Are Truckers going on strike??

General Chat
Philly
All Conference

Are Truckers going on strike??

Post by Philly »

A friend, who has been a long time Trucker, has told me to stock up on things as a strike will happen within the next 2 weeks. Now, I am not saying this will happen. I am just asking if anyone else has heard this? Man, this will really put a crunch on us, but the gas prices are going way too high for the truckers to work.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Re: Are Truckers going on strike??

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

I deal with truck drivers every day in my job and they are all complaining about the price of fuel, so it wouldn't surprise me to see it happen. The thing is though, will it really accomplish anything other than making things worse since it will bring almost all deliveries to a stand still. That means things will get scarce and the prices will go up on everything we buy, including fuel since it too is transported by tanker truck.

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

heard on the news that yesterday they had thought about it..
when the hubby listens to other on cb he hasn't heard anything up towards coshocton

Philly
All Conference

Post by Philly »

My friend says that he was called while on the road and was told that it would happen...told me to stock up on stuff!!! Well this girl is stocking up on Toliet paper and soap!!! LOL I agree that it would probably just make things worst, but it is hard for me to tell my friend that their striking was a wrong to do. Maybe it is all talk...hope so.

JHS4EVER
JV Team

Post by JHS4EVER »

If they do I hope the US Government gets the hint!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Philly
All Conference

Post by Philly »

Ok, he was told not to come to work on Monday, and they were to shut down their trucks today....this was to be a nation wide thing. Like I said this was what I was told, I guess we will find out soon.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

I have a good friend who drives and he just called,yesterday and did not say anything about it.

I will try and get in touch with him and see what he says.

Philly
All Conference

Post by Philly »

Good, see if he says the same thing....I couldn't think of any reason, why my friend would not be telling the truth.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Philly wrote:Good, see if he says the same thing....I couldn't think of any reason, why my friend would not be telling the truth.

I wasn't suggesting you were.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

I've got 5 truckers sitting here at the plant as I type this and I just asked them what they had heard and they all said that they heard the rumors going around and all the grumbling at the Truck Stops, but as far as they knew nothing was set in stone as to when or if it was actually going to happen. Some said they had heard it was supposed to have happened yesterday, Monday the 24th, and others said they had heard it was supposed to take place starting the 1st of April, which is April Fools Day. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

Philly wrote:A friend, who has been a long time Trucker, has told me to stock up on things as a strike will happen within the next 2 weeks. Now, I am not saying this will happen. I am just asking if anyone else has heard this? Man, this will really put a crunch on us, but the gas prices are going way too high for the truckers to work.

I saw something about this on the news yesterday, I think it's about time, the only problem the companies will start shipping everything on rail and see it is the more cost effective choice.

Philly
All Conference

Post by Philly »

NCF, no i wasn't saying that you were. I was just wondering if maybe it was to have happened and didn't. Like I said, I wasn't saying that it was going to happen for sure, but that this was what my friend had said , just tonight. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had heard anything about it.

Philly
All Conference

Post by Philly »

Well, I talked to his wife, and she said that he was told not to go to work yesterday, but was called and told that the trucks were to be on the road today, as they were, but that in the next week, or so, they would be shutting down. She said that he really felt this would happen. So a week would take you up to April 1st. As Burg_Grad_77 said, we will have to wait and see!

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Philly wrote:NCF, no i wasn't saying that you were. I was just wondering if maybe it was to have happened and didn't. Like I said, I wasn't saying that it was going to happen for sure, but that this was what my friend had said , just tonight. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had heard anything about it.

He said he had heard other drivers talking about it but, nothing has been organized. He said he doubts they do it because noone can get this organized enough to make it mean much.

someoverkill
JV Team

Post by someoverkill »

What will eventually happen is that gas prices are going to get to the place where companies start foregoing ongoing vehicle maintenace programs. that will make the roads unsfe for everyone.

Boonedawg
S

Post by Boonedawg »

BINGO!

When paying for fuel undercuts maintenence costs then it's going to get ugly out there.......well, at 4 bucks a gallon and 5 mpg....we are way past ugly. I'd bet 60% or better of the trucks out there on the roads could be red tagged by the D.O.T right now. The owners are doing their best to keep the trucks rolling and the drivers paid, but the whole profit is going into the fuel tank and not into maintenence....something's gotta give.

RiverRatZap
SEOPS

Post by RiverRatZap »

Todd Spencer, executive vice president of the Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association, said independent truckers were looking at an April 1st strike on a call in show yesterday. April fools anyone? If audio is posted from this interview I'll post the link later.

Philly
All Conference

Post by Philly »

My friend isn't an Independent Trucker, so this would go deeper than that. He says to stock up, because it will only take 3 days for people to start panicking.

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

not a peep from truckers up around the truck stop up near Newark hubby has now been listening when he goes in.. He'll keep me informed and I'll post as I hear things :122245

Philly
All Conference

Post by Philly »

Yea, I want to know if I have to get to the store and stock up on Toliet Paper :!: :lol: :oops: :roll:

Return to “The Off season”