ANSWER THIS VERY HARD QUESTION FOR ME.

General Chat
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

ANSWER THIS VERY HARD QUESTION FOR ME.

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

THIS HAS LONG BEEN ON MY MIND. THESE COMMERCIALS KILL ME, AND I WANT TO KNOW WHAT PEOPLE ARE THINKING.

a commercial comes on , it is about starving children worldwide. saying they live in slums, can't afford shoes or food. this tears my soul out. and i wish that i could solve the problem myself. but we have the same problem in our own united states of america. people without health care, homeless, starving, no shoes , or proper clothing. ophaned children, foster kids, which we did, and adopted a son. whats a person to do. i feel the united states is already policing the world. in the name of god , and the strife for peace. but our children are getting killed, protecting the world.

they show families that have lost child after child to starvation, but they know how this happens, abstain from sex. get aid to the females, so they can have no more babies, perhaps some sort of shot. they can't afford to feed their kids , but keep popping them out. when we have all the children we can afford, we quit having them. i don't mean to sound cruel, i'm a christian, and these commercials bother me, to the point , that i have to change channels or not look. but i believe charity begins at home. matina cbride has a new song and video out, wher a women walks around new york city, asking them to write down, on this huge paper pad, their 1 wish, or what they would like to see happen. it's really neat the responses. i also watch the animal planet a lot. the SPCA(HUMANE SOCIETY )needs help , and donations , they are non-profit, and do amazing work. is it wrong i feel more compelled to send money there to help. which i don't , but have raised countless stray animals, or animals that were dropped off , by owners who no longer wanted them. i would really like others opinions on this, as i feel terrible for avoiding these commercials. but i frankly think america is spread to thin anyway. and feel our troops would be better served here, fighting illegal immigration, and patrolling our borders. and help keeping business's here. though i'm extremely prideful of our armed forces, and what they do , for our freedom. WHAT SAY YOU. YTB.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
mstangmom
SEOPS HOF

Post by mstangmom »

I have always said that we need to take care of our own first then worry about the rest of the world.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

I agree we need to take care of our own first but that does not get this country to world wide pub we seem to want so much.

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

I've always thought charity begins at home, if you look at some of those regions it's due to war, so in a way they are causing there own starvation

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

Tobias wrote:NIV

John 12:1-8

Jesus Anointed at Bethany

1Six days before the Passover, Jesus arrived at Bethany, where Lazarus lived, whom Jesus had raised from the dead. 2Here a dinner was given in Jesus' honor. Martha served, while Lazarus was among those reclining at the table with him. 3Then Mary took about a pint of pure nard, an expensive perfume; she poured it on Jesus' feet and wiped his feet with her hair. And the house was filled with the fragrance of the perfume.

4But one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, who was later to betray him, objected, 5"Why wasn't this perfume sold and the money given to the poor? It was worth a year's wages." 6He did not say this because he cared about the poor but because

he was a thief; as keeper of the money bag, he used to help himself to what was put into it.

7"Leave her alone," Jesus replied. " It was intended that she should save this perfume for the day of my burial. 8You will always have the poor among you, but you will not always have me."

King James Version

John 12:1-8

1Then Jesus six days before the passover came to Bethany, where Lazarus was, which had been dead, whom he raised from the dead.
2There they made him a supper; and Martha served: but Lazarus was one of them that sat at the table with him.
3Then took Mary a pound of ointment of spikenard, very costly, and anointed the feet of Jesus, and wiped his feet with her hair: and the house was filled with the odour of the ointment.
4Then saith one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, Simon's son, which should betray him,
5Why was not this ointment sold for three hundred pence, and given to the poor?
6This he said, not that he cared for the poor; but because he was a thief, and had the bag, and bare what was put therein.
7Then said Jesus, Let her alone: against the day of my burying hath she kept this.
8For the poor always ye have with you; but me ye have not always.

you beat me to it tobias I'm proud of you ;-)

What commerical gets me the most is the one that comes on and says such and such has donated thousands of pounds of rice and we need to get it shipped to blah blah asap with your $$ well shoot they have been running the same dang commercial for a year those poor kids are probably dead

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you're up to."

"Remember this, the choices you make in life, make you"

- John Wooden

"Champions never complain, they are too busy getting better."

- unknown

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

You're Tiger Bait, I understand what you are saying and agree with it for the most part. It is natural for us to take care of our own poor and those who may be down on their luck.

I also look at this from another point of view. We are blessed to live in the United States of America. The land of opportunity. While an American citizen may be down on his luck from time to time, that citizen - over the course of a lifetime - will have several opportunities and chances to improve his or her own life. Citizens in third world countries do not have this opportunity available to them.

