Are uniforms at public schools a good idea?

General Chat

are uniforms good for your kids?

Total votes: 0

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Docker type pants for the boys, either in brown or brown..light colored polo shirts (all the same color throughout the nation to keep moron kids from killing each other of their colors) and wing tip shoes for the boys.

For the girls, skirts that are 2 inches below the knees..baggy shirts and knee socks

TheMalteseFalcon
All Conference

Post by TheMalteseFalcon »

Brutus8907 wrote:oh believe me, i fully understand the phrase "very poor." sounds to me that somebody is way too quick to jump on the age bashing bandwagon and didnt take the time to realize that they really dont know this person and therefore doesnt know what this person may or may not have experienced. grow up.

The "very poor" people I've known couldn't afford any shoes at all, much less where to find the 'best deal' on Nikes. I've actually seen kids stand barefoot in the snow to catch the school bus. Wise up.

Home of the Atlanta Falcons.
orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

my dad wore his brothers worn out air force shoes with cardboard in the insoles when they got holes in them.. Some days they had something to eat and some days they didn't!

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you're up to."

"Remember this, the choices you make in life, make you"

- John Wooden

"Champions never complain, they are too busy getting better."

- unknown

Rhiannon
All Conference

Post by Rhiannon »

Boonedawg wrote:Well, it would get rid of any abuse some kids have to take because their families can't afford the name brands. Kids are cruel to each other, this would give them a few less things to pick on others about.

You are 100% correct. As a teacher I see this all the time.
Sometimes it would be a good idea for teachers to have uniforms as well.

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

Rhiannon wrote:
Boonedawg wrote:Well, it would get rid of any abuse some kids have to take because their families can't afford the name brands. Kids are cruel to each other, this would give them a few less things to pick on others about.

You are 100% correct. As a teacher I see this all the time.
Sometimes it would be a good idea for teachers to have uniforms as well.

hmm never thought of that one but you are right that would be nice :-D

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you're up to."

"Remember this, the choices you make in life, make you"

- John Wooden

"Champions never complain, they are too busy getting better."

- unknown

jbl
Waterboy

Post by jbl »

I have a friend who teaches in a school where they went to uniforms 10-15 years ago: khakis and polos with the school name on them. Although teachers aren't required to wear them, she does. She says it's much easier for her to get dressed that way. She also says it's been MUCH cheaper buying them for herself and her kids than buying enough of everything else to wear would have been. The kids still manage to "express their individuality" with how they dress outside of school time.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

TheMalteseFalcon was so poor when he was a kid that the only thing he ever had to wear was hand me downs. It was tough too as he was the baby and the only boy in the family!

Landstuhl78
Waterboy

Post by Landstuhl78 »

This is stupid. You are trying to take away the kids right to individuality and freely express himself. The picking and nagging isn't going to stop no matter how much you would want it too. They still would have to drive a less than rich people would accept car or not have a cell phone. Everyone would still know that the kid is poor. It doesn't change anything other than your pissing off a lot of adolescent kids.

TheMalteseFalcon
All Conference

Landstuhl78 wrote:It doesn't change anything other than your pissing off a lot of adolescent kids.

Big deal. :roll:

Brutus8907
All State

Post by Brutus8907 »

yeah, who cares. as long as it doesnt effect you, screw everybody else right? :roll:

jbl
Waterboy

Post by jbl »

Brutus8907 wrote:yeah, who cares. as long as it doesnt effect you, screw everybody else right? :roll:

:roll: All rules and restrictions p*ss off teenagers.

TheMalteseFalcon
All Conference

Brutus8907 wrote:yeah, who cares. as long as it doesnt effect you, screw everybody else right? :roll:

No, just the whiny-asssed kids.

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

for the topic yes,

do I care what my kids think on the issue, no.

