Born in a Slum

General Chat
noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Born in a Slum

Post by noreply66 »

As the poor in Africa and Asia move to cities, the population of urban slums through out the world has grown to 1 billion. Of the children born in 2008, one in three will be born in a slum.

The Atlantic Monthly

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Boonedawg
S

Post by Boonedawg »

eeehhhhh this means what?

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
~Patrick Henry
TheMalteseFalcon
All Conference

Post by TheMalteseFalcon »

If they hadn't moved to cities, what would you call where they were born?
I'm with Boonedawg, what does this declaration mean??

Home of the Atlanta Falcons.
NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Slums have a high prevalence of disease. Many of the children die because they sleep on the floor. The same dirt floor that the family residents use as a restroom. And the same floor that rats and rat droppings are found on. People who live in these conditions often become sick and can die if they do not receive medical attention, and many do not because they cannot afford it. The children and elderly are particularly effected by this.

The families go to the big cities in hopes of finding work. They pick up everything they have - which is not much to begin with - and move to the urban areas. They literally move to the outer belt of the cities and build their own little slum house, often out of cardboard, sticks, and mud. The cities in poverty nations are exploding in population because of this. However, the cities do not have the proper infrastructure to handle these new residents. So, the cities grow literally by outer belts of slum homes.

If they cannot find work in the large cities, the fathers often come to the United States in search of work and then send most of their earnings home to their families. Many countries in Central America depend on this money. In Honduras, a country I had the opportunity to study abroad in, money sent home to Honduras from relatives who work abroad is the second highest contributor to the Honduran economy. Around 80% of those abroad are working in the United States, this includes both legal and illegal immigrants, but most are illegal. The number one contributor to the Honduran economy is the selling of illegal drugs.

If the Honduran economy had to depend on legal work conducted in the nation of Honduras, their economy, and government, would collapse as things exist today. The US would have to increase aid by billions of dollars to Honduras (plus many other nations as well) if we did away with all illegal immigrants working in the US. The little wealth their government generates is lost to corruption within their political system.

Boonedawg
S

Post by Boonedawg »

Build the fence.

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
~Patrick Henry
Stewy
Waterboy

Post by Stewy »

I work in the construction industry in Columbus. Without the Latinos I dont know who would do the work. But they need to be legal and pay taxes the same as everyone else. If they pay, let them stay!!!

BTW: Why would we need to up our aid to anyone? WE GIVE PLENTY!!!

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

Boonedawg wrote:Build the fence.
" If you build it they won't come" AMEN ----build the dang fence ----with the purpose to CONTROL our borders and keep track of who we do let in. NOT to lock everyone out !!!!! Which is what the libs will accuse the coldhearted conservatives of ! MD

I'll anwser the question of why this declaration was made by No Reply ---so he can proclaim how bad the US is by not helping enough . MD

Liberal:(n) A person so open minded their brains fell out .
Boonedawg
S

Post by Boonedawg »

Elect me presiden't and i'll not only build the fence and cut off aid, I'll build hydro electric dams just to power the fence. then the deportations will commence.

~Patrick Henry
Eagle82
All Conference

Post by Eagle82 »

Stewy wrote:I work in the construction industry in Columbus. Without the Latinos I dont know who would do the work. But they need to be legal and pay taxes the same as everyone else. If they pay, let them stay!!!

BTW: Why would we need to up our aid to anyone? WE GIVE PLENTY!!!

Wow, where are all the young American males for this work?

Stewy
Waterboy

Post by Stewy »

Working at Starbucks!!! They dont want to get up at 6:00 am and get there hands dirty!!!

Most of the young American males that work construction up here are from Southern Ohio or some other rural area
Last edited by Stewy on Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheMalteseFalcon
All Conference

Stewy wrote:Working at Starbucks!!! They dont want to get up at 6:00 am and get there hands dirty!!!

Amen, Stewy. No work ethic at all for the young ones any more. They are too accustomed to having everything handed to them.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

No... I think that you people are forgetting that lots of young kids these days are being fed the idea that you have to go to college to get a "real" job or a career that you can afford to have. American kids are a victim of society's idea of "success".
As for construction, this is one American kid who would love to get out of this area and have a decent job like that and live in Columbus. I know there are lots of kids around here who can't afford to go to college and it just isn't an option to them.... that's the way it is with lots of latinos, so they work their asses off, just like a lot of kids out of high school....

TheMalteseFalcon
All Conference

fuzzhead wrote:No... I think that you people are forgetting that lots of young kids these days are being fed the idea that you have to go to college to get a "real" job or a career that you can afford to have. American kids are a victim of society's idea of "success".
As for construction, this is one American kid who would love to get out of this area and have a decent job like that and live in Columbus. I know there are lots of kids around here who can't afford to go to college and it just isn't an option to them.... that's the way it is with lots of latinos, so they work their asses off, just like a lot of kids out of high school....

What does you ability (or inability) to go to college have to do with your work ethic?

bucking red
Varsity

Post by bucking red »

Stewy how much do they get paid?

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Re: Born in a Slum

Post by kantuckyII »

For newarkcatholicfan

Return to “The Off season”