help you record your counts. All you have to do is enter your zip code to get a tally sheet that represents birds from your area. The tally sheets are great to get yourself familiar with different species too because each name of a species is linked to an information page and photo of that specific bird.
Here's the link:
http://www.birdsource.org/gbbc/howto.html
Also between now and January 15th residents are asked to report any Bald Eagle sightings. The Bald Eagle population in Ohio is increasing with sightings in Scioto County and we're hoping that soon they will be sighted in Lawrence County. Now is the Bald Eagle's time to move about and look for a mate and nesting site. They will most usually be seen around bodies of water. Don't always look for the prominant white head and tail feathers because they don't get these until they mature at around five years of age.
Here's the link to report if you're lucky enough to have a sighting:
http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/News/NewsReleaseArchivesII/tabid/19075/EntryID/312/Default.aspx

ballparent
S

Post by ballparent »

For those of you that are birdwatcher's anyway then help the DOW agents with their yearly count by familiarizing yourself with this site and the tally sheets.

ballparent
S

Post by ballparent »

It's this weekend. :)
Great Backyard Bird Count begins today
Feb 14, 2008 @ 10:56 PM
The Herald-Dispatch
NORTH AMERICA -- On your mark, get set, count.

The 11th annual Great Backyard Bird Count begins today and runs through Monday, Feb. 18, across North America.

You can count birds for as little as 15 minutes on one or more days of the count. Keep track of the highest number of each species you see at any one time (to avoid counting the same birds twice). Enter your tallies on the Great Backyard Bird Count Web site: http://www.birdcount.org.

Sponsored by the Cornell Lab of Ornithology vand the National Audubon Society, the Backyard Bird Count gives scientists a numerical snapshot of trends in bird populations and migratory patterns.

Pipestem Resort State Park in Pipestem, W.Va., is hosting a bird count weekend, according to park naturalist Jim Phillips, an avid birder who has participated in 36 bird counts himself.

"Many of our recreational activities have to be curtailed during the winter season because of the cold, but veteran birders look to winter as a time to renew acquaintances with species only seen during the winter months," Phillips said. "It also is an ideal time for beginning birders to gather with older birders like me to enjoy our feathered friends."

Phillips has scheduled multiple bird walks on this weekend at Pipestem Resort. His activity schedule is posted to http://www.pipestemresort.com.

For dozens of other outdoors stories and hundreds of outdoors events, go online at http://www.herald-dispatch.com. Click on sports, life or entertainment, and then click outdoors.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

FOR ANYBODY LISTENING, PIPESTEM STATE RESORT IS AMAZING. BEEN THERE. DEER EVERYWHERE. WALKING AROUND BESIDE YOUR HOTEL ROOM, BEATIFUL LAKE AND GOLF COURSE. HORSEBACK RIDING. A MOUNTAIN TRAM, EXCELLENT FOOD. IT'S A GREAT GETAWAY. PROBABLY 3 HOURS OR SO FROM IRONTON, IN WEST VIRGINIA. :-D

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

does this count, is anybody missing a green parakeet in this area. because i was looking out the back door watching all the birds. and noticed a green bird eating thistle with my finches. and also birdseed. i got out my binoculars, and sure as can be it was a green parakeet, it'll never last in this weather. i tryed to click a picture of it , through the patio door, but the dang camera was outta film, please the person that takes the last picture, replace the film. there will be a family meeting tonight. also saw a coyote on top of kitts hill last night, across from mamre church. but those don't count in a bird contest.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

my kitty about broke his neck this morning jumping in the window to see the blue jay that flew by :shock: :lol:

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you're up to."

"Remember this, the choices you make in life, make you"

- John Wooden

"Champions never complain, they are too busy getting better."

- unknown

ballparent
S

Post by ballparent »

Posted this and didn't count a stink'in bird. You're supposed to count for fifteen minutes but they're everywhere and I know I'd be re-counting so I was no help. :? But I did feed them. :)

JHS4EVER
JV Team

Post by JHS4EVER »

Go to the Ironton-Russell bridge and let the falcons chase you away!

ballparent
S

Post by ballparent »

JHS4EVER wrote:Go to the Ironton-Russell bridge and let the falcons chase you away!

Hey :lol: they would have been easy to count. Total count - 2

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

my kitty as I type :lol: you should see his tail as the birds fly by or settle in the bushes outside the kids bedroom :lol:

- John Wooden

- unknown

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

You're Tiger Bait wrote:does this count, is anybody missing a green parakeet in this area. because i was looking out the back door watching all the birds. and noticed a green bird eating thistle with my finches. and also birdseed. i got out my binoculars, and sure as can be it was a green parakeet, it'll never last in this weather. i tryed to click a picture of it , through the patio door, but the dang camera was outta film, please the person that takes the last picture, replace the film. there will be a family meeting tonight. also saw a coyote on top of kitts hill last night, across from mamre church. but those don't count in a bird contest.

FILM???? :shock:

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

biggdowgg wrote:
You're Tiger Bait wrote:does this count, is anybody missing a green parakeet in this area. because i was looking out the back door watching all the birds. and noticed a green bird eating thistle with my finches. and also birdseed. i got out my binoculars, and sure as can be it was a green parakeet, it'll never last in this weather. i tryed to click a picture of it , through the patio door, but the dang camera was outta film, please the person that takes the last picture, replace the film. there will be a family meeting tonight. also saw a coyote on top of kitts hill last night, across from mamre church. but those don't count in a bird contest.

he's still in the dark ages :shock: with my parents who finally gave up their 110 and graduated to a 35 mm :shock:

- John Wooden

- unknown

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

orange-n-brown 365 wrote:
biggdowgg wrote:

he's still in the dark ages :shock: with my parents who finally gave up their 110 and graduated to a 35 mm :shock:

hes probably out of those little flash bulbs to :lol:

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

I seen a Blue Jay yesterday out on 328

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Orange and Brown wrote:I seen a Blue Jay yesterday out on 328

which part Hocking County part or Vinton county part :-D

- John Wooden

- unknown

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Re: The Great Backyard Bird Count

i have a 35mm, but with part of our income tax, we purchased a digital camera, i want to learn to post pictures. some unbelievable animal stuff happens here, it will store 800 pictures in it. now to figure out how to get some here. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Return to “The Off season”