In a way, and I don't mean for this to sound heartless, but in a way, I think many Americans have wasted opportunities that they could have had in their lives. Opportunities that citizens of third world countries only can dream of having available to them.

Many children in America complain about going to school and having too much homework, while many children, particularly girls, in third-world countries can only dream of attending a school and getting an education.

Again, I know that Americans can be down on their luck from time to time, particularly when jobs are eliminated. For these citizens, I truly feel sorry for them and wish they could find employment that payed as much money as the jobs they lose. I also feel sorry for the children in poverty because it is not the children's fault of the circumstances of their upbringing. However, it is hard for me to feel sorry for some Americans - adult Americans - who have wasted so much opportunity in their lifetime...opportunity that people in third-world countries only can dream of.

Concerning the commercials on TV you mentioned, I too am troubled by them. My main concern is that donation money may not end up where they say it will end up. If I were to donate $50 to a cause, I would want every penny of that money to go to that cause. I have trouble with people profiting off of the misfortunes of others.

Despite the problems that exist in the United States, we really are fortunate to live here and we have so many more opportunities than people in third-world countries have. For this reason, I am glad so many Americans donate either money, clothes, or whatever to the poor citizens of third-world countries. Perhaps one day some of these people will have some of the same opportunities that many Americans either take advantage of - or even worse - opportunities that many Americans let pass them by.

mvlnewlex
All Conference

Post by mvlnewlex »

a poor guy in America lives in luxery compared to a poor guy in Africa.

The welfare state is the problem here in the USA.

valleyfan07
Varsity

Post by valleyfan07 »

YTB,

I agree with you completely. I have always said people need to take responsibility for their actions. Of course when you say that in the states people tend to call you judgemental when you disagree that people shouldn't be handed welfare just to keep having kids. I don't know what makes people in the US think they are any better than the next country.

Baby Duck
Freshman Team

Post by Baby Duck »

I think the hole government is screwed up. Nothing makes sense to me.

SEOP
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

these are very decent and heartfelt replies to my question, i'm sure this situation has made every american feel i should help. i knew when i posted this it would be often viewed , BUT SELDOM ANSWERED. thank you to the few who have answered, is it our insecurities about what will people think, if i answer. is YTB a madman, for bringibg up such a taboo topic.

I'VE ALWAYS BEEN TOLD, THE ONLY STUPID QUESTION, IS THE ONE YOU DON'T ASK. and this situation bothers me, and i need my friends, more of you to respond. i'm past worrying about what people think is politically correct to ask, and not. if i want to find out i'll ask. while it may offend some, it may interest others. it was hard enough for me to ask a question like this, please take time to respond. no one will think less of you for it. we can't hide behind the question, or problem, but can it really be fixed, i mean if you have 17 kids, they'd be nearly impossible to feed here. much less in 3rd world countries. PLEASE EASE MY MIND BY RESPONDING, WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS. AND THANKS AGAIN TO THOSE WHO HAVE RESPONDED. it meant a lot to me. and i know we live in the greatest country in the world , and have more opportunities than anyone. and we are wasteful. watch people eat at a buffet , just once. it's amazing the waste. but i've not heard enough variety of responses. and though i've read the bible verses, and understand. i'd like a laymen's term description of exactly what was the response, i'm somewhat puzzled. heck, we have fun on here everyday. just promise to respond to this topic, before you log off , next visit. there are certain peoples reponses i'm really waiting on. YTB.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

NEED MORE IMPUT PLEASE. ;-)

mstangmom
SEOPS HOF

Post by mstangmom »

Heres the thing YTB in america it costs more to help people.

We have regulations on water, electricity, food and such

In the third world countiries they show on tv it does not cost as much because they do not have those regulations.

However you have to remember, it costs money to hire people to help them so while they say 60 cents a day to help a child I would bet thqat 50 cent of that is going to employees.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

i saw a commercial on tv one time, we had pallets and pallets of grain , we were shipping to russia and africa. i don't know what all the products were that were bundled, but it was a massive amount of food. it had been unloade onto a shipping dock. i don't know if the original ship was full, or what. but it had been there for some time , they stated, it was totally infested with rats, mice and scavenger birds. they showed them on tv, i don't know if it was a hidden camera, or not. but a dock employee was made to shove it in the ocean, with a backhoe, i was appalled by this. this has been some years back.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

I say do whats in your heart. It sounds like you have a big heart so pray on it and god will give you the answer. I know its not a big explanation but it is the best one I have. :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!

Return to “The Off season”