I am the parent and I will not let my kids tell me how they will dress, school uniforms would be great, think of it this way, school uniforms handle alot of issues at once, first is the everyone looks alike which has been tackled on here, second is the safety issue, have you seen some of the stuff our kids are wearing these days, no wonder they are able to get guns, drugs and who knows what else into school, with a school uniform everything is simple and there are not 10,000 pockets to put stuff into.

The Instructor
SEOPS Hippo

Post by The Instructor »

These days, kids have too much freedom.

I am all for having a strict dress code.

Uniforms don't have to be the kind you see on TV shows.

A uniform can be khaki pants, a school shirt with some kind of emblem, black shoes, a belt, etc.

Philos_Finest
All Conference

Post by Philos_Finest »

Will never happen around here no matter how much you want it to.

Personally, i wouldn't wear them, ever, i would take the consequnces day in & day out, every day. The schools should be more worried about our studies than how everyone looks.

If you make kids wear uniforms, you better get the kids with acne, acne medicine while you are at. Because we want every kid to be politically correct & look like everybody else. They should also hire a school hair stylist for a cut every week. We should also get everyone varsity jackets as to not set apart the "jocks" from the "nerds". Or, better yet, get Nerd Jackets & instead of letters to put on them, buy them new glasses. Also, cancel all of the award banquets because we don't want to make anyone sad because they didn't get invited & piss off their parents because they think they didn't get invited because their poor. If anyone of you that said you were for it actually went to High School these days you would know, kids don't get picked on because of what they wear or don't wear.

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

Philos_Finest wrote:Will never happen around here no matter how much you want it to.

Personally, i wouldn't wear them, ever, i would take the consequnces day in & day out, every day. The schools should be more worried about our studies than how everyone looks.

If you make kids wear uniforms, you better get the kids with acne, acne medicine while you are at. Because we want every kid to be politically correct & look like everybody else. They should also hire a school hair stylist for a cut every week. We should also get everyone varsity jackets as to not set apart the "jocks" from the "nerds". Or, better yet, get Nerd Jackets & instead of letters to put on them, buy them new glasses. Also, cancel all of the award banquets because we don't want to make anyone sad because they didn't get invited & piss off their parents because they think they didn't get invited because their poor. If anyone of you that said you were for it actually went to High School these days you would know, kids don't get picked on because of what they wear or don't wear.

first off I haven't been out of school that long so I know what is going on inside our school systems, and to say that kids are not getting picked on for clothes is totally stupid. If I remember correctly the kids at columbine and everyother school shooting that has happened in the last decade was because the kids got picked on for how they looked and how they lived their lives, and I take objection to anyone who disagrees that school uniforms would not be a good idea. As for the letting kids be individual's excuse, be individuals on the weekend, you don't go to school to be individuals, or as in the old fresh prince song,"you go to school to learn not for a fashion show"(someone was going to use it sooner or later), and in this day of school shootings, school districts are doing everything they can to show parents that there school is safe and in a way school uniforms are one way schools can show that they are safe and a top school to learn in. So if it would ever happen in this area and uniforms were mandatory all I have to say to the kids out there is SUCK IT UP, SHUT IT UP AND PUT ON YOUR DARN UNIFORM,

Brutus8907
All State

Post by Brutus8907 »

you're not far out of school? i'm one year removed from high school. that being said, let me reiterate the fact that kids pick on eachother for one reason or another. take away their different clothing, it'll be their car or their hair. so again, why take away their individualality and make such a ruckus (because a lot of parents arent going to like it either) in what's going to be a failed attempt to prevent the inevitable?

TheMalteseFalcon
All Conference

Brutus8907 wrote: so again, why take away their individualality

Individualality (sic) ???? Every kid I see has on baggy jeans with holes in them. I guess where the holes are located makes them individuals.

Brutus8907
All State

Post by Brutus8907 »

personally i think buying jeans with holes in them is the dumbest thing somebody can do. that makes me an individual, different from "every kid you see."

Return to “The Off